Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1565 - 06/17/2009 02:23 AM Online Education Programs
rogerpark Offline

I wish to lean a new career and make myself into a more marketable employee for promotions. I have achieved one degree and I am going on for an advanced degree. Since I do not have the time to attend a regular classroom to earn a degree, I was looking for some flexible way to learn, say online learning. There are on-line classrooms with on-line Instructors.

Online college educations offer a more convenient alternative to the traditional college experience. It is for this reason that many individuals today find the option of online education an appealing one.

But it is important to clear some queries prior to signing up. It would be better understanding of both the procedures and expectations associated with college online education. Some of the queries coming up in my mind are like:
1.Are online college accreditations equal in value to accreditations obtained in traditional schools?
2.How do prices compare between college online education and traditional colleges?

#1571 - 06/30/2009 03:47 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: rogerpark]
wilsonmoore Offline

Thats a great idea suzane! Inspite of your busy schedule, you are planning to earn a degree through online programs. Since you are not able to attend regular classes,an advanced online degree will help you in getting promotions in your current workplace.

Regarding accredition, do check before getting enrolled in any university. Make yourself very sure by reading all the terms and conditions and look for things like check its previous achievements, faculty they provide etc. Try to keep yourself out from the vicious circle of bogus universities.

Good Luck for you future :) Hope it helps.

#1580 - 07/13/2009 08:12 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: wilsonmoore]
rogerpark Offline

Thanks Wilson for bringing the most important into notice. There are many fake universities providing degrees and one should take extra precautions before getting enrolled.

#1586 - 07/20/2009 08:26 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: rogerpark]
wilsonmoore Offline

NP :-) so, have you decided which degree you are going to have or still in the process of that?

#1588 - 07/23/2009 08:24 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: rogerpark]
beatrice Offline

The accreditation doesn't really change but it also depends upon the course. For example if it's a course that involves a lot of practical studies or interactions, then it pays to do the course as a regular student.

#1590 - 07/27/2009 07:13 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: beatrice]
rogerpark Offline

Well m looking for advanced degree in managerial communication. Plz someone suggest me how to proceed ahead to pursue this as career.

#1622 - 08/22/2009 00:03 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: rogerpark]
TammyK Offline

I will be starting online next week and can only share the things I've looked into. For me accreditation was a very big issue as it is with alot of employers. Second, if I choose to further my education it also makes a big differance. With regional accreditation I can transfer my credits to a brick and motar school if I wish. Alot of people graduated from places like Devry and found that they had to start over in order to get their bachelors. I will be attending Florida Institute of Technology and my diploma and degree will be exactly the same as though I sat in class.

#1656 - 09/18/2009 02:25 AM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: TammyK]
horse Offline

More than anything be very very careful. Most of the schools that do heavy advertising of their online programs are the ones that are for-profit institutions with bad professors and a shifty curriculum. Yes, many online programs are considered just as good these days as a normal program since.. well.. your future boss won't be able to tell what you did half the time. Even reputable grad schools now offer the programs. The main point is that the US edu system is more and more behaving like the corporate world and making profitable decisions instead of quality decisions. Take care and choose wisely.

#1657 - 09/22/2009 23:20 PM Re: Online Education Programs [Re: horse]
kunio2012 Offline

Thanks a lot for that tip horse.
I'll be sure to watch out for institutions such as these.
Education should actually be a privilege, not a money making scheme.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.