Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1670 - 10/14/2009 16:54 PM 40 years old, thinking of going back for new degree
Angelsmbb Offline

Hello.
I would like to introduce myself: I am 40 years old, married with 3 kids 14, 11 and 2 and I am a stay at home mom. I have a degree in Communications and graduated in 1992. I work a small parttime job in customer service at home. I am now considering going back for a Bachelors in Science possibly in the Nutrition field (something I have often thought about over the last 17 years). I did work full time in budgeting and 401K account management up until 4 years ago when we decided to move south for my husbands job.

Now when I look at the job market and consider that I was not truly enjoying past jobs, I thought this would be the best time to go back. However, the thoughts of college courses(after 17 years,) studying, family, household, kids activities, day care, and the list goes on is very scary and exciting at the same time. Now since I will be going for a BS this will be almost starting over. I am thinking of starting slow (1-2 courses), to see how it goes. Any advice for would be greatly appreciated.

#1683 - 10/30/2009 12:32 PM Re: 40 years old, thinking of going back for new degree [Re: Angelsmbb]
BackToSchool Offline

Someone in your situation will probably consider an online degree. Don't do it!! Many professionals view online degrees as a joke, expecially older professionals who grew up during the era before the rise of the Internet. If you were an employer in today's economy had had just received 500 resumes for an open position (pretty common), would you rather choose someone from an online university or a traditional university? Also, be very, very careful with what you choose to major in. Few few fields are now marketable in the current economy, and there are no promises for the future. Nursing, accounting, and to a lesser extent, engineering, are all good choices. However, just about everything else is now dead. Let's hope you already have the professional experience for the field you want to enter, because a degree by itself is simply not enough. Good luck!

#1725 - 11/25/2009 04:17 AM Re: 40 years old, thinking of going back for new degree [Re: Angelsmbb]
davisturner001 Offline

I feel online education would be best suited since it would not require you to make any adjustment with ongoing routine and you can even take care of other responsibilities also. These days, well recognized universities such as Argosy, Kaplan, and Ashford have started online courses in various fields. They provide excellent curriculum which is regularly updated according to current market trends.

#1738 - 12/15/2009 16:30 PM Re: 40 years old, thinking of going back for new degree [Re: Angelsmbb]
ncdave Offline

Right there with you. I have been considering going back as well and turn 40 in about 15 days.

My situation is a little different as I was a general contractor that is now unemployed and considering changing fields. Figuring out the finances with wife and daughter is going to be the difficult part. But with no other lights seemingly at the end of the tunnel, a change of career and further education doesn't seem too crazy.

It is certainly intimidating and a bit overwhelming to think of going back to school but anybody can accomplish anything if they put their mind to it. Let us know what you decide.

Blessings.

#1767 - 02/15/2010 04:03 AM Re: 40 years old, thinking of going back for new degree [Re: Angelsmbb]
pinku Offline

22 years old, thinking about med school, too late?
Asked by Zach
I'm 22 and I work as a management consultant, just graduated from a top 20 school with an engineering degree in May of this year.I'm making a comfortable living, but I really hate the work I'm doing, and I seem to find little joy in engineering or the consulting profession thus far, mostly because I can't think of the real impact that I'm making in this world, other than helping some other company's CEO make money. I've considered premed in my freshman year of college, but I failed the organic chemistry I class in my first semester, since then I've given up. But, now I am seriously re-considering this option, I'm wondering if this is too late for most med school applicants or if I start over, will that failing grade in orgo haunt me forever, and I'm just wasting my time?

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.