Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1681 - 10/27/2009 15:39 PM What's the first step>>>
Tim F. Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/27/2009
Loc: Washington DC

I'll keep this short. I was majoring in Meteorology @ Purdue University in 1997. I was on academic probation twice and they told me to pursue an associates degree in order to come back. I was honestly overwhelmed by the whole experience of school and decided not to go back and wound up working for a major marketing firm which is my current job now. But, I still want to get my degree in Meteorology just because. Spring 2010 is feeling promising.

Do I have to go to community college first and take basic courses and get my associates in science? Let me know and thanks in advance.

#1693 - 10/31/2009 23:50 PM Re: What's the first step>>> [Re: Tim F.]
Debra Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/31/2009
Loc: Chicago
Great questions and the answer is: it depends. Are you trying to return to Purdue University? Your first step is to contact the school and ask them the questions that you posted here.

As you were on academic probation when you last attended and you've not attended anywhere else since that time, you should check with the school. Some institutions have forgiveness policies. If you've been out of school a certain amount of time they may allow you to start from scratch. If you can't locate a school with your major AND such a policy, your best bet is to attend the community college (cc).

The idea is not necessarily to take basic courses, but to get grades high enough to increase your grade point average and allow you to return to Purdue. More than likely you will not have to stay at the cc long enough to earn an Associates degree although there are benefits to doing so (it's less expensive, more classes that will fit around your work schedule, etc). Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to meet with an academic advisor and share your goals. S/he can make sure that you're on the right track.

'Hope this helps. Good luck!


Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.