Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1513 - 04/21/2009 14:09 PM Financial aid for changing from a BA to AAS?
Mavie Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 04/21/2009
I'm in the middle of my BA program for liberal studies (receiving financial aid.. grants, loans, etc), and I would like to enter the medical field. There is an AAS degree available at another school. If I decided to not finish my BA at my current school, would I be able to receive financial aid at the new school to pursue my AAS?

#1522 - 05/07/2009 09:39 AM Re: Financial aid for changing from a BA to AAS? [Re: Mavie]
Admin Offline


Registered: 12/10/2008
Loc: California
Financial aid is generally dependent on several factors, including the number of hours the student has completed/attempted in pursuit of a degree and the amount of aid already received.

You may need to be determined as making Satisfactory Academic Progress by the school to receive continued Federal aid. Ask the financial aid office of the new school about their policies before making any decisions.
Back to College

#1679 - 10/26/2009 04:39 AM Re: Financial aid for changing from a BA to AAS? [Re: Mavie]
repair2 Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/26/2009
Yes. You just have to update your FAFSA with the new school info, then get an award letter from the new school. Your awards may be different, but you will still be eligible for aid as long as you are in a degree seeking program and your financial situation has not changed a lot.

#1695 - 11/01/2009 00:56 AM Re: Financial aid for changing from a BA to AAS? [Re: Mavie]
Debra Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/31/2009
Loc: Chicago
I know that you posted in April and it is now November, but I want to offer some food for thought. You say you want to move from the BA to the AAS program. The Associates of Applied Science (AAS) is a degree that typically is earned by those who want to get a degree and go to work. Although students who earn it can and do transfer to four-year institutions, it is not generally designed for that. Many of the classes are not transferrable to four year institutions. An AS (Associates of Science) on the other hand, is designed for transfer and many 2 yr schools have articulation agreements with the 4-yr schools, so that the AS will tranfer in its entirety.

If medical school is your goal, you would need a Bachelors degree preferrably in some science area or (psychology if you plan to be a Psychiatrist), so talk to someone in admissions at the medical school that you would like to attend to learn their requirements for entry into their program. You may find that being in that BA program in liberal arts is the best place to be. Add a few more of the science classes, if you have plenty of electives, and you might be in good shape.

If you have not already done so, please check with an advisor at the two-year school to be sure that you are not making a mistake.

And yes. Your financial aid could be affected. In some states, students who have earned 80 semester hours at a two-year school cannot receive additional grant money if they remain at the two-year school (at most 2-yr schools you need 60-66 hours to earn the Associates--funding for up to 80 hours is pretty generous). They must move on to the four-year school. Check with your state's financial aid agency to find out their policy.

I wish you much success!!

#1864 - 07/29/2010 04:25 AM Re: Financial aid for changing from a BA to AAS? [Re: MichelleBrewer]
JAPCY07DE Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 07/29/2010
Thats right.Why do we need to have these financial in our daily lives?Why do we need to wait for approval of the personnel incharge?

guild wars 2 gold

Edited by JAPCY07DE (07/29/2010 04:32 AM)
Japcy Alandy


Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.