Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#171 - 10/29/2001 23:25 PM Am so confused - any help appreciated
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am 35 years old and decided to go to college a year and a half ago. My dream is to become a doctor. I have asked several counselors and have yet to get a straight answer. I would like to know where I need to go after I complete the core classes at San Jacinto College.

I have been told I need my B.S. then my Masters before I can even consider premed school. The premed programs I have looked up state I need Biol. W/lab; 14 sem. hrs, Inorganic Chem. w/lab; 8 sem. Hrs and physics w/lab; 8 sem. Plus English and calculus. Excuse me for being naive, but I get my associate at San Jac. Having done most of these courses and then spend another four years at ... University of Houston retaking these classes again to get a masters and then attend a premed program for two years and then four years at medical school? Do I have this picture correct or have I been misled? When I look at the schedule for Bachelor in Science I seem to be taking the same classes I have already taken. I was also told I need a masters in one of the sciences, exactly where do you find a list of all the science degrees? I am so confused and just want to find out in what order I need proceed. Thanks so much for any help! Tamy

#172 - 10/31/2001 20:13 PM Re: Am so confused - any help appreciated
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Usually when you apply for admission and transfer of credits from a community college to a four year university, the university performs an academic evaluation of your previous coursework. If you successfully completed classes that would count toward the university degree requirements, you would be given credit in that evaluation. However, sometimes the coursework you have taken previously is not seen to fulfill the requirements of the coursework deemed necessary by the university. Have you spoken to a counselor at the University of Houston? You would need to work out an academic plan with the university of your choice as required coursework differs by institution. You can find information on requirements for graduate and undergraduate programs on the university of Houston Web site. I also strongly recommend that you speak to an admissions counselor for needed clarification and direction for your goals. Also, please see our feature article, Getting Full Credit: http://www.back2college.com/credits.htm . Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.