Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1432 - 12/28/2008 00:44 AM 31 and feeling clueless...
Kace Offline

Loc: Alaska
Hi All,

I'm so glad I came across this forum...I'm really not sure what I should be doing at this point... I'm hoping that some of you can help me get "aimed" in the right direction.

I already have an associate degree...worked in aviation for several years. I did office work for a couple years after that (HATED it). I don't want to be in aviation anymore (my hubby is an accountant and I want a regular 8-5 job, too).

My hubby got me to go back to school...taking all the basic classes (General Education Requirements). I just finished my first semester back...I took Intro Biology, Algebra II, Intro Psychology, and Business.

So, here's my major problem... I have NO CLUE what to be when I "grow up"!!! frown

I'm feeling "old"...too old to go back to college and start from the beginning. Mentally, I know it's not true...emotionally, I'm not there.

I guess I look at the different degree options and I haven't found a 2-year that interests me at all... I reeeeeeeeally like math...and am interested in physics...also, chemistry is cool.

All the degrees that involve those topics are Bachelor's...and the jobs require Master's or higher... That's a LOT of school. I just feel really uncertain about it all. My other "complication" is that my hubby is taking a job transfer in about 18 months. So I'll have to change schools in the middle.

I should note that my hubby is completely supportive...just wants me to enjoy school and end up in a career I love. He doesn't care if I spend a couple years in school or a decade...as long as it's what I want to study. (Which I'm very thankful for!!).

All in all...I just wish I had a "dream" to chase. I've had so many things go wrong in life that I'm to a point I'm scared to start anything/try anything...

Thanks for reading all this! Sure do appreciate any advice! :)

#1442 - 01/15/2009 22:19 PM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
Kace Offline

Well, I'm taking Algebra III, Beginning Physics, and Chemistry with a lab this semester.

I guess, deep down, I know I'd love to get a science degree.

Is it too late? I just can't get past my age and how long it takes to get a science degree (looking at 4 - 5 years for a bachelors, as I started at a low math level).

#1445 - 01/19/2009 04:08 AM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Kace,
First of all, welcome to the site! I don't know if you've had a chance to browse it yet, but the Career Planning section has a lot of great tools to help you decide on a major/career. Take a look at it when you get a chance!

Counseling and Career Planning:
http://www.back2college.com/library/couns.htm

#1446 - 01/19/2009 19:44 PM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Admin]
Kace Offline

Thanks for the welcome and the link! grin

Oh...I took that Myers-Briggs test and it said I would do good in science/math. I haven't tried those other two tests. Do you think it would be beneficial to take them all???

I'm leaning heavily towards chemistry now...still leaving math & physics as options, though. Hard decisions!

I'm still feeling "old" to do this, but trying to tell myself "better late than never"! grin

#1450 - 01/22/2009 05:35 AM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
The Meyers-Briggs is very helpful for adults seeking a transition in life, but it can be viewed as more of a personality indicator while other tests target core interests and passions in life. If you are interested in additional guidance, you might investigate career assessment tools and tests.

There are many available online, and the career center at your college or university may also be able to assist you. Career assessment books are also a good resource, such as Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron.

#1496 - 04/03/2009 01:53 AM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
I am 30, and I am a year away from my bachelors and I can taste it!
Do what you love, it is all that matters. Life is too short not to!
I tried going for something I hated when I was younger, and it doesn't work! Chase the dream, not the money... financial success is a bi-product of loving what you do and excelling from pure desire and enjoyment.
If you can find a good 4 year school that has a physical science program, that degree will expose you to a lot of different science disciplines and give you some direction!
At least you are still making progress!
Best of luck!!!

#1546 - 06/02/2009 03:56 AM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
msgoldrush Offline

There's no harm in taking chances, besides your hubby is a very supportive one right? tell you... you're so blessed to have him... It's really hard to go back to college... Though it'll be harder to compete with youngsters who has fresher minds just bear in mind that you just need to pass your subjects and that's it... I suggest any engineering course will be good for you, since you like Math, physics and chemistry... Good Luck!!!

#1568 - 06/18/2009 10:02 AM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
larry Offline

you have to try and find your passion that is something that fulfills you. Stop the habit of wishful thinking and start the habit of thoughtful wishes. harvest the GOLd within you
Larry

#1685 - 10/30/2009 12:57 PM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
BackToSchool Offline

Go for what you love only if what you love will get you a job. This means you either have to love nursing or accounting. If you love anything else, you will enjoy your academics but will be working at Wal-Mart for $6 an hour after your graduation. It's kind of hard to love a boring, low-paying job because you did not major in a marketable field.

#1721 - 11/18/2009 15:32 PM Re: 31 and feeling clueless... [Re: Kace]
barakobama Offline

I tried going for something I hated when I was younger, and it doesn't work! Chase the dream, not the money... financial success is a bi-product of loving what you do and excelling from pure desire and enjoyment.
If you can find a good 4 year school that has a physical science program, that degree will expose you to a lot of different science disciplines and give you some direction!
At least you are still making progress!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.