Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#173 - 07/27/2004 20:26 PM Any Biology majors out there?
biodeb Offline

Loc: Texas
My name is Debbie and I am a biology major at UT Dallas. Just wondering if anyone else is majoring in biology or life science. I am 45 year old mom with four kids and a wonderful husband who operates his own business. I have two girls in college (SFA and Navarro) and a son and daughter who are in high school. All my kids play soccer and are in band. My oldest is a music education major. Yes, it is quite a challenge to juggle everything but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My family will always remain my first priority and so far it is working out well.

I would love to hear from you.

#174 - 07/30/2004 03:43 AM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
Danielle Offline

Loc: NY
Hey Deb-I am 25 years old, decided to go back to school last semester-I am in the Liberal Arts of Science program following a track in Biology at a community college. I then plan to transfer to a 4 yr to earn a BS in Biology/Marine Biology. I am so glad I returned to school-I even made the Deans List with a 3.40 in my first semester back!! I work and go to school-both full time! Good Luck to you!!

#175 - 07/30/2004 16:22 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
biodeb Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Danielle, thanks for the reply. Doesn't it make you feel good to be accomplishing your goals? I am very happy, I just wished it wasn't taking so long. What classes are you taking? Are there many prerequisites for the Marine Biology program at the four year school? Keep up the good work. When you get ready to transfer, make sure you inquire about a transfer scholarship and be sure to check into any honor societies your school may have because you can get money there as well. I will be taking general chem., forensic biology, female biology, and calculus this fall. I am very excited about the forensic class...I love working with microscopes. I will also be taking my final class at the community college to finish up my associate's degree.
Well, take care and thanks again for replying.

#176 - 08/06/2004 17:25 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
NaClH2O Offline

Loc: Ogden, UT
Hi Debbie,

I just saw your post and I thought I'd answer too. My name is Amy, I am 33 and I am majoring in Zoology at Weber State University in Utah. I'm really really glad to see other people here who are into the sciences. I intend to get my BS here and then do my MS and PhD on the west coast, probably Oregon or Alaska. Ultimately I want to be a Research Marine Biologist specializing in Zooplankton. How about you? What are your career plans? What are you taking this semester? Here are my classes: Invertebrate Zoology, Zoology Lab, Zoology Career Orientation, Laboratory Safety, Intro to Chemistry, and Math.

I've already talked some with Danielle, it's nice to find another "scientist" on the forum. Let's keep in touch here, OK?

Amy

#177 - 10/15/2004 18:44 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
amber Offline

Loc: morongo valley, california
hurray!!!!!!!finally I know where all the "older" students hang out! I'm a bio major at University of CA, riverside. I'm 33 and just started my third year there...I'm so happy that I found this site

#178 - 10/17/2004 15:41 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
Don Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida USA
Hi All. I am a 37yo male seriously considering going back to college to pursue what interests me most. Currently I work in computer software and am doing pretty good career wise and financially. However, I am just not happy with what I am doing and daily dream of a job in the sciences field. Two major concerns I have are my age and my possible future. I also never finished college and it would be at the least 2 years before I get any bacheleor degree. Just looking for some opinions from people that may have been in my boat. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#179 - 11/19/2004 05:32 AM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
Steven Snyder Offline

Loc: Alvarado, TX
I am either going the Biology route or Chemistry/Physics. Since I completed General Biology I and II a few years back, it makes sense to go with Biology.

A lot of people here from Texas I see.

#180 - 11/28/2004 15:16 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
superc Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hey Everyone, I'm currently in a bio major, 3rd year at UofT.
it's quite hard here, do you have any bad experiences with inconsistent marking yet? I have actually and somewhat developed a way to deal with it.

anyways, I am pretty new to this board, so I am not entirely sure what to talk about.
Have a nice day!

common college problems? perhaps I can help! : http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/18867/seminar

#181 - 12/05/2004 17:35 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
Marie *work in progress* Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Hello! This is my first post. I am 23, and hoping to go to college this semester for a bachelors in zoology. I am far, far behind on my math, so would only take an english course this semester. I will be working hard to catch up before next semester, so maybe I could take calculus. Does anyone know how hard it would be to get from fractions to calculus in 4 months? I dropped out of school when I was 24 to go to work, and never went back, so this is a big step.

I have 3 children, ages 5, 3, and 1, and my dream is to work in wildlife rehabilitation or endangered breeding programs.

I look forwards to talking with you!

Happy but frazzled wife and mother to 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a gecko.

#182 - 12/20/2004 18:55 PM Re: Any Biology majors out there?
Sagan Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Going from fractions (arithmetic?) to calculus is a rather large step. 4 months seems awfully short.

I believe the course map at the community college I'm at goes something like:

Basic Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra
College Trigonometry
Calculus

Alot of calculus instructors complain frequently about how many of their students do not know how to deal with algebraic or trigonometric equations. Consequently, they often fail or barely pass the class. It's a good idea to get a strong foundation in algebra and trig before calculus, or so I hear.

My $.02

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.