Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#185 - 07/28/2004 05:29 AM College Hopping
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok hereís my story.
Went to college out of HS for two years.
College 1: GPA 2.34
Couldnít afford to go back so I moved and started working with the intensions of going back. But I found a distance-learning program and enrolled in that.
College 2: GPA .56, 1 year suspension and I only took 3 classes. mad
Didnít do so well with the DL program so I quit and decided to take classes at community college.
Community college 1: GPA 2.5
Then I found a school closer to where I live.
Community college 2: GPA 2.55
Then I quit and let time pass. Last class was spring í00.

Now here I am. I want to go back. I am actually eligible to go back to college 1 and 2 as well as both community colleges but really donít want to go back to any of them unless I have too. I calculate my cumulative GPA as 2.22 with almost 75 transfer credits, and want to enroll in a College 3 and end my career there. The GPA requirements for College 3 are 2.0 but how does admissions look at college hopping? Not well I assume.
I am almost counting on the fact that I wonít get accepted to the school I want but plan on taking classes there as a non-degree student and see if they will let me in on a probationary status. My concern is that I do this and still won't get admitted. Iím also considering a school with open admissions but that would be my second choice.
Comments, suggestions.

#186 - 07/28/2004 10:58 AM Re: College Hopping
biodeb Offline

Loc: Texas
Good for you for pushing ahead. Many people have many different reasons for needing to switch schools. I know it looks like you're hopping around but at least you are still making the effort to get a good education.

First of all, don't be shy to ask your first choice college what their admissions policies are. You may be surprised. Second, get all your paperwork in order so that when you get to visit with the admissions counselor you will know what you are doing. Be confident. If it works out that you cannot get into your first choice school, then go ahead and find the next best choice, take classes, build up your GPA then transfer into your first choice school.

Good Luck

Moderator:  Admin 

© Copyright © 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.