Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1928 - 09/21/2010 11:18 AM My Intro - Going Back To School At 40
Keith Offline

Loc: NC
Hello. I just joined this board. My name is Keith. I'm almost 40 years old (my birthday is December 4th). I live in North Carolina.

I am planning to go back to college this spring semester. I went off and off again back when I was first out of high school. A lot of personal issues and so forth lead me to withdraw back then.

Recently the economic recession hit my job. I work for a cleaning service. The main contract I worked under was lost to another company. This company had put in a lower bid than my boss. I had worked at this job for 8.5 years. The last 2.5 were for my current boss. The first 6 were for another man who had had the contract. My current boss had kept me on when he took over. The place I cleaned wanted me to stay. They liked and trusted me. They thought I did a good job. This new man had his own crew so I, along with my co-worker, were not kept on. Right now I am only working one hour a night cleaning my town's bank.

I knew something had to be done. I've been putting in some job applications, but there just aren't many opportunities around here. That's especially true for someone with just a high school diploma. One of the biggest regrets in my life was that I never finished college. I've gone from one dead end job to another over the years. I always felt ashamed when I compared myself to what others I graduated high school with had gone on to do with their lives. I knew that now was the time to get my life turned out. The universe gave me a kick in the pants to get me going. I knew that I needed to further my education.

I went by my local community college this morning. I had been in contact with them the last couple of weeks. I had done an online application. They responded that I was considered a returning student because I had gone there in the past. All I needed to do was come in to update my file.

I did that this morning. They got my information updated. There were courses I took before that will still count so I won't have to take those again. That's great news about that.

I do have to take the math placement test. I'm a little nervous about all of that because I was never good in math in the first place. I've definitely forgotten what little bit I did know about algebra all those years ago. I'm suppose to take the test in a couple of weeks.

I'll be able to go to early registration on November 3rd. I did qualify for financial aid so I don't have to worry about paying for my classes. I was thrilled about that news.

I'm both excited and scared about going back. I'll be 40 when I start. I'm old enough to be the dads of those 18/19/20 years out there. It's going to feel weird. The college has changed so much since I've been out there. I never thought before I would go back to school. I never planned on going back when I left before. I realize now I should never have left. That's been one of the biggest regrets in my life. It played a major part in why my life has not always equaled up to what I hoped for in the past. I'm changing all that now. I've got the will and drive to do what I need to do to better myself and my life.

I plan to finish up my associate's degree here and transfer to East Carolina University. I love history, politics, religion & literature so I'm still finalized what I want to do with my life.

I've written enough. I thought this board would be a good place to meet others who have gone back to school or getting ready to go back. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Plus I'm hoping that I can get some moral support, advice, etc. when I need it. Thanks. Take care.

Sincerely,
Keith

#1933 - 10/02/2010 17:20 PM Re: My Intro - Going Back To School At 40 [Re: Keith]
Cam65 Offline

Hello Keith,
I'm Cam, 44 yr old woman. I've been single for the past 22 yrs and met back up with a man who I was great friends with in high school. We've been together a little over a year and I went to where he was. My family is in the same state, Texas, but 800 miles away.
He works 16 hrs. every day. I just could not be happy with that so, I went back to where my family is and want to go college for the first time. I was married right out of high school and when that didn't last, I came to where family was and then found love again...I'm a bit heartbroken that we are apart but we are still together. We just are not engaged any longer.
I need to find something that I can do while he works and going to college to get an education on ultrasound technology is what I think may like to do.
I know how scary it is....I am very scared but have support from my family and friends.
I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone and you and I will be just fine in our wanting to make a better life.

Take care

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.