Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#2031 - 12/19/2010 00:18 AM Confused About Direction
KoopaKid17 Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I am a twenty-one year old senior currently attending St. John's University. I live on campus forty miles away from my hometown. I am majoring in Accounting, which at first I liked because I did well in high school but it became clear that I set expectations that were too high for myself. I have done commendably in my first two years but grades have steadily slipped since my junior year began. I managed to get into a five-year Masters program on probation that demands a B-average which I have struggled to maintain. I have already registered for the upcoming spring semester but the classes I took in the fall (3 undergrad, 2 grad, 15 credits total) have dented my GPA considerably. I am highly considering a new focus and have thought about pursuing a career in music or writing instead, which my school does not offer. I have talked about this with my dean who recommends I finish an Accounting bachelor's degree and transferring.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Kevin

#2121 - 05/31/2011 21:22 PM Re: Confused About Direction [Re: KoopaKid17]
Advisor Vonne Offline

Hi KoopaKid,

Since you are so close right now to finishing your degree. You should go ahead and follow your deans advice. Get the degree because a career in music or writing is not a very secure field (but what is these days). Not trying to be discouraging, because I dabble with music myself, but at least with your degree you will always have something to fall back on just in case.

If you are just trying to do something else because you feel that accomplishing what you really want is too hard, I would say stay in that field because you're passionate about it. However, if you have really lost passion for your original goals, complete the degree and do what you love.

#2160 - 07/18/2011 06:58 AM Re: Confused About Direction [Re: KoopaKid17]
Bessie Garrett Offline

Hello Everyone,
I'm Bessie and i am also confused about direction can you help me.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.