Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#204 - 08/25/2002 17:55 PM High School drop out returning to college
Greg Offline

I am trying to find money for college. I'm a 28 yr old married man and will be enrolling at the Art Institute of Washington for the fall term which starts on Oct. 7th. I am a former high school drop out but have since got my GED. But because I dropped out of 9th grade I have no real GPA established. This is something that a lot of scholarships go on. If anyone can give me any ideas on where to look for money I would very much appreciate it.

#205 - 08/25/2002 21:34 PM Re: High School drop out returning to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Greg,

You might still be eligible for need based aid from the federal and state government. Check out the information in the Financial Aid section of this site: http://www.back2college.com/library/finad.htm

Mindy :)

#206 - 09/05/2002 05:46 AM Re: High School drop out returning to college
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greg!
Congrats! I dropped out of high school in the 9th grade too! I then raised my kids for 10 years and followed my husband through his career in the military. Somewhere in there I attended an adult course and finally got my High School Diploma! Now, at 32 years old I am back at college. I have been going for 1 year now and am holding a 4.0. I was even nominated for the national deans list! I think as returning adult students the colleges are more understanding about past grades. A professor once told me the great thing about America is that we can fix past mistakes. You said you were married, you should qualify for a pell grant. You can apply online. Go to the FAFSA website for information. It is a great program and money not used comes back to you and helps with travel(gas) and other expenses. Good Luck and let me know how it goes!
Sorry this is so long. Hope this helps!
Celeste

#207 - 09/05/2002 16:31 PM Re: High School drop out returning to college
larrydavis Offline

Loc: Texas
If you find it necessary to work, you should look into tuition aid from any employer. Many of my co-workers take advantage of that.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.