Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#219 - 09/23/2002 19:56 PM How does going back to school affect the family?
estelle Offline

I know that going back to school was difficult, it has affected my family, no organization whatsoever......am I the only one? help, speak up collegues, would love your input! eek

#220 - 10/01/2002 16:01 PM Re: How does going back to school affect the family?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too have a family. Kids in SK and shift working husband. Old house. Old parents.Travel 1.25 hours to university. I have to get really organized the night before going to school. I have explained my needs to husband so he gets why I get stressed. He helps and keeps me going with 'its only 9 more weeks til exams'and 'its just this year'. Perspective is everything. Your messy house seems more acceptable when its the mess of an educated household. I buy/prepare dinners in advance (ie. lots of spaghetti, frozen pizza, etc.) and we enjoy eggs more than we used to. Laundry drives me crazy but again, I just keep trying. Balance. It is worth it to stay up late and be a bit tired but organized, than to be rested and disorganized. It is a constant effort. I've been going part-time for years and am now going full-time.
One final note. I told my daughter that this year there are no clubs, dance lessons, etc.. and no campovers,etc... with Brownies. Its too crazy and it will change. She is very understanding and its nice to see her rely on herself a bit more. She is really learning to be a help in the family. I emphasize how much I need her to help me. Hope this helps.

#221 - 10/03/2002 10:13 AM Re: How does going back to school affect the family?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Going back to school with children both at home and at college is incredibly demanding. Needless to say, it takes a major toll on the homefront. A supportive spouse is very important. It takes actions, not just words to make it work. The kids are more understanding now that they're a bit older (13 & 15), and my college kids are very supportive. I let go of dinner responsibilities on my school nights. That was tough. But my son made dinner for him and his sister. I was very proud of his initiative. My husband ate leftovers. It's just a little painful at times. BUT SO WORTH IT!

#222 - 10/06/2002 18:55 PM Re: How does going back to school affect the family?
farmmom Offline

Loc: midwest
I am going back to school (am a mother of four). You have to have the want and need in your heart and your kids need to have it too.
Life is a wonderful but short term thing - please make the best of it. You can and will make it if you really want it in your heart.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.