Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1827 - 05/27/2010 00:24 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
maddie Offline

Hi. I'm Maddie. Thanks for the new forum. I didn't see it when i was on the website before. I'm 55 yrs old and just completed my first semester after 28 years. I attend University of Memphis. Returning to school was very exciting and i made good grades. I was afraid of not being accepted by the young people,and thought they my look at me crazy, but i was wrong. I also learned there were more people returning to school than i imagined. I registered as a Senior for the fall. My major is Disability and Rehabilitation Services. My graduation date is December 2011. Good luck everyone. If i can do it, so can you.

#1860 - 07/26/2010 23:59 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: ccheney]
uboatcommander Offline

Anyone else here already have a degree ?

I am 44 and got my BS in aerospace engineering right out of high school but never studied so barely graduated (2.01 GPA!!) and never worked in the field and have been mostly self-employed since then.

It is looking like this is a disadvantage- I know my choices were not the best when I was 18 but it's not like I went to prison or anything so I am wondering why admissions looks so harshly at you if you already got a first degree and want to go back to do it right...

Anyone else have a similar situation ?

Edited by uboatcommander (07/27/2010 00:00 AM)

#1863 - 07/27/2010 20:07 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
eddieyourdj Offline

Eddie here, I am slowly chipping away at my undergraduate degree. I took a few yrs off to enjoy time with my son and wife, but now I am ready to hit it hard again. I am 47 and have been with FedEx for 17 yrs. I am working towards a degree in Spanish and want to teach high school. My goal is to be done at age 50. I will have 20 yrs in with FedEx and I can leave and still teach for 15+ yrs. Good luck everyone!!!

#1919 - 09/14/2010 11:23 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
CurtisR Offline

Loc: Akron,Ohio USA
Hi Everyone! Name's Curtis R Cox, please Curt for short! Well as I read down the postings, I see that I am not alone except for maybe one small thing. I have been out of school for 41 years. I feel a like a babe in the wilderness.

#1920 - 09/14/2010 11:26 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: kittyidaho]
CurtisR Offline

Loc: Akron,Ohio USA
I just read you posting and was wondering how your doing. I'm 59 and just started back myself. Wow has it been awhile!

#1922 - 09/14/2010 23:30 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
doglover510 Offline

Hi I am 35 women. who is thinking about going back to school I am so glad I found this site. I Have been for someone to talkl about this with. I am single just move, doing a job I like but don't love. Plus I have always wanted to work with needy kids< I want to be a socail worker, but I am scared and trying to find a way to go to school pay the bills. i a job that I work anytime from 9 am - 11 pm any day of the week and they want to promote me so they will not work with my hours.

#1935 - 10/02/2010 17:57 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Cam65 Offline

Hello. My name is Cam, I'm a 44 yr old lady who has been doing for everyone most of my adult life. 22 yrs ago, I was involved in a tragic auto wreck which left me disabled but not unable to be a normal human being. I can run, laugh, talk, write, ect. I just do not know where to start when it comes to starting to go back to school. I did go back and got my cosmetology license after a few months after the wreck but that is a problem now as I am not up to date on anything and have not got the yearning to do make up on ladies as I used to have
If there are any ladies or gents out there who are in their middle to late yrs and going to go back to college , can you please give me pointers as to where to start, other than go to the community college and ask questions.
That is what I plan to do this next Monday, I really do not want to do online but with an instructor.
Thank you for reading this and if there is anyone out there, please reply

thanks

#1952 - 10/16/2010 17:38 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
mhay Offline

Loc: Mi.
Hello all, my name is Mary, and I am 53. I went back to school last Fall 2009. I took Accounting I. I was working part time, so I only took the one class, and managed a 4.0 in the class. I suffer from depression, and it was pretty bad at the time, so I didn't return in the Spring. However:), I cannot stop thinking about going back. I feel it is something I must finish, but the old fear comes back, a little different this time around. I am worried that I have forgotten everything that I learned in the first semester!

#1953 - 10/16/2010 17:43 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Cam65]
mhay Offline

I completed all my applications, and fees online. I also chose my class schedule online, but I went to the school for classes. Check online to see if your local college offers this option, otherwise, as you are planning, you should go to the college admissions office.

#1954 - 10/16/2010 17:47 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Cam65]
mhay Offline

Hi again, I forgot to add that you should apply for Fafsa, it is a federal student grant, and will pay for school, if you qualify, and most of us do. You can also find this online, just look for Fafsa online.

#2076 - 03/19/2011 03:25 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
jnielsen980 Offline

Hi Everyone

My name is Jamie Nielsen. I graduated from a degree in Higher Education. I have joined this site to see if I can offer advice to anyone who maybe thinking about going back to school. I would eventually like to compile enough information to put together a manual to help non-traditional students.

#2077 - 03/22/2011 01:17 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
stargazer Offline

I am a 48 year old woman that has returned to school after receiving my AA 13 years ago. My children are now grown and I have been divorced for several years. I returned to receive my bachelors degree and discovered that I still needed about a year and half to take more prerequisite courses. I have now accomplished that along with a certificate course for an assisted living administrator. I am so excited to have found this site. Being an older student sometimes finds you on the outside looking in. However, I have had some great experiences and really am enjoying this time in my life. Like many of you I made the choice to put family needs before mine. I am glad of the choice I made at the time but there is something to be said for second chances to appreciate the knowledge that we as older students have acquired. I am currently enrolling for the fall semester at Tarleton State University through Mclennan Community College in Waco, Texas. I will major in Business Administration for my bachelors and continue with a Masters in Psychology. Good luck to everyone and I will look forward to reading all the great information on this site.

#2082 - 03/31/2011 01:52 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
nicoleweems8935 Offline

When I have my general ed classes done I will transfer to a private school to double major in Theater and either English, Social Studies or Spanish and get my teaching license..

#2141 - 07/11/2011 09:37 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: nicoleweems8935]
DonMiguel Offline

Hi! I'm retired from the Air Force and returning to school at the age of 50 to study International Affairs at UGA. Plan on employment with an international aide organization.

#2391 - 12/13/2011 07:43 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: DonMiguel]
thomas15 Offline

Hi everyone. I'm Tom. I received a BS degree in 1981 and have worked in sales since then. I'm not complaining but many times I ask myself the quesstion "what do I want to do with my life?"

Back in my school days I wanted to complete my degree in Medical Technology but I did not get along well with math so I settled for a liberal arts degree. Now, like others here have mentioned I'm finally going to correct my mistakes, make peace with math and get that degree. At 53, it may take a number of years, I work a full and part time job but I like to stay busy and I'm determined to do well at the expense of speed. My first excursion into academics will be an intro to algebra class, starting in January.

#2426 - 02/24/2012 08:47 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: Shrkb8kid]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Check out the article, Revisiting Math. There are resources there that might help.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.