Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#2486 - 05/23/2012 17:40 PM Returning to college after 3 years. How likely is it?
Jma0322 Offline

Loc: Vermont
I'm unsure about whether I'll be accepted at a decent four year undergrad program. I really want to return to school, but I'm afraid I may be undesirable as an older student by some better schools. Especially considering...
I didn't finish highschool and never took SATs.

I attended community college part time for a year, then full time for 5 semesters. I have 87 credits completed. My GPA when I left was about 3.65.

I've since moved across the country and have been working full time for almost two years. I'm quitting my job and returning to community college to finish an associate's degree (they're only requiring I complete 15 credits residency, including one required course).

Most of my course work was in psychology, but I've grown much more interested in finding a good game design or computer science program.

Now that I'm looking at transfer student requirements at some local schools, they ask for SAT scores and other requirements I'm not sure I meet. Is it even worth applying to these schools?

#2487 - 05/24/2012 10:50 AM Re: Returning to college after 3 years. How likely is it? [Re: Jma0322]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
The fact that those schools are asking for your SAT score is surprising. At many four-year schools, if you've earned an Associates Degree, you meet the admissions requirements. What types of schools are you considering? Are you looking at the four-year state institution? Ask for a waiver of the SAT score and see what they say.

By the way, nontraditional students are the norm nowadays. I seriously doubt that your age will be held against you. What state are you in? Try to find an Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) one of the federal TRiO programs, in your area. They can assist you with the process of transferring to a four-year institution. Good luck!

#2488 - 05/25/2012 02:36 AM Re: Returning to college after 3 years. How likely is it? [Re: Debra]
Jma0322 Offline

Loc: Vermont
I'm in Vermont. Looking at UVM and Champlain college. The state colleges I've looked st don't offer the programs I'm interested in.

#2491 - 05/31/2012 07:27 AM Re: Returning to college after 3 years. How likely is it? [Re: Jma0322]
thomas15 Offline

Fill out an application to the college(s) of your choice and have your community college transcripts sent to those colleges. It is possible that you might have to take the COMPASS or accuplacer test for math placement but with a 80+ credits and a 3.5x GPA I cannot see why any college would need an SAT score.

If you don't want to spend the time and money on an application fee and transcripts simply make an appointment with admissions but the nice thing about a submitted application and official community college transcripts is that it takes all doubts out of the colleges mind as to your abilities and motivation.

#2494 - 06/10/2012 01:29 AM Re: Returning to college after 3 years. How likely is it? [Re: Jma0322]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
The Educational Opportunity Centers (EOC) are federally-funded TRiO programs designed to help adults who do not hold a bachelors degree with the college-going process. The services provided are free. You have to qualify for the program to receive the free services, but that's not difficult to do. Dr. Carol Bokan is the Assistant Director of the EOC program in Vermont hosted by the Vermont Student Assistance Program. You may contact Dr. Bokan for advice via email at Bokan@vsac.org.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.