Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#249 - 04/12/2003 12:08 PM Should I even try to return to school?
sweetpea_pa Offline

Loc: Central PA
Hi!! Here is my situation. I starte at a 4 year school, but had some personal issues. My boyfriend whom I lived with at the time, wouldn't allow me to study, and when I didn't go home, he stalked me on the campus. I did miserabley that year....as in failed. But I have since met and married a wonderful man who supports me 100%. I am just finishing a medical office diploma program that I have done very well in, BUT my dream has always been to become a doctor. After my past history, do you think that it would be possible for me to get accepted to an undergrad program and then continue on? I just don't know what to do.

#250 - 04/13/2003 06:44 AM Re: Should I even try to return to school?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Sweetpea,

Yes, it is possible for you to move on!! Starting over with a less than stellar academic past has been covered in the site <a href="http://www.back2college.com/library/faq3.htm">FAQ</a> (Frequently Asked Questions) and elsewhere in the forums. Congratulations on your accomplishment and determination! Best wishes to you.

#251 - 04/16/2003 12:33 PM Re: Should I even try to return to school?
mlbatlanta Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Hi Sweetpea.

That is great that you have finished the medical diploma program!You are on a roll now! Find out from whatever undergrad college you plan to attend, what you need to do to get accepted. Ask if any those courses (like math, science or english)will transfer. Fill out the application. Pay the application fee. Have the medical program send your transcript over. You may have to write an appeal letter stating why you should be admitted to the school, ask the admissions office. Since you have done very well in the medical program, you most likely will probably be accepted. Most likely when you are accepted, you will be taking the core courses first like math, english, history, science, sociology etc. Don't overload your schedule. Maybe just start off taking one to two courses, no more than three whatever your schedule allows. If you have any problems in any of your courses (you probably won't since it sounds like you are a very smart person), find out if there is free tutoring available or get with other classmates in the courses to study with. Its great you are married to wonderful man that treats you right and is supportive.

Let me give you a quick short testimony. Failed twice in college frown . After so much frustration and failure, I stopped for 15 years frown . I went back in 1998 with a low, very low, bottom of the barrel GPA frown !. Wrote an appeal letter to get in and wrote an appeal letter for financial aid too! :) . Graduated from Georgia State University in May 2000 with BA in Speech Communications and a minor in Sociology :) . Currently working on my Masters degree online at Capella University. Hope to be finished by the summer cool .

I know you can do this. Just find out what you need to do. Take it from a older woman of wisdom, it is possible. All things are possible with God!

#252 - 05/28/2003 19:12 PM Re: Should I even try to return to school?
Erin Offline

Loc: New York
I went to college for five years and I never finished. I was asked to leave, because I did not finish the require core requirements and I needed to take my credits, than I was already taking. I thought about going back, but I am scared and don't know if I will be able to handle the course load.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.