Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#2528 - 08/14/2012 12:59 PM Regaining PELL
morri896 Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 08/14/2012
Loc: Florida
I'm 21 years old, I went to college when I was 17 for one semester, but I wasn't responsible enough and my grades fell enough to lose my PELL grant. I work for minimum wage but I could save up enough to take one or two classes by myself, I'm wondering if that could get my PELL back if I did well. I also have an outstanding stratford loan from before, which I know will prevent me from getting PELL, how would I find out how to pay it? when I finally called the people that it was through (about two years ago) they said it was defaulted and they had no idea how I could clear it up now.

#2543 - 10/12/2012 12:26 PM Re: Regaining PELL [Re: morri896]
Debra Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/31/2009
Loc: Chicago
First of all, are you sure you lost your PELL eligibility? Usually it takes more than one semester to lose it. A first semester student who earns bad grades usually has a second semester to improve their grade point average. Check with the financial aid office at the school you attended to be sure about your PELL eligibility. If it was indeed lost, you should be able to regain it by petitioning to the school. Although every school is different, this usually means writing a statement explaining what happened the first time and telling them what has changed that it will be different the second time around. You may be given a probationary period to show that you can do college level work. And yes, you are correct. If you have a defaulted loan, you will not be eligible for state or federal financial aid. As there are numerous ways to get a student loan out of default, it is strange that the lender could not share with you the remedies for your defaulted loan, that could take as little as 3 months to 12 months. There is not enough room here to go into the remedies, so I suggest that you go to the financial aid office at your school. An advisor should be able to share with you the remedies and you can select the one that works best for you.


Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.