Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#1094 - 09/29/2006 09:58 AM 38 wants to go back to school..
atlsweet38 Offline

Loc: atlanta
Hi everyone... I'm a 38 years old with a 5 year old and a 3 year old with a full time job. and let me not forget a single mother. For the last few weeks i've been thinking more and more about going back to school, as you have read above i'm wondering if it will stay a dream.. so i've been searching the web looking for people my age or older than has went back to college. Even students who are currently in college and are younger than i am.. All advice is greatly appreciated...

#1095 - 09/29/2006 21:21 PM Re: 38 wants to go back to school..
tt82 Offline

Do it!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET YOUR DECISION.

If you do not already have a degree you will be eligible for the HOPE scholarship if you maintain a 3.0 gpa. Start off with one or two classes.

GOOD LUCK!!!

#1096 - 10/01/2006 22:04 PM Re: 38 wants to go back to school..
mompha Offline

Loc: Pa.
Hello -- I understand the fear... I am a married 45-year-old stay-at-home mom of 5. I have always worked at home (mostly selling on eBay for a long time), but we are really broke! Anyway, I have been wanting to go back to school for so long, but I feel so selfish about it. We are in financial stress big time. My oldest just started college and my youngest is 4. I feel crazy saying it, but I want to go to law school (but have only about 12 credits toward undergrad degree). I should have done this a long time ago -- Perhaps it's too late -- That's what I've been telling myself for the last few years. Any advice, suggestions or comments are welcome, needed and would be greatly appreciated.

#2355 - 11/02/2011 09:58 AM Re: 38 wants to go back to school.. [Re: ]
Ella05 Offline

I have been wanting to go to College ever since I can think of, but the military life, two kids and the fear of failure kept me from it.. Well, I happen to think that at the end of our lives we will regret all the things we haven't done, so yesterday I finally went to the Community College here and took the placement test and scored high :) i will start taking classes in January. I am 36 by the way and I work part-time. I will try to take online classes as much as I can. Hopefully it won't take me forever to finish, not sure how many classes I will be able to take per semester with work, kids and a household to run.

#2424 - 02/03/2012 21:18 PM Re: 38 wants to go back to school.. [Re: atlsweet38]
salman12 Offline

hello friends,

I am a married 25-year-old stay-at-home mom of 5. I have always worked at home (mostly selling on eBay for a long time), but we are really broke! Anyway, I have been wanting to go back to school for so long, but I feel so selfish about it. We are in financial stress big time. My oldest just started college and my youngest is 4.
------

#2445 - 03/28/2012 10:45 AM Re: 38 wants to go back to school.. [Re: atlsweet38]
GFD Offline

Loc: TX
You can do it!:)

I went back to school later in life and the best advise is to take it one small step at a time. I have a family, work full time, and took 12 hrs the first semester - ouch. I will not do that again. If you take one or two classes per semester, you will get there. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Take care and God Bless!

#2565 - 01/14/2013 20:26 PM Re: 38 wants to go back to school.. [Re: GFD]
handymanlondon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hello! I'm Gregor and been away for some time. As I read all posts here I'm about to convinced that going back to school is crucial. Thank you for giving inspiration.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.