Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258 - 09/03/2004 08:40 AM Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope everyone else will do the same.

My name is Mindy. Im from the Chicago area. I am a 24 year old mom to a 1 1/2 year old. I also work 28 hours a week (serving and bartending) then on top of all that I desided to go back to school. So I dont have to be a server the rest of my life. Anyway. I am currently enrolled at classes through U of Mass online program. I went to Iowa state right out of high school so I have about 90 credits. My husband graduated and moved up here we started a family so school got put on hold. Now its time to go back. This is my first semester and Im hoping it goes well. Oh and Im going to school for Information Technology.

#259 - 09/08/2004 00:47 AM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am in Australia and have decided to go back, I am 24 with a 7 month old daughter. I am working two days per week and trying to work out how to juggle two subjects (stats and philosophy) a husband and a baby, and work!

I am studying via distance ed at the moment, starting with a Bachelor of Science until I work out what I want to do. I know that while the job I have isn't too bad it isn't what I want to be doing for the rest of my life :)

#260 - 09/08/2004 20:56 PM Re: Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

wow, we sound alot a like. I know, it is hard to juggle everything! But i think if its something i want to accomplish, ill find ways to do it.

Mindy

#261 - 09/09/2004 05:12 AM Re: Introductions...
Miranda Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi! My name is Miranda. I am 29, married with 3 children, stay at home mom. I just took my assessment test on Tuesday, and I passed! So I'm ready for college classes. I just have to get back over to the school and fill out the financial aid forms. My plan is to start this coming spring. It will have to be online courses, as my youngest child is still at home(3 years old). I am going for a BSN. Starting in community college and then nursing school. I live in south Texas. Nice to meet you!

#262 - 09/09/2004 07:29 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Hello!

I'm Melissa, a 31 year old mother of 3 boys ages 12, 11, and 5. I just started my first semester at community college. I am taking 9 credits at night and weekends while continuting to work from home full-time M-F. I decided not to do an online class right now since I find it difficult to be self-motivated.

When I have my general ed classes done I will transfer to a private school to double major in Theater and either English, Social Studies or Spanish and get my teaching license.

I'm a little nervous about everything! I have to have a rough draft of my paper done by Monday!

#263 - 09/09/2004 19:33 PM Re: Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

HI miranda, and mellisa!

What kind of classes are you taking mellisa?

#264 - 09/10/2004 03:57 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

#265 - 09/16/2004 12:15 PM Re: Introductions...
BETTY GALARZA Offline

Hi everyone,
I've completed my readmission app and just have to mail it. I hope to start classes in the spring. I'm 37 years old with 2 children ages 3 and 11 and a hubby and a part time job. I'm not nervous--I've been trying to complete my college education for years--I've got about 65 credits--so I'm half way there. I'm majoring in psych and hope to complete graduate studies in law. Maybe I'll be done by the time I'm 70 ish. Good luck to all.
Betty

#266 - 09/16/2004 15:49 PM Re: Introductions...
BKSews Offline

Loc: Westerville Ohio
Hello Everyone,

I went back to school about 3 years ago, after a ten year break when I had my daughter. I had been in school for approx. 4 years before then. I am 47 years old, work full-time and a wife and mother. I usually take 2 classes a quarter, which allows to have financial aid. I am anxious to hear from others how they are doing in school. At first, it was scary, but you get more comfortable as you go along. It is weird now, because I am the same age as most students parents, but they have been great to work with. Good luck to everyone and I hope to hear how great things are going for all of you.

#267 - 10/14/2004 11:20 AM Re: Introductions...
windygirl Offline

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Hello, My name is windygirl and I am 47 have two children or rather one adult child 27 and one 10, I know I started all over. I have always wanted to go to school but I decided to work and help my husband go to school. I worked in retail for 20 years, and now I am changing trying to go back to school. I have just enrolled in a Commercial Collage so I can become a Medical Office specialest. I too am scared to death. But I just had to try something different.
I thought about on line degrees but was afraid I could not do the course work, and taking the SAT to get in a four year School was just as scary. at the comericial collage all I had to do was come up with the money. Thank fully I have a 401K that I am taking out. Yes I will have to pay a penelty for taking it out early but I figure this way I dont have to pay a loan back, when I asked about a grant. I was told with my husband's income I did not qualifiy. Maybe I should get a divorce. Because then I would not have any income. School start for me Oct. 25. PS I still have not told my Husband. He does not suport me in this and thinks I'am stupid He says a 47 years old woman can not make it in school. I will prove him wrong.

#268 - 12/17/2004 03:10 AM Re: Introductions...
dsg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hello,

I am Dave, I thought I was too old to go back to school when I was in my thirties...then I turned forty. I thought to myself, if I had started school when I was thirty-two, I would have my degree by now. At 45, I said, "If I had gone back to school when I was 40, I would be close to having my degree. Finally, my wife tired of me always saying that and had me take one four credit course at a community college, so I thought...since I don't know how to type...I should take keyboarding. I liked it... I was hooked.

I started out with math 081. and each quarter I would take these pre-college courses. I am now 15 credits from my Associates degree, and have a 3.4 gpa. In high school my average was 1.9.

I am planning to apply to the U of W, in the Business program. I have a 3.6 in the courses that they use for admitting students.

The fall quarter is over and I just finished Geology and Intro to law. Next quarter I am taking Psy.110 and Ast.100...

Spring quarter I will take Hum.105. That's it.

I have made some friends that are now in the Universities in the business programs. All of them tell me that it seems all they are doing are "presentations". I get so nervous talking in front of the class. I feel that a little because of my age. But truthfully...it has always been a fear of mine. So, in fall quarter if I need to wait to enter the U of W, I will take a speech class.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is something that I have been looking for a long time. In fact the community college that I go to...just started a group for those students over 40.

I currently have been working in a hotel for 22 years, I work full time, and take 10 credits a quarter.

My dream is to open up my own business, if there are other business majors out there...lets talk.
Or anyone that is serious about school.

My favorite subjects are statistics, and economics. If I could've gone back for any subject...it would have been writing.

Merry Christmas all,

I am working on my essays now. One for the U W itself, and the other for the business program.

Dave

#269 - 12/31/2004 11:11 AM Re: Introductions...
LuckyLearner Offline

Loc: USA
Hello,

I'm Carol, I never was a college student. Although, the program I completed from the EOTC did net me 1 college credit. I posted more about myself in response to Gayla's thread, about New Year, Old Dreams.
My main concerns are cost and housing (if I go to a non-local school.)

#270 - 01/05/2005 19:01 PM Re: Introductions...
smarteepants Offline

Hi - I'm Nikki, a 30 yr old mom to a 10 yr old son. I attended college about 10 years ago and stopped going when I got pregnant with my son. I have just decided to go back and I am in the application stages.

#271 - 01/14/2005 15:40 PM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi my name is Helen. I am from Ireland and have een living in California for the past 10 yrs. The reason I have never back to school is because I am so intimidated by not knowing the system here in the USA. I have all kinds of jobs and currently teach yoga. this was a big step from bartending, waiting tables, nannying, cleaning houses ect. It is hard to make a living at though. I get so full of fear when I look at job oportunities and see that I am not qualified for anything that pays a good wage. i have always blocked the idea of school because of "my irrational fear". I am slowly creating the possibility of opening myself up to taking some classes. My confidence in this area is as weak a baby chick!!! i am 32 yrs old and sick of being fearful of bettering myself. What is wrong here? Any insight? any advice? Any words of wisdom would be of help. I have'nt been to school for about 15 yrs. Yikes!! My BIGGEST fear is MATH. I feel like that subject blocks off all my options. I would like to be in the area of couseling, psychology....ect. Those would be my 1st choice. OK, enough from me.......Good luck to all of you out there who are walking through YOUR fears. Helen.

#272 - 01/17/2005 09:51 AM Re: Introductions...
ccheney Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi I'm ccheney which stands for crissy cheney. I just found this site yesterday and I'm really excited about it. I'm 27 years old married with a 4year old and a 21 month old. I currently have a part time job in the evening. I also have taken classes in the past. I have 28 credit, but I quit when my son 4yr old son was born and now I'm ready to go back. I've just started filling out the paper and trying to figure out what classes to take. I'm curious I have been looking into taking online classes, but I don't know where to begin. Are there any suggestions? Thanks and good luck to everybody.

ccheney

#273 - 04/04/2005 12:10 PM Re: Introductions...
AlaskaMechanical Offline

Loc: Wyoming Via Alaska
Hello, my names Matt and I'm planning on going back to college either this fall, or possibly this summer. I've been a cabinetmaker most of my life, but due to some loss of vision I think it's time to learn something new. As of right now my plan is to major in Computer science towards the goal of working in the CyberSecurity business, however I do want to speak with some advisors before commiting myself. I'm looking forward to some new challenges and to having a goal to work towards. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you too!

#274 - 04/05/2005 06:25 AM Re: Introductions...
WildEEP Offline

Hi all..I'm WildEEP and I'm an alco..err wait, wrong meeting....=) (comon it was a joke, and it was funny too, you know you chuckled)

I am 25 years old, and I start school this fall. I graduated back when I was 16 years old so its been basically a decade since I last stepped into a classroom.

Its been an interesting road back to this point, but I'm really excited about starting full time come August.

I'm a firm believer that determination is 9/10ths of the battle, and I'm more determined to do this than anything else in my life. We'll see if my belief holds water in practice. =)

Anywhoo..its good to meet all of you and know that there are others out there who didnt just follow the normal track of education and jump into college directly out of HS, and even the fact that some are on the road back after having dropped out.

Good luck to you all =)

#276 - 04/27/2005 19:02 PM Re: Introductions...
*kate* Offline

I am going back to college after some home reasons I had to quit until now. This feels hard but I have to give it a try. But some of the classes look hard,when I look at the list.
I should start soon. confused
good luck all :)

#277 - 05/13/2005 05:33 AM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

Mt name is Dave and I've been going to school since 1987 off an on. Finally about 4 years ago I said - "I sticking with it this time"

I graduate in a week!

I know it seems tough right now, but you gotta belive me - it's worth it. Go for it folks - and stick with it too.

You be a better person for it.

#278 - 05/13/2005 08:01 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

That's great, Dave!!!

What degree are you getting? Did you go full time or part time?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.