Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#279 - 05/14/2005 10:30 AM Re: Introductions...
roddy59 Offline

Loc: home
Hi everyone;

My name is Rod. I am a 45 year old who is looking at completing a degree that should have been done nearly two decades ago! All I want to do is finish with a junior college degree, I am happy at my present job althou with the rate technogoy is going it may be gone in 10 years (I'm a supermarkert checker). I live in a college community (Moscow-Pullman) so I know alot about the stresses of studying for finals/tests, writing papers, etc. My wife is somewhat supportive but she has her doubts about me making it as I need to get my math done. Get this--she's a math major grad and I'm struggling with fractions!!! So right now I'm studying on my own with this low-level math but get discouraged at times then detrimined to get this stuff down. she doesn't want to put out the money if I can't do this. I was encouraged after reading the intros to this website. Any advise or encouagement would defintly be welcomed!!!

#280 - 06/11/2005 14:51 PM Re: Introductions...
chufflebean Offline

Loc: Ohio
My name is Valerie. I just graduated, but I got a degree in the WRONG major! I spent the last semester student teaching in a place sometimes known as ****! Anyways, I'm going to post a detailed message about my educational difficulties, so for now let me say that I am happy to be a new member of this board. You all seem like nice people.

As for me, I'm living in Ohio, and I spend most of my time playing around on my computer or working at Bob Evans. I also like crafts!

Peace to you!

#281 - 07/12/2005 08:44 AM Re: Introductions...
jmat Offline

Loc: nyc
I'm J. I live in NYC - I'm 30 and have just started my undergrad A.S in Math/Science with a Physic emphasis which I plan to transfer to a B.S in Physics at the State University in about 2 years.

Right now, I can take night/Saturday classes and work days pretty easily, when I transfer that will change and I will need to work out going during the daytime.

I went to a liberal arts college for 2 years after high school and did poorly in my 2nd year because I knew I wanted to quit and didn't think I'd go back. I did a semester of distance learning courses and then quit because I was not challenged by the program.

My ultimate goal is to finish my B.S within 4-5 years, while working, and then get into a good grad school, so a high GPA is a big priority.

#282 - 07/20/2005 16:30 PM Re: Introductions...
oneness1 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello, my name is Sandell(pronounced San-dell, not Sandal), I am 45 and have been going to school off and on since 1992. I attend a community college and I am going for a degree in Medical Administration Assistant. I feel this will never end, but I know if I persist I will graduate. Hopefully this will happen next year. For all of you that have questioned about going back or staying in college. Please stay, you will not regret it.

#283 - 07/25/2005 12:30 PM Re: Introductions...
baldtat Offline

Loc: Palmdale, CA
Hi, all. I just stumbled onto this website. I've been in school myself since 1981, on a variety of missions. I served a 5 year trade apprenticeship along with the requisite schooling. It took me from 1981-2001 to get my AA degree. Well, that was the long way around.
At any rate, in 2003, I returned to complete my
bachelor's degree. I'm headed into my senior year this fall. I expect to graduate in 2007 with a B.S. My major is Computer Information Systems, and my minor is Business. I've spent the last 20 years in the electronics/telecommunications industry on the field installation side. I've decided I want to move out of the field. Sometimes I'm a little nervous about the major I chose, but I still think it's a viable degree. The thing about a degree is that it shows that you have discipline, and the determination to follow a plan through. Those are very marketable skills.
Well, that's my two cents. Encouragment to all; and those of you not sure: Just do it already.

#284 - 08/08/2005 10:38 AM Re: Introductions...
Katie Offline

Loc: Miami
Hello, My name is Jackie and I'm 25 and going back to school after 5 years, with neither kids nor husband.

#285 - 08/09/2005 02:01 AM Re: Introductions...
bug2u Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach
Do not feel bad because of your age, feel GREAT because you are so much smarter than anyone you will be attending school with(don't go overboard)!. Just remember that anyone that is 18-22 or 23 thinks they are the smartest people in the world!!! Just study hard, do your assignments, and get good grades- then apply for any scholarship program your school sponsors!!.

#286 - 08/21/2005 06:30 AM Re: Introductions...
PaulaEdwina Offline

Loc: Orrtanna, PA
My name is Paula. I am a biologist with a BSc in Microbiology and a ABT (all but thesis) MSc in Environmental. I was happily ensconced in HIV drug development for the last 10yrs with the NCI. Then we got laid off and I had to find another job. I saw how vulnerable techs are - we had a couple of techs looking for jobs 5 years shy of retirement (without success).

So I did find another tech job and it's okay. It's just that I've been disabused of the idea of permanence in this field. I'm 36 and could have easily retired working at NCI, now I don't feel so secure.

So I thought about going back and doing a Public Health Master's but realized that I would be putting alot of energy to a career I'm not sure I want. Anyway, I've always liked architecture and just last year designed and had built a small house (1008) in the woods. I like the challenge of designing a smart, ergonomic, efficient, universal access, aesthetic house. My dad is in the business so I grew up around it. I absolutely enjoyed looking for a particular window, researching insulation, being part of the planning, arguing with the subs, etc. I pass by empty lots and know exactly what should go there!

Now that I have my little home, I still want to build more houses - can't afford that of course. So I thought I'd learn to do it for other people. So as of TOMORROW Monday, Aug. 22nd I'm going back to school - to my local community college for an AA in Architectural Technology with hopes of transferring to a 4yr program for a Bachelor of Architecture.

I think it's a good move. I have never been THIS excited about school. I hated highschool, I was a slacker in undergrad and I didn't follow through with grad school. I think maybe because I liked what I did but I did not LOVE it. This time around I'm making dorky spreadsheets scheduling my classes for the next three years! I'm going to owe a huge stafford loan at the end of this, but I think it's where I should be heading.

Sorry for the long post. I'm glad I found this forum.
Paula

#288 - 08/22/2005 17:56 PM Re: Introductions...
PaulaEdwina Offline

Loc: Orrtanna, PA
Good for you! At the end of our lives we won't be grateful for the time we wasted doing what others wanted us to do.

Paula

#289 - 09/28/2005 13:31 PM Re: Introductions...
ElaineA Offline

Loc: Grand Prairie, TX
Hi everyone,
My name is Elaine, and I am a mother of 2. An 8 yr old and a 3 yr old. I have been in community college for 3 yrs now, and am ready to transfer to a University.

#290 - 01/01/2006 12:55 PM Re: Introductions...
Cyndi Offline

Loc: TN.
Happy New Year to everyone! I am a Mommy to five wonderful children, three boys, 2 girls. Ages 9, 7, 6, soon to be 3 and 14 months. I will be starting classes Jan. 17th...to be honest I'm excited about going back, I've been a stay at home Mom for so long, it's time I did something for myself and for my kids. I do admit feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all..any suggestions?

#291 - 01/02/2006 19:30 PM Re: Introductions...
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
I thought I replied to this earlier, but don't see it. .Here's hoping this doesn't turn into a duplicate post. Thanks, Mindy for starting this thread. This is a great list, and I am amazed at the way it is growing.

I am here because I love to talk to and about adults going back to school for more education. My doctoral area is higher education, and I have been in many of your shoes as far as being a working adult returning to school, although never with several samll children. My name is Jan and I am 55. I started my doctoral degree when I was 43, got married again at 50 and took an extended honeymoon.

Now that I am back into my research area, I realize that online education has really boomed in the past 5 years, and there is an overwhelming amount of information out there.

Cindi, what do you want to study? Are you most interested in having a bachelor's degree, or in learning for getting a job at some future time?

Will you be look into financial aid programs?

How are your computer skills?

A lot of the answers to your questions depend on these types of things.

#292 - 01/03/2006 03:00 AM Re: Introductions...
Cyndi Offline

Loc: TN.
I plan to get a BA of Science in Nursing, I do have financial aid, although never completely enough. My computer skills are great. I simply want to better myself and contribute more to my children. We're all excited about my returning to college. Thanks for replying! :)

#293 - 01/03/2006 07:46 AM Re: Introductions...
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Cindi...

That's an excellent field, and you are so lucky to have your husband and family's support. Your children will also benefit from seeing Mom's example.

If you have good computer skills, and are willing to do a lot of reading, online education will be easy for you.

In addition to the Federal Financial aid programs, which include Pell Grants that you don't have to repay, some states have special tuition assistance programs for students going back to school. I hope you have checked those out, too. And of course, making good grades early on will increase your chances of getting a scholarship later. (I have a feeling that won't be any problem for you!)

In general your money will always go further at public schools and universities. If you attend one of them in your state, they will also give you credit for two years at a community college, as long as the subjects you take are in their prerequisite list. Many of these now offer online courses.

And finally, you might want to compare the RN and BN degree programs. The RN will get you into nursing faster, but will limit you if you decide you want to keep going and get a master's degree in something.

I'm excited for you! Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer!

#294 - 01/06/2006 12:44 PM Re: Introductions...
Robin777 Offline

Loc: Northern California
This is a reply to Cindi.
You're on your way. I returned to community college when my kids were small, one class at a time. That time was always 'me' time that I valued so much.
It ended up taking me 31 years to get my AA...but I did it. Now attending university with a major. I haven't been this happy in so long.
Now the kids are grown and I'm having my second childhood.
Robin

#1461 - 02/04/2009 18:51 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
dahlila25 Offline

Hi all, I'm 26 and excited to be back in school doing something I love. I took a few years off after I got married in order to work and save money, then went back to school last year. I dropped out again because I hated being an English major, and now I'm back again as a biology major. I'm taking pre-reqs at the local CC and loving it. Nice to meet everybody!!!

#1491 - 03/29/2009 14:40 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
asamol Offline

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is April and I am a 35 year old. I have been debating going back to school for years and have finally decided I am getting know where waiting. I was a police officer for 10 years in Tn but I had to make a decision when my mother fell very ill and I left to return to NY to help take care of her. Now, I am back in TN and have moved my parents down here and living with me. I have an associate degree in criminal justice and am looking at obtaining my bachleors degree and would like to attend law school. I work full time and have to continue to do so to support myself and my parents. Therefore, I am looking at completing my bachelors online.. I am looking for knowledge from other that can assist me. I wish everyone luck in there future plans.

#1499 - 04/03/2009 02:16 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Good to see that there are some people browsing around. We are never too old to better ourselves, and it will feel so good when we get there, which we all will.
In a nutshell: I am 30 years old, never finished high school, attended college 3 times at 3 different universities, I am now finally finishing my bachelors in social and political science and preparing for graduate school! I actually have a decent job, but I just want more out of life. I always wanted to move to Washington DC and work in government relations.. and after 15 years of people telling me I couldn't do it, I am telling myself that I can.

#1512 - 04/21/2009 06:37 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Travis Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hello everyone. I'm a 26-year-old with bad credit, no job and a desire to somehow overcome all of that and get a decent education. I've attempted college before, but I was younger, far less responsible and found it impossible to ride public transportation, work 40+ hours a week, go to school full time, do homework and study. Ultimately I had to quit school or quit working and I knew at that point in my life I only had one option. Now I have no job, the economy is in ruins and all I want to do is learn, so I have come here to try to find ways to make it happen. My Pell Grant should go into effect July 1st but I still have to try to find some way to get money for books, food, a bus pass, rent and utilities.

#1638 - 09/03/2009 22:15 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
LukeLovesTheUnio Offline

Hello everyone! My name is Luke. I'm twenty five years old and have just decided to go back to school. I graduated in 2003, and went to community college off and on for a bit. I got some classes under my belt but I wasn't really mature yet. Frankly all I cared about was partying.

Fast forward to six years later. I just got laid off from my job of three years. Why? Because someone high up in the company decided I was getting paid too much so they laid me off and a lot of other people doing my job across the board.

I realized that I'm pretty much at age where going back to school is still going to be easy. I still live at home, have no children or spouse, and honestly want to go back to be a social worker and do it well. Plus, I never want to get laid off from a job again for simply being young and having no worth.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.