Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1639 - 09/05/2009 03:07 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
aunt jane Offline

9-5-09

Wow, Hello all...my name is Jane & I'm happy to have found this place... a place to perhaps start believing...

I started college a thousand years ago several times and something has always gotten in the way. I am now 46!

I have read several of your introductions and I am inspired by several things already.

My job has recently changed and I find myself unsatisfied & knowing that I need to go back and finish College.

This hopefully will be a tool that I will use often to help in my journey.

Thank You for giving me a place to be inspired! Here I go!

#1644 - 09/07/2009 02:26 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
japruno Offline

Hello,
I'm jim, and I just wanted to say I'm joining you. I'm a 48 y.o. single dad of a special needs child, working full time for the electric company, and in January, I'm starting back to school. I decided I want to finish college, but I'm changing my major. I'm starting out as an Electrical Engineering major, but am going to take a lot of physics class, because before I graduate, I'll change my major to astrophysics. Am I insane?

#1720 - 11/18/2009 13:09 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Carolyn1 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi everybody,
My name is Carolyn. I live in New Jersey. I'm 45 years old and currently looking into returning to school for my Masters in Library Science. I started checking out this website which is a start. I'm not even sure where to begin. I have my BA in History (1984) and work in the insurance industry (temping right and between assignments which is why I have time right now to look into this). I haven't yet taken the GRE but am looking into taking courses as a non degree student and working my way into the degree program. Right now it just feels overwhelming. Hopefully everything will come together.

#1727 - 12/02/2009 19:23 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Mercurius1 Offline

Hello everyone

Feel free to call me Mercurius :)
I'm here pretty much for the same reasone everyone else is: I'm a returning student. I'm 33, and have 1/2 to 1 year to go (depending how things go this semester). I went back to school for Geology. If all goes well, get accepted and successfully complete grad school, I should have a graduate degree somewhere in my late thirties, to early forties.
It can get extremely frustrating and tiring being an older, working student, so I fully sympathize with everyone's stresses, as I can relate somewhat.

#1740 - 12/28/2009 20:27 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
bonee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi! I have just signed on to this forum. You all are so young and do not need to be worried that you are too old to return to school. I completed my bachelors degree at 47 years old. I am 50 now and getting my masters online. I am even contemplating law school. I live in Alabama. What do you think? Bonee (pronounced Bonnie!)

#1742 - 12/30/2009 01:08 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: bonee]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
Good for you Bonee! You're never too old to go back to school. I am finishing up my doctoral degree at age 55. If law school is what you want to do, then go for it!

I work for a program that helps adults 19 and older enroll in the college or university of their choice. My oldest particpant is 87 years young! She most often has the highest grades in her class and is probably the best student in all of her classes. She carries a full load each semester and is the delight of her professors. She doesn't like the online programs. She says they won't give her that personal contact that she needs. There's something out there for everybody, so do your thing!

#1745 - 01/04/2010 13:10 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Jessy Drastic Offline

Hello all.. I am a 33 yr old from Boston. I recently received a letter from Unemployment, (which I have been on for a few months) basically saying that they want to give me a Pell Grant.

I am fairly certain that I will qualify for a good amount of financial aid for school. I am in the process of filling out the FAFSA.

Now the difficult part comes in.. What do I want to "be when I grow up"...? confused My previous jobs have been customer service based. I would love to have a career in a field that I enjoy..

Some things I am considering:

- music (sound engineer..?)
- art (what other jobs would I be able to get, besides teaching..?)
- graphic design (overpopulated field..?)

Anyone else in the early phases of picking/choosing a field.? I would love to hear what sorts of things people are going to school for...

Thanks all.. I look forward to getting some great ideas & feedback from this forum..! grin

#1746 - 01/05/2010 02:23 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
maddie Offline

Hello Everyone. I probably the only person awake tonight. I'm so happy i found this website.

I'm maddie from Memphis, TN. I'm 54 yrs old and getting ready to attend University of Memphis. I have missed feelings. People in the office at school already looking at me crazy. I even saw the young ladies in one of the office talking about me. Now that i can take it, but at this point i'm just thinking about the chanllege ahead. I graduated from SIU-Carboldale IL in 1988. I've been on disability for 13 years and praying to make it. I don't have finacial aid worked out yet, but should be this week.When i tell my family i'm going back to school they look at me crazy. I really want to prove them wrong.

#1747 - 01/05/2010 14:48 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: bonee]
hanna Offline

Hi i am new at this forum i am 46 and have a bachelors in fine arts , but i have not been working , for a long time i am a stay at home mom at the moment and i would like to go for a masters in art therapy , my husband does not support me on that he rather i go get a whatever job where i bring in some income , i am thinking income for the future and a career i am happy and proud of. I also would like to know if anyone here can point me in the right direction on how to start looking for the right accredited schools. Also there is a community college in my town they do not offer art therapy but they do psychology. Any advise will help. Thanks

#1756 - 01/20/2010 00:29 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Keyz Offline

Hi guys! My name is Karen, age 37 student. I'm in Texas in the D/FW area. I started back to school in 2004 after a fight with cancer gave me a new perspective on my life. Pre-cancer I was a full time musician who started working in Information Technology because I needed a real job after my divorce. However, I never wanted to do that for my career and was not happy with it, just trying to figure out what I wanted to be... even though I was 30 and should have known by then.

After my fight with cancer, I started back to school having no idea what direction I was heading, just taking classes toward majors that were related to medicine or helping people. Long story short, I decided on Music Therapy, pretty good match for a musician who wants to help people.

I'm currently in the position where I am trying to figure out how to go to school full time by Fall, because my major is going to be a pain in the butt to finish part-time. That's how I found this online community. I have no idea how I can possibly get my bills paid off in time, but since that seems to be everyone's answer, I guess I should start trying to figure that out. I'm open to suggestions. ;-)

#1765 - 02/14/2010 21:13 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
julieanne Offline

Hello,
I am a 38 year old mother of 3 and I'm am very nervous about going back to school! I have placement testing next Monday and have been trying to build up confidence to not be so nervous about it, but it has been a challenge. My kids are 13,15, and 10..I have been at home for the past 12 years. I was always a painfully shy person, and sometimes I still am. Im really glad I found this place so I can read others' stories.

#1779 - 03/11/2010 04:27 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
kittyidaho Offline

Loc: idaho
hi..I hope this site will be helpfull. I'm 55 and going back to college. Lucky for me I have already 104 towards BA. But it's been 8 years. I feel out of place! Nice to meet all of you! sick

#1785 - 03/31/2010 23:53 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: kittyidaho]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi, Gail!
It's never too late to pursue your dreams! Welcome!!!

#1794 - 04/08/2010 19:10 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Natalie Offline

I am Natalie, a 31 yo at-home mom of 2 ages 5 and 9. My youngest starts kindergarten this fall and I'm ready to do something for myself now that my kids are school-age! And I'm really, really excited although very nervous because I went to college right out of HS and failed miserably. I ended up dropping out bc I was pregnant w/my daughter. I'm trying to push past the fear bc I truly believe this is the one way to do what I love - WRITE!! I'm not sure how to start the process, but I'm hoping a counselor at the school can help :) I'm so glad to meet you all!

#1802 - 04/23/2010 18:48 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
KidsAreGrown Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi! I'm Patti. I'm 43 and divorced. I have two kids ... my oldest is 19, shares an apartment with her boyfriend; my youngest is 17 and will graduate from high school next year.

I've been thinking of returning to school for the past couple of years but am clueless as to what I should do. I just know that I'm not happy with my present job ... I've been there nine years. Not only do I not have ANY job satisfaction, but my home is becoming an empty nest and I just feel that I've been left behind somewhere along the line.

I'm hoping to find some support from other adults who are thinking of or actually returning to college.

#1803 - 04/28/2010 10:00 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: Natalie]
Tee Offline

Hi Natalie,
I understand your frustrations. I am 45...yes 45....I went to a Jr college before I decided to go to the military...now that I'm in my 40's the pressure is on in the workplace with the college kids coming in just pushing me further down the ladder. I have attempted to go to school so many times, but I have never been able to get that Math thing.....I get so frustrated at myself, I have looked over my transcripts and withdrew at least 8 times over 10 years....BUT I say if it's in you, DO IT! Fear can hold us back from a lot of things...I heard somewhere the other day that you fail if you don't try. If you try it, then heck, you tried, if you never try it, you'll never know. I have picked up a math book, and starting to review it from beginning to end before I enroll again in the Spring. I am determined! This is a personal goal. I look at some people that have college degrees, and I say My Gosh! If they can get a degree I know I can....Some of them haven't any sense at all.....So you can do it! Believe in yourself!

#1804 - 04/28/2010 14:40 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Tee]
Shrkb8kid Offline

Loc: United States
Hi Tee,
If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a math issue myself. I have recently lost my dead end job and decided to go to school, (because I'm sick of dead end jobs) and the math thing is really getting to me. I think I am going to have to start with elementary math-lol. I am 31, now, but was pulled out of HS when I was 15 to help my family. I never made it through 10th grade in public school, so alot of this I am learning for the first time. I get really frustrated when no matter how hard I try, I don't get the right answer, and it makes me want to throw in the towel. When I am horribly discouraged, my trick is to go to the local University, (I am starting in community college) and find the biggest pot head on campus... If he can do this- so can I !!

#1817 - 05/11/2010 14:54 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Shrkb8kid]
Miss Leah Offline

Hello everyone!

I am new here, obviously. I am not currently in school, but I just graduated in December. I was a non-traditional student (30 years old when I went back). I came across this site and figured it would be the place for me to support my fellow non-traditional students in their journey through college. I am SO proud of myself for finishing and I want to help others through the process.

I look forward to getting to involved with this forum!

#1818 - 05/14/2010 15:58 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Bobbymommy Offline

Greetings everyone,

I came across this site as I searched for some sort of community of older adults looking to change their lives by going back. I have begun my journey, two years ago I enrolled at age 35 in my local community college and I will now graduate with an AS in General Studies with a 3.93 GPA in two weeks. At the time, my fear was that I would simply drop out or fail trying. It is different now and I feel even more stress in the decision. I have been accepted to UConn to complete my BA and you would think that would be all joy after what I have accomplished, but today I really am struggling. It isn't that I am going to quit (I have come too far for that) but often I feel so alone. I have a husband and three children and though they are proud, I know they wish I would just finish and go back to being mom. The community college was nice and personal, but UConn is so big and I already wonder if I will get lost.

Just wanted to say hello and let you all know that I will be peaking in now and then.

-Best,
Bonnie

#1820 - 05/18/2010 14:20 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
stella43 Offline

Hi! This is Steph and I'm an editor at Capella and just came across this discussion forum. Capella just launched a public service challenge with an opportunity to be awared a $10,000 scholarship toward a Capella program. Just thought I'd share the info. in case anyone is interested. You can learn more at http://publicservicechallenge.com. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.