Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258 - 09/03/2004 08:40 AM Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope everyone else will do the same.

My name is Mindy. Im from the Chicago area. I am a 24 year old mom to a 1 1/2 year old. I also work 28 hours a week (serving and bartending) then on top of all that I desided to go back to school. So I dont have to be a server the rest of my life. Anyway. I am currently enrolled at classes through U of Mass online program. I went to Iowa state right out of high school so I have about 90 credits. My husband graduated and moved up here we started a family so school got put on hold. Now its time to go back. This is my first semester and Im hoping it goes well. Oh and Im going to school for Information Technology.

#259 - 09/08/2004 00:47 AM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am in Australia and have decided to go back, I am 24 with a 7 month old daughter. I am working two days per week and trying to work out how to juggle two subjects (stats and philosophy) a husband and a baby, and work!

I am studying via distance ed at the moment, starting with a Bachelor of Science until I work out what I want to do. I know that while the job I have isn't too bad it isn't what I want to be doing for the rest of my life :)

#260 - 09/08/2004 20:56 PM Re: Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

wow, we sound alot a like. I know, it is hard to juggle everything! But i think if its something i want to accomplish, ill find ways to do it.

Mindy

#261 - 09/09/2004 05:12 AM Re: Introductions...
Miranda Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi! My name is Miranda. I am 29, married with 3 children, stay at home mom. I just took my assessment test on Tuesday, and I passed! So I'm ready for college classes. I just have to get back over to the school and fill out the financial aid forms. My plan is to start this coming spring. It will have to be online courses, as my youngest child is still at home(3 years old). I am going for a BSN. Starting in community college and then nursing school. I live in south Texas. Nice to meet you!

#262 - 09/09/2004 07:29 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Hello!

I'm Melissa, a 31 year old mother of 3 boys ages 12, 11, and 5. I just started my first semester at community college. I am taking 9 credits at night and weekends while continuting to work from home full-time M-F. I decided not to do an online class right now since I find it difficult to be self-motivated.

When I have my general ed classes done I will transfer to a private school to double major in Theater and either English, Social Studies or Spanish and get my teaching license.

I'm a little nervous about everything! I have to have a rough draft of my paper done by Monday!

#263 - 09/09/2004 19:33 PM Re: Introductions...
LonePalm1 Offline

HI miranda, and mellisa!

What kind of classes are you taking mellisa?

#264 - 09/10/2004 03:57 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

#265 - 09/16/2004 12:15 PM Re: Introductions...
BETTY GALARZA Offline

Hi everyone,
I've completed my readmission app and just have to mail it. I hope to start classes in the spring. I'm 37 years old with 2 children ages 3 and 11 and a hubby and a part time job. I'm not nervous--I've been trying to complete my college education for years--I've got about 65 credits--so I'm half way there. I'm majoring in psych and hope to complete graduate studies in law. Maybe I'll be done by the time I'm 70 ish. Good luck to all.
Betty

#266 - 09/16/2004 15:49 PM Re: Introductions...
BKSews Offline

Loc: Westerville Ohio
Hello Everyone,

I went back to school about 3 years ago, after a ten year break when I had my daughter. I had been in school for approx. 4 years before then. I am 47 years old, work full-time and a wife and mother. I usually take 2 classes a quarter, which allows to have financial aid. I am anxious to hear from others how they are doing in school. At first, it was scary, but you get more comfortable as you go along. It is weird now, because I am the same age as most students parents, but they have been great to work with. Good luck to everyone and I hope to hear how great things are going for all of you.

#267 - 10/14/2004 11:20 AM Re: Introductions...
windygirl Offline

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Hello, My name is windygirl and I am 47 have two children or rather one adult child 27 and one 10, I know I started all over. I have always wanted to go to school but I decided to work and help my husband go to school. I worked in retail for 20 years, and now I am changing trying to go back to school. I have just enrolled in a Commercial Collage so I can become a Medical Office specialest. I too am scared to death. But I just had to try something different.
I thought about on line degrees but was afraid I could not do the course work, and taking the SAT to get in a four year School was just as scary. at the comericial collage all I had to do was come up with the money. Thank fully I have a 401K that I am taking out. Yes I will have to pay a penelty for taking it out early but I figure this way I dont have to pay a loan back, when I asked about a grant. I was told with my husband's income I did not qualifiy. Maybe I should get a divorce. Because then I would not have any income. School start for me Oct. 25. PS I still have not told my Husband. He does not suport me in this and thinks I'am stupid He says a 47 years old woman can not make it in school. I will prove him wrong.

#268 - 12/17/2004 03:10 AM Re: Introductions...
dsg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hello,

I am Dave, I thought I was too old to go back to school when I was in my thirties...then I turned forty. I thought to myself, if I had started school when I was thirty-two, I would have my degree by now. At 45, I said, "If I had gone back to school when I was 40, I would be close to having my degree. Finally, my wife tired of me always saying that and had me take one four credit course at a community college, so I thought...since I don't know how to type...I should take keyboarding. I liked it... I was hooked.

I started out with math 081. and each quarter I would take these pre-college courses. I am now 15 credits from my Associates degree, and have a 3.4 gpa. In high school my average was 1.9.

I am planning to apply to the U of W, in the Business program. I have a 3.6 in the courses that they use for admitting students.

The fall quarter is over and I just finished Geology and Intro to law. Next quarter I am taking Psy.110 and Ast.100...

Spring quarter I will take Hum.105. That's it.

I have made some friends that are now in the Universities in the business programs. All of them tell me that it seems all they are doing are "presentations". I get so nervous talking in front of the class. I feel that a little because of my age. But truthfully...it has always been a fear of mine. So, in fall quarter if I need to wait to enter the U of W, I will take a speech class.

Sorry to ramble on, but this is something that I have been looking for a long time. In fact the community college that I go to...just started a group for those students over 40.

I currently have been working in a hotel for 22 years, I work full time, and take 10 credits a quarter.

My dream is to open up my own business, if there are other business majors out there...lets talk.
Or anyone that is serious about school.

My favorite subjects are statistics, and economics. If I could've gone back for any subject...it would have been writing.

Merry Christmas all,

I am working on my essays now. One for the U W itself, and the other for the business program.

Dave

#269 - 12/31/2004 11:11 AM Re: Introductions...
LuckyLearner Offline

Loc: USA
Hello,

I'm Carol, I never was a college student. Although, the program I completed from the EOTC did net me 1 college credit. I posted more about myself in response to Gayla's thread, about New Year, Old Dreams.
My main concerns are cost and housing (if I go to a non-local school.)

#270 - 01/05/2005 19:01 PM Re: Introductions...
smarteepants Offline

Hi - I'm Nikki, a 30 yr old mom to a 10 yr old son. I attended college about 10 years ago and stopped going when I got pregnant with my son. I have just decided to go back and I am in the application stages.

#271 - 01/14/2005 15:40 PM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi my name is Helen. I am from Ireland and have een living in California for the past 10 yrs. The reason I have never back to school is because I am so intimidated by not knowing the system here in the USA. I have all kinds of jobs and currently teach yoga. this was a big step from bartending, waiting tables, nannying, cleaning houses ect. It is hard to make a living at though. I get so full of fear when I look at job oportunities and see that I am not qualified for anything that pays a good wage. i have always blocked the idea of school because of "my irrational fear". I am slowly creating the possibility of opening myself up to taking some classes. My confidence in this area is as weak a baby chick!!! i am 32 yrs old and sick of being fearful of bettering myself. What is wrong here? Any insight? any advice? Any words of wisdom would be of help. I have'nt been to school for about 15 yrs. Yikes!! My BIGGEST fear is MATH. I feel like that subject blocks off all my options. I would like to be in the area of couseling, psychology....ect. Those would be my 1st choice. OK, enough from me.......Good luck to all of you out there who are walking through YOUR fears. Helen.

#272 - 01/17/2005 09:51 AM Re: Introductions...
ccheney Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi I'm ccheney which stands for crissy cheney. I just found this site yesterday and I'm really excited about it. I'm 27 years old married with a 4year old and a 21 month old. I currently have a part time job in the evening. I also have taken classes in the past. I have 28 credit, but I quit when my son 4yr old son was born and now I'm ready to go back. I've just started filling out the paper and trying to figure out what classes to take. I'm curious I have been looking into taking online classes, but I don't know where to begin. Are there any suggestions? Thanks and good luck to everybody.

ccheney

#273 - 04/04/2005 12:10 PM Re: Introductions...
AlaskaMechanical Offline

Loc: Wyoming Via Alaska
Hello, my names Matt and I'm planning on going back to college either this fall, or possibly this summer. I've been a cabinetmaker most of my life, but due to some loss of vision I think it's time to learn something new. As of right now my plan is to major in Computer science towards the goal of working in the CyberSecurity business, however I do want to speak with some advisors before commiting myself. I'm looking forward to some new challenges and to having a goal to work towards. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you too!

#274 - 04/05/2005 06:25 AM Re: Introductions...
WildEEP Offline

Hi all..I'm WildEEP and I'm an alco..err wait, wrong meeting....=) (comon it was a joke, and it was funny too, you know you chuckled)

I am 25 years old, and I start school this fall. I graduated back when I was 16 years old so its been basically a decade since I last stepped into a classroom.

Its been an interesting road back to this point, but I'm really excited about starting full time come August.

I'm a firm believer that determination is 9/10ths of the battle, and I'm more determined to do this than anything else in my life. We'll see if my belief holds water in practice. =)

Anywhoo..its good to meet all of you and know that there are others out there who didnt just follow the normal track of education and jump into college directly out of HS, and even the fact that some are on the road back after having dropped out.

Good luck to you all =)

#276 - 04/27/2005 19:02 PM Re: Introductions...
*kate* Offline

I am going back to college after some home reasons I had to quit until now. This feels hard but I have to give it a try. But some of the classes look hard,when I look at the list.
I should start soon. confused
good luck all :)

#277 - 05/13/2005 05:33 AM Re: Introductions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

Mt name is Dave and I've been going to school since 1987 off an on. Finally about 4 years ago I said - "I sticking with it this time"

I graduate in a week!

I know it seems tough right now, but you gotta belive me - it's worth it. Go for it folks - and stick with it too.

You be a better person for it.

#278 - 05/13/2005 08:01 AM Re: Introductions...
MermaidMom Offline

That's great, Dave!!!

What degree are you getting? Did you go full time or part time?

#279 - 05/14/2005 10:30 AM Re: Introductions...
roddy59 Offline

Loc: home
Hi everyone;

My name is Rod. I am a 45 year old who is looking at completing a degree that should have been done nearly two decades ago! All I want to do is finish with a junior college degree, I am happy at my present job althou with the rate technogoy is going it may be gone in 10 years (I'm a supermarkert checker). I live in a college community (Moscow-Pullman) so I know alot about the stresses of studying for finals/tests, writing papers, etc. My wife is somewhat supportive but she has her doubts about me making it as I need to get my math done. Get this--she's a math major grad and I'm struggling with fractions!!! So right now I'm studying on my own with this low-level math but get discouraged at times then detrimined to get this stuff down. she doesn't want to put out the money if I can't do this. I was encouraged after reading the intros to this website. Any advise or encouagement would defintly be welcomed!!!

#280 - 06/11/2005 14:51 PM Re: Introductions...
chufflebean Offline

Loc: Ohio
My name is Valerie. I just graduated, but I got a degree in the WRONG major! I spent the last semester student teaching in a place sometimes known as ****! Anyways, I'm going to post a detailed message about my educational difficulties, so for now let me say that I am happy to be a new member of this board. You all seem like nice people.

As for me, I'm living in Ohio, and I spend most of my time playing around on my computer or working at Bob Evans. I also like crafts!

Peace to you!

#281 - 07/12/2005 08:44 AM Re: Introductions...
jmat Offline

Loc: nyc
I'm J. I live in NYC - I'm 30 and have just started my undergrad A.S in Math/Science with a Physic emphasis which I plan to transfer to a B.S in Physics at the State University in about 2 years.

Right now, I can take night/Saturday classes and work days pretty easily, when I transfer that will change and I will need to work out going during the daytime.

I went to a liberal arts college for 2 years after high school and did poorly in my 2nd year because I knew I wanted to quit and didn't think I'd go back. I did a semester of distance learning courses and then quit because I was not challenged by the program.

My ultimate goal is to finish my B.S within 4-5 years, while working, and then get into a good grad school, so a high GPA is a big priority.

#282 - 07/20/2005 16:30 PM Re: Introductions...
oneness1 Offline

Hello, my name is Sandell(pronounced San-dell, not Sandal), I am 45 and have been going to school off and on since 1992. I attend a community college and I am going for a degree in Medical Administration Assistant. I feel this will never end, but I know if I persist I will graduate. Hopefully this will happen next year. For all of you that have questioned about going back or staying in college. Please stay, you will not regret it.

#283 - 07/25/2005 12:30 PM Re: Introductions...
baldtat Offline

Loc: Palmdale, CA
Hi, all. I just stumbled onto this website. I've been in school myself since 1981, on a variety of missions. I served a 5 year trade apprenticeship along with the requisite schooling. It took me from 1981-2001 to get my AA degree. Well, that was the long way around.
At any rate, in 2003, I returned to complete my
bachelor's degree. I'm headed into my senior year this fall. I expect to graduate in 2007 with a B.S. My major is Computer Information Systems, and my minor is Business. I've spent the last 20 years in the electronics/telecommunications industry on the field installation side. I've decided I want to move out of the field. Sometimes I'm a little nervous about the major I chose, but I still think it's a viable degree. The thing about a degree is that it shows that you have discipline, and the determination to follow a plan through. Those are very marketable skills.
Well, that's my two cents. Encouragment to all; and those of you not sure: Just do it already.

#284 - 08/08/2005 10:38 AM Re: Introductions...
Katie Offline

Loc: Miami
Hello, My name is Jackie and I'm 25 and going back to school after 5 years, with neither kids nor husband.

#285 - 08/09/2005 02:01 AM Re: Introductions...
bug2u Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach
Do not feel bad because of your age, feel GREAT because you are so much smarter than anyone you will be attending school with(don't go overboard)!. Just remember that anyone that is 18-22 or 23 thinks they are the smartest people in the world!!! Just study hard, do your assignments, and get good grades- then apply for any scholarship program your school sponsors!!.

#286 - 08/21/2005 06:30 AM Re: Introductions...
PaulaEdwina Offline

Loc: Orrtanna, PA
My name is Paula. I am a biologist with a BSc in Microbiology and a ABT (all but thesis) MSc in Environmental. I was happily ensconced in HIV drug development for the last 10yrs with the NCI. Then we got laid off and I had to find another job. I saw how vulnerable techs are - we had a couple of techs looking for jobs 5 years shy of retirement (without success).

So I did find another tech job and it's okay. It's just that I've been disabused of the idea of permanence in this field. I'm 36 and could have easily retired working at NCI, now I don't feel so secure.

So I thought about going back and doing a Public Health Master's but realized that I would be putting alot of energy to a career I'm not sure I want. Anyway, I've always liked architecture and just last year designed and had built a small house (1008) in the woods. I like the challenge of designing a smart, ergonomic, efficient, universal access, aesthetic house. My dad is in the business so I grew up around it. I absolutely enjoyed looking for a particular window, researching insulation, being part of the planning, arguing with the subs, etc. I pass by empty lots and know exactly what should go there!

Now that I have my little home, I still want to build more houses - can't afford that of course. So I thought I'd learn to do it for other people. So as of TOMORROW Monday, Aug. 22nd I'm going back to school - to my local community college for an AA in Architectural Technology with hopes of transferring to a 4yr program for a Bachelor of Architecture.

I think it's a good move. I have never been THIS excited about school. I hated highschool, I was a slacker in undergrad and I didn't follow through with grad school. I think maybe because I liked what I did but I did not LOVE it. This time around I'm making dorky spreadsheets scheduling my classes for the next three years! I'm going to owe a huge stafford loan at the end of this, but I think it's where I should be heading.

Sorry for the long post. I'm glad I found this forum.
Paula

#288 - 08/22/2005 17:56 PM Re: Introductions...
PaulaEdwina Offline

Loc: Orrtanna, PA
Good for you! At the end of our lives we won't be grateful for the time we wasted doing what others wanted us to do.

Paula

#289 - 09/28/2005 13:31 PM Re: Introductions...
ElaineA Offline

Loc: Grand Prairie, TX
Hi everyone,
My name is Elaine, and I am a mother of 2. An 8 yr old and a 3 yr old. I have been in community college for 3 yrs now, and am ready to transfer to a University.

#290 - 01/01/2006 12:55 PM Re: Introductions...
Cyndi Offline

Loc: TN.
Happy New Year to everyone! I am a Mommy to five wonderful children, three boys, 2 girls. Ages 9, 7, 6, soon to be 3 and 14 months. I will be starting classes Jan. 17th...to be honest I'm excited about going back, I've been a stay at home Mom for so long, it's time I did something for myself and for my kids. I do admit feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all..any suggestions?

#291 - 01/02/2006 19:30 PM Re: Introductions...
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
I thought I replied to this earlier, but don't see it. .Here's hoping this doesn't turn into a duplicate post. Thanks, Mindy for starting this thread. This is a great list, and I am amazed at the way it is growing.

I am here because I love to talk to and about adults going back to school for more education. My doctoral area is higher education, and I have been in many of your shoes as far as being a working adult returning to school, although never with several samll children. My name is Jan and I am 55. I started my doctoral degree when I was 43, got married again at 50 and took an extended honeymoon.

Now that I am back into my research area, I realize that online education has really boomed in the past 5 years, and there is an overwhelming amount of information out there.

Cindi, what do you want to study? Are you most interested in having a bachelor's degree, or in learning for getting a job at some future time?

Will you be look into financial aid programs?

How are your computer skills?

A lot of the answers to your questions depend on these types of things.

#292 - 01/03/2006 03:00 AM Re: Introductions...
Cyndi Offline

Loc: TN.
I plan to get a BA of Science in Nursing, I do have financial aid, although never completely enough. My computer skills are great. I simply want to better myself and contribute more to my children. We're all excited about my returning to college. Thanks for replying! :)

#293 - 01/03/2006 07:46 AM Re: Introductions...
MidlifePhDStudent Offline

Loc: Southern California
Cindi...

That's an excellent field, and you are so lucky to have your husband and family's support. Your children will also benefit from seeing Mom's example.

If you have good computer skills, and are willing to do a lot of reading, online education will be easy for you.

In addition to the Federal Financial aid programs, which include Pell Grants that you don't have to repay, some states have special tuition assistance programs for students going back to school. I hope you have checked those out, too. And of course, making good grades early on will increase your chances of getting a scholarship later. (I have a feeling that won't be any problem for you!)

In general your money will always go further at public schools and universities. If you attend one of them in your state, they will also give you credit for two years at a community college, as long as the subjects you take are in their prerequisite list. Many of these now offer online courses.

And finally, you might want to compare the RN and BN degree programs. The RN will get you into nursing faster, but will limit you if you decide you want to keep going and get a master's degree in something.

I'm excited for you! Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer!

#294 - 01/06/2006 12:44 PM Re: Introductions...
Robin777 Offline

Loc: Northern California
This is a reply to Cindi.
You're on your way. I returned to community college when my kids were small, one class at a time. That time was always 'me' time that I valued so much.
It ended up taking me 31 years to get my AA...but I did it. Now attending university with a major. I haven't been this happy in so long.
Now the kids are grown and I'm having my second childhood.
Robin

#1461 - 02/04/2009 18:51 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
dahlila25 Offline

Hi all, I'm 26 and excited to be back in school doing something I love. I took a few years off after I got married in order to work and save money, then went back to school last year. I dropped out again because I hated being an English major, and now I'm back again as a biology major. I'm taking pre-reqs at the local CC and loving it. Nice to meet everybody!!!

#1491 - 03/29/2009 14:40 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
asamol Offline

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is April and I am a 35 year old. I have been debating going back to school for years and have finally decided I am getting know where waiting. I was a police officer for 10 years in Tn but I had to make a decision when my mother fell very ill and I left to return to NY to help take care of her. Now, I am back in TN and have moved my parents down here and living with me. I have an associate degree in criminal justice and am looking at obtaining my bachleors degree and would like to attend law school. I work full time and have to continue to do so to support myself and my parents. Therefore, I am looking at completing my bachelors online.. I am looking for knowledge from other that can assist me. I wish everyone luck in there future plans.

#1499 - 04/03/2009 02:16 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
hereinvegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Good to see that there are some people browsing around. We are never too old to better ourselves, and it will feel so good when we get there, which we all will.
In a nutshell: I am 30 years old, never finished high school, attended college 3 times at 3 different universities, I am now finally finishing my bachelors in social and political science and preparing for graduate school! I actually have a decent job, but I just want more out of life. I always wanted to move to Washington DC and work in government relations.. and after 15 years of people telling me I couldn't do it, I am telling myself that I can.

#1512 - 04/21/2009 06:37 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Travis Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hello everyone. I'm a 26-year-old with bad credit, no job and a desire to somehow overcome all of that and get a decent education. I've attempted college before, but I was younger, far less responsible and found it impossible to ride public transportation, work 40+ hours a week, go to school full time, do homework and study. Ultimately I had to quit school or quit working and I knew at that point in my life I only had one option. Now I have no job, the economy is in ruins and all I want to do is learn, so I have come here to try to find ways to make it happen. My Pell Grant should go into effect July 1st but I still have to try to find some way to get money for books, food, a bus pass, rent and utilities.

#1638 - 09/03/2009 22:15 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
LukeLovesTheUnio Offline

Hello everyone! My name is Luke. I'm twenty five years old and have just decided to go back to school. I graduated in 2003, and went to community college off and on for a bit. I got some classes under my belt but I wasn't really mature yet. Frankly all I cared about was partying.

Fast forward to six years later. I just got laid off from my job of three years. Why? Because someone high up in the company decided I was getting paid too much so they laid me off and a lot of other people doing my job across the board.

I realized that I'm pretty much at age where going back to school is still going to be easy. I still live at home, have no children or spouse, and honestly want to go back to be a social worker and do it well. Plus, I never want to get laid off from a job again for simply being young and having no worth.

#1639 - 09/05/2009 03:07 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
aunt jane Offline

9-5-09

Wow, Hello all...my name is Jane & I'm happy to have found this place... a place to perhaps start believing...

I started college a thousand years ago several times and something has always gotten in the way. I am now 46!

I have read several of your introductions and I am inspired by several things already.

My job has recently changed and I find myself unsatisfied & knowing that I need to go back and finish College.

This hopefully will be a tool that I will use often to help in my journey.

Thank You for giving me a place to be inspired! Here I go!

#1644 - 09/07/2009 02:26 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
japruno Offline

Hello,
I'm jim, and I just wanted to say I'm joining you. I'm a 48 y.o. single dad of a special needs child, working full time for the electric company, and in January, I'm starting back to school. I decided I want to finish college, but I'm changing my major. I'm starting out as an Electrical Engineering major, but am going to take a lot of physics class, because before I graduate, I'll change my major to astrophysics. Am I insane?

#1720 - 11/18/2009 13:09 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Carolyn1 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hi everybody,
My name is Carolyn. I live in New Jersey. I'm 45 years old and currently looking into returning to school for my Masters in Library Science. I started checking out this website which is a start. I'm not even sure where to begin. I have my BA in History (1984) and work in the insurance industry (temping right and between assignments which is why I have time right now to look into this). I haven't yet taken the GRE but am looking into taking courses as a non degree student and working my way into the degree program. Right now it just feels overwhelming. Hopefully everything will come together.

#1727 - 12/02/2009 19:23 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Mercurius1 Offline

Hello everyone

Feel free to call me Mercurius :)
I'm here pretty much for the same reasone everyone else is: I'm a returning student. I'm 33, and have 1/2 to 1 year to go (depending how things go this semester). I went back to school for Geology. If all goes well, get accepted and successfully complete grad school, I should have a graduate degree somewhere in my late thirties, to early forties.
It can get extremely frustrating and tiring being an older, working student, so I fully sympathize with everyone's stresses, as I can relate somewhat.

#1740 - 12/28/2009 20:27 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
bonee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi! I have just signed on to this forum. You all are so young and do not need to be worried that you are too old to return to school. I completed my bachelors degree at 47 years old. I am 50 now and getting my masters online. I am even contemplating law school. I live in Alabama. What do you think? Bonee (pronounced Bonnie!)

#1742 - 12/30/2009 01:08 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: bonee]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
Good for you Bonee! You're never too old to go back to school. I am finishing up my doctoral degree at age 55. If law school is what you want to do, then go for it!

I work for a program that helps adults 19 and older enroll in the college or university of their choice. My oldest particpant is 87 years young! She most often has the highest grades in her class and is probably the best student in all of her classes. She carries a full load each semester and is the delight of her professors. She doesn't like the online programs. She says they won't give her that personal contact that she needs. There's something out there for everybody, so do your thing!

#1745 - 01/04/2010 13:10 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Jessy Drastic Offline

Hello all.. I am a 33 yr old from Boston. I recently received a letter from Unemployment, (which I have been on for a few months) basically saying that they want to give me a Pell Grant.

I am fairly certain that I will qualify for a good amount of financial aid for school. I am in the process of filling out the FAFSA.

Now the difficult part comes in.. What do I want to "be when I grow up"...? confused My previous jobs have been customer service based. I would love to have a career in a field that I enjoy..

Some things I am considering:

- music (sound engineer..?)
- art (what other jobs would I be able to get, besides teaching..?)
- graphic design (overpopulated field..?)

Anyone else in the early phases of picking/choosing a field.? I would love to hear what sorts of things people are going to school for...

Thanks all.. I look forward to getting some great ideas & feedback from this forum..! grin

#1746 - 01/05/2010 02:23 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
maddie Offline

Hello Everyone. I probably the only person awake tonight. I'm so happy i found this website.

I'm maddie from Memphis, TN. I'm 54 yrs old and getting ready to attend University of Memphis. I have missed feelings. People in the office at school already looking at me crazy. I even saw the young ladies in one of the office talking about me. Now that i can take it, but at this point i'm just thinking about the chanllege ahead. I graduated from SIU-Carboldale IL in 1988. I've been on disability for 13 years and praying to make it. I don't have finacial aid worked out yet, but should be this week.When i tell my family i'm going back to school they look at me crazy. I really want to prove them wrong.

#1747 - 01/05/2010 14:48 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: bonee]
hanna Offline

Hi i am new at this forum i am 46 and have a bachelors in fine arts , but i have not been working , for a long time i am a stay at home mom at the moment and i would like to go for a masters in art therapy , my husband does not support me on that he rather i go get a whatever job where i bring in some income , i am thinking income for the future and a career i am happy and proud of. I also would like to know if anyone here can point me in the right direction on how to start looking for the right accredited schools. Also there is a community college in my town they do not offer art therapy but they do psychology. Any advise will help. Thanks

#1756 - 01/20/2010 00:29 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Keyz Offline

Hi guys! My name is Karen, age 37 student. I'm in Texas in the D/FW area. I started back to school in 2004 after a fight with cancer gave me a new perspective on my life. Pre-cancer I was a full time musician who started working in Information Technology because I needed a real job after my divorce. However, I never wanted to do that for my career and was not happy with it, just trying to figure out what I wanted to be... even though I was 30 and should have known by then.

After my fight with cancer, I started back to school having no idea what direction I was heading, just taking classes toward majors that were related to medicine or helping people. Long story short, I decided on Music Therapy, pretty good match for a musician who wants to help people.

I'm currently in the position where I am trying to figure out how to go to school full time by Fall, because my major is going to be a pain in the butt to finish part-time. That's how I found this online community. I have no idea how I can possibly get my bills paid off in time, but since that seems to be everyone's answer, I guess I should start trying to figure that out. I'm open to suggestions. ;-)

#1765 - 02/14/2010 21:13 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
julieanne Offline

Hello,
I am a 38 year old mother of 3 and I'm am very nervous about going back to school! I have placement testing next Monday and have been trying to build up confidence to not be so nervous about it, but it has been a challenge. My kids are 13,15, and 10..I have been at home for the past 12 years. I was always a painfully shy person, and sometimes I still am. Im really glad I found this place so I can read others' stories.

#1779 - 03/11/2010 04:27 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
kittyidaho Offline

Loc: idaho
hi..I hope this site will be helpfull. I'm 55 and going back to college. Lucky for me I have already 104 towards BA. But it's been 8 years. I feel out of place! Nice to meet all of you! sick

#1785 - 03/31/2010 23:53 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: kittyidaho]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi, Gail!
It's never too late to pursue your dreams! Welcome!!!

#1794 - 04/08/2010 19:10 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Natalie Offline

I am Natalie, a 31 yo at-home mom of 2 ages 5 and 9. My youngest starts kindergarten this fall and I'm ready to do something for myself now that my kids are school-age! And I'm really, really excited although very nervous because I went to college right out of HS and failed miserably. I ended up dropping out bc I was pregnant w/my daughter. I'm trying to push past the fear bc I truly believe this is the one way to do what I love - WRITE!! I'm not sure how to start the process, but I'm hoping a counselor at the school can help :) I'm so glad to meet you all!

#1802 - 04/23/2010 18:48 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
KidsAreGrown Offline

Hi! I'm Patti. I'm 43 and divorced. I have two kids ... my oldest is 19, shares an apartment with her boyfriend; my youngest is 17 and will graduate from high school next year.

I've been thinking of returning to school for the past couple of years but am clueless as to what I should do. I just know that I'm not happy with my present job ... I've been there nine years. Not only do I not have ANY job satisfaction, but my home is becoming an empty nest and I just feel that I've been left behind somewhere along the line.

I'm hoping to find some support from other adults who are thinking of or actually returning to college.

#1803 - 04/28/2010 10:00 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: Natalie]
Tee Offline

Hi Natalie,
I understand your frustrations. I am 45...yes 45....I went to a Jr college before I decided to go to the military...now that I'm in my 40's the pressure is on in the workplace with the college kids coming in just pushing me further down the ladder. I have attempted to go to school so many times, but I have never been able to get that Math thing.....I get so frustrated at myself, I have looked over my transcripts and withdrew at least 8 times over 10 years....BUT I say if it's in you, DO IT! Fear can hold us back from a lot of things...I heard somewhere the other day that you fail if you don't try. If you try it, then heck, you tried, if you never try it, you'll never know. I have picked up a math book, and starting to review it from beginning to end before I enroll again in the Spring. I am determined! This is a personal goal. I look at some people that have college degrees, and I say My Gosh! If they can get a degree I know I can....Some of them haven't any sense at all.....So you can do it! Believe in yourself!

#1804 - 04/28/2010 14:40 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Tee]
Shrkb8kid Offline

Loc: United States
Hi Tee,
If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a math issue myself. I have recently lost my dead end job and decided to go to school, (because I'm sick of dead end jobs) and the math thing is really getting to me. I think I am going to have to start with elementary math-lol. I am 31, now, but was pulled out of HS when I was 15 to help my family. I never made it through 10th grade in public school, so alot of this I am learning for the first time. I get really frustrated when no matter how hard I try, I don't get the right answer, and it makes me want to throw in the towel. When I am horribly discouraged, my trick is to go to the local University, (I am starting in community college) and find the biggest pot head on campus... If he can do this- so can I !!

#1817 - 05/11/2010 14:54 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Shrkb8kid]
Miss Leah Offline

Hello everyone!

I am new here, obviously. I am not currently in school, but I just graduated in December. I was a non-traditional student (30 years old when I went back). I came across this site and figured it would be the place for me to support my fellow non-traditional students in their journey through college. I am SO proud of myself for finishing and I want to help others through the process.

I look forward to getting to involved with this forum!

#1818 - 05/14/2010 15:58 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Bobbymommy Offline

Greetings everyone,

I came across this site as I searched for some sort of community of older adults looking to change their lives by going back. I have begun my journey, two years ago I enrolled at age 35 in my local community college and I will now graduate with an AS in General Studies with a 3.93 GPA in two weeks. At the time, my fear was that I would simply drop out or fail trying. It is different now and I feel even more stress in the decision. I have been accepted to UConn to complete my BA and you would think that would be all joy after what I have accomplished, but today I really am struggling. It isn't that I am going to quit (I have come too far for that) but often I feel so alone. I have a husband and three children and though they are proud, I know they wish I would just finish and go back to being mom. The community college was nice and personal, but UConn is so big and I already wonder if I will get lost.

Just wanted to say hello and let you all know that I will be peaking in now and then.

-Best,
Bonnie

#1820 - 05/18/2010 14:20 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
stella43 Offline

Hi! This is Steph and I'm an editor at Capella and just came across this discussion forum. Capella just launched a public service challenge with an opportunity to be awared a $10,000 scholarship toward a Capella program. Just thought I'd share the info. in case anyone is interested. You can learn more at http://publicservicechallenge.com. Thanks.

#1827 - 05/27/2010 00:24 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
maddie Offline

Hi. I'm Maddie. Thanks for the new forum. I didn't see it when i was on the website before. I'm 55 yrs old and just completed my first semester after 28 years. I attend University of Memphis. Returning to school was very exciting and i made good grades. I was afraid of not being accepted by the young people,and thought they my look at me crazy, but i was wrong. I also learned there were more people returning to school than i imagined. I registered as a Senior for the fall. My major is Disability and Rehabilitation Services. My graduation date is December 2011. Good luck everyone. If i can do it, so can you.

#1860 - 07/26/2010 23:59 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: ccheney]
uboatcommander Offline

Anyone else here already have a degree ?

I am 44 and got my BS in aerospace engineering right out of high school but never studied so barely graduated (2.01 GPA!!) and never worked in the field and have been mostly self-employed since then.

It is looking like this is a disadvantage- I know my choices were not the best when I was 18 but it's not like I went to prison or anything so I am wondering why admissions looks so harshly at you if you already got a first degree and want to go back to do it right...

Anyone else have a similar situation ?

Edited by uboatcommander (07/27/2010 00:00 AM)

#1863 - 07/27/2010 20:07 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
eddieyourdj Offline

Eddie here, I am slowly chipping away at my undergraduate degree. I took a few yrs off to enjoy time with my son and wife, but now I am ready to hit it hard again. I am 47 and have been with FedEx for 17 yrs. I am working towards a degree in Spanish and want to teach high school. My goal is to be done at age 50. I will have 20 yrs in with FedEx and I can leave and still teach for 15+ yrs. Good luck everyone!!!

#1919 - 09/14/2010 11:23 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
CurtisR Offline

Loc: Akron,Ohio USA
Hi Everyone! Name's Curtis R Cox, please Curt for short! Well as I read down the postings, I see that I am not alone except for maybe one small thing. I have been out of school for 41 years. I feel a like a babe in the wilderness.

#1920 - 09/14/2010 11:26 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: kittyidaho]
CurtisR Offline

Loc: Akron,Ohio USA
I just read you posting and was wondering how your doing. I'm 59 and just started back myself. Wow has it been awhile!

#1922 - 09/14/2010 23:30 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
doglover510 Offline

Hi I am 35 women. who is thinking about going back to school I am so glad I found this site. I Have been for someone to talkl about this with. I am single just move, doing a job I like but don't love. Plus I have always wanted to work with needy kids< I want to be a socail worker, but I am scared and trying to find a way to go to school pay the bills. i a job that I work anytime from 9 am - 11 pm any day of the week and they want to promote me so they will not work with my hours.

#1935 - 10/02/2010 17:57 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
Cam65 Offline

Hello. My name is Cam, I'm a 44 yr old lady who has been doing for everyone most of my adult life. 22 yrs ago, I was involved in a tragic auto wreck which left me disabled but not unable to be a normal human being. I can run, laugh, talk, write, ect. I just do not know where to start when it comes to starting to go back to school. I did go back and got my cosmetology license after a few months after the wreck but that is a problem now as I am not up to date on anything and have not got the yearning to do make up on ladies as I used to have
If there are any ladies or gents out there who are in their middle to late yrs and going to go back to college , can you please give me pointers as to where to start, other than go to the community college and ask questions.
That is what I plan to do this next Monday, I really do not want to do online but with an instructor.
Thank you for reading this and if there is anyone out there, please reply

thanks

#1952 - 10/16/2010 17:38 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
mhay Offline

Loc: Mi.
Hello all, my name is Mary, and I am 53. I went back to school last Fall 2009. I took Accounting I. I was working part time, so I only took the one class, and managed a 4.0 in the class. I suffer from depression, and it was pretty bad at the time, so I didn't return in the Spring. However:), I cannot stop thinking about going back. I feel it is something I must finish, but the old fear comes back, a little different this time around. I am worried that I have forgotten everything that I learned in the first semester!

#1953 - 10/16/2010 17:43 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Cam65]
mhay Offline

I completed all my applications, and fees online. I also chose my class schedule online, but I went to the school for classes. Check online to see if your local college offers this option, otherwise, as you are planning, you should go to the college admissions office.

#1954 - 10/16/2010 17:47 PM Re: Introductions... [Re: Cam65]
mhay Offline

Hi again, I forgot to add that you should apply for Fafsa, it is a federal student grant, and will pay for school, if you qualify, and most of us do. You can also find this online, just look for Fafsa online.

#2076 - 03/19/2011 03:25 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
jnielsen980 Offline

Hi Everyone

My name is Jamie Nielsen. I graduated from a degree in Higher Education. I have joined this site to see if I can offer advice to anyone who maybe thinking about going back to school. I would eventually like to compile enough information to put together a manual to help non-traditional students.

#2077 - 03/22/2011 01:17 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
stargazer Offline

I am a 48 year old woman that has returned to school after receiving my AA 13 years ago. My children are now grown and I have been divorced for several years. I returned to receive my bachelors degree and discovered that I still needed about a year and half to take more prerequisite courses. I have now accomplished that along with a certificate course for an assisted living administrator. I am so excited to have found this site. Being an older student sometimes finds you on the outside looking in. However, I have had some great experiences and really am enjoying this time in my life. Like many of you I made the choice to put family needs before mine. I am glad of the choice I made at the time but there is something to be said for second chances to appreciate the knowledge that we as older students have acquired. I am currently enrolling for the fall semester at Tarleton State University through Mclennan Community College in Waco, Texas. I will major in Business Administration for my bachelors and continue with a Masters in Psychology. Good luck to everyone and I will look forward to reading all the great information on this site.

#2082 - 03/31/2011 01:52 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: LonePalm1]
nicoleweems8935 Offline

When I have my general ed classes done I will transfer to a private school to double major in Theater and either English, Social Studies or Spanish and get my teaching license..

#2141 - 07/11/2011 09:37 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: nicoleweems8935]
DonMiguel Offline

Hi! I'm retired from the Air Force and returning to school at the age of 50 to study International Affairs at UGA. Plan on employment with an international aide organization.

#2391 - 12/13/2011 07:43 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: DonMiguel]
thomas15 Offline

Hi everyone. I'm Tom. I received a BS degree in 1981 and have worked in sales since then. I'm not complaining but many times I ask myself the quesstion "what do I want to do with my life?"

Back in my school days I wanted to complete my degree in Medical Technology but I did not get along well with math so I settled for a liberal arts degree. Now, like others here have mentioned I'm finally going to correct my mistakes, make peace with math and get that degree. At 53, it may take a number of years, I work a full and part time job but I like to stay busy and I'm determined to do well at the expense of speed. My first excursion into academics will be an intro to algebra class, starting in January.

#2426 - 02/24/2012 08:47 AM Re: Introductions... [Re: Shrkb8kid]
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Check out the article, Revisiting Math. There are resources there that might help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.