Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#2603 - 07/01/2013 17:52 PM Thinking of redoing my whole degree again
Avicii Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi

I am thinking of going back to college and redo my whole degree again (start from scratch) my college life was a disaster first time around, I had no sense of direction, no goals and just wanted to finish college. I finished with a pass degree, however I now know that this is the field of work I want go down for my career, now that I am sorting out my life, I feel that I can apply myself to this field of work now that I am focusing on this type of career. Please help because I can't think of any other solutions!!

#2607 - 07/23/2013 07:49 AM Re: Thinking of redoing my whole degree again [Re: Avicii]
thomas15 Offline

I'm in a simular situation. I finished my degree in 1981. When I started college I wanted a science degree in the medical field (medical lab technology). The biggest problem for me was a lack of math skills which made chemistry difficult to say the least. So instead of taking the time to seek remedial help, I just punted and settled for a liberal arts degree instead of the science degree I wanted. For the last 30 years I have tried to rationalize the whole thing and convince myself that I just simply lacked the academic ability to master undergraduate sciences, especally chemistry.

Finally, two years ago at the age of 53 I decided time for a re-do. I have taken math (algebra) up to the pre-calculus level, something I thought was impossible for me to accomplish. This semester, I get to start chemistry, I'm taking an introductory chemistry class. After that, two semesters of general chemistry and two semesters of organic chemistry.

There is a big difference between the Thomas15 of now and the Thomas15 of the late 1970s-early 80s. Back then I knew that my math skills sucked and that it would be a rough road in the sciences. Today I know that I can figure out what ever math comes my way in chemistry. I have a much higher confidence level than in the past. I also have a much better study ethic and find the time I spend in the actual classroom enjoyable and not misery. I will work a problem or concept until I understand it instead of giving up and going to a party.

I'm not going to have to take every single class obviously some will transfer. I work full time and a PT job also, so my college is part time and at my local community college. In 3 semesters I have accumulated 13 credits and a few have transferred. My GPA is 1+ points higher than as a kid and the kids in my classes have actually asked me in a few cases how do I study for tests! My daughter attends the same college! Whats funny about that arrangement is that instead of the parents trying to be "cool" for their high school kids so that their reputation isn't ruined with their friends, my daughter now has to be "mature" and "academic" to avoid ruining MY reputation!

The good thing about a community college is you can take classes at night and the cost is low so I can pay for it without a loan.

So Avicii, get moving! Everyone, all of your friends will tell you you are nuts but deep down everyone will admire you and you will be so proud of yourself for your accomplishments. You will have to give up some things to make the time, I gave up being an officer in my local volunteer fire company. But I'm glad I started this and only wish I started this sooner!

#2610 - 08/03/2013 16:39 PM Re: Thinking of redoing my whole degree again [Re: Avicii]
Debra Offline

Loc: Chicago
Going back to school is a great solution. Kudos to you! Go for it, because you are a very different person today than you were the first go round. But know that you really don't have to start from scratch.

My suggestion would be to first identify the major that you'd like to pursue. Then pick 2 schools that offer that major (one should be a community or junior college) and apply for admissions to both schools. They will most likely request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended previously. Although you said your first degree was a disaster, if you received a "pass degree" (I'm not familiar with that term) you should have some classes that will transfer and count towards your new program. Unless you owe them money from your previous college experience, the community college will accept you. However, depending on how many transferable credits you have from the previous experience, you may be too far along academically to really benefit from the 2-year school. Meet with an admissions counselor and/or academic advisor from each school to receive guidance on the best way to meet your goals. And don't forget to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to see if you qualify for free financial aid. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.