Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#295 - 01/16/2005 23:41 PM Wanting the full college experience, help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys... im 26 years old, I spent 6 years of my life after high school taking care of my ill grandparents and I missed out on alot of things, college included. I have a full time job for a year and a half but havent really maneged to save anything. I dont like my job particularly and I want to go to college to work towards doing something I'd have fun doing and would enjoy. I would really like a real college experience. I dont wanna take classes after work or a part time class schedule. I want the four-year, living on campus, classes first and maybe a part-time job on the side experience. I know alot of people on here say they have nice jobs and the money to take classes... but my experience is I dont have the money, and I wanna get atleast one experience I missed before it's really too late. Can I do this at all, or is this a dream? I wanna go to an instate school, it has a small tuition yearly for residents and seems just what I want. What do I do? Can I still get the proper loans to not have to worry about paying for my school till after I graduate? I mean, I could work more and save... but the place im at now just drives me insane.. I need a change. Im trying really hard to fit in again, im young at heart (not that Im old really...=P ) so Im not afraid to fit in with the other students, im hard working, and even tho my grades were poor in high school, i know im dedicated enough to be an excillent student now.

I just need a turn in the right direction? Is this possible for me right now? Thanks in advance, very appreciativer of any advice I can get...

MIKE

#296 - 01/19/2005 08:06 AM Re: Wanting the full college experience, help?
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
Mike, when my brother was in college, he had two 25 year old guys living in the dorm with him.

If you don't have a family to support, then by all means go for it!

#297 - 01/30/2005 10:32 AM Re: Wanting the full college experience, help?
gary Offline

Mike,
I'm doing the full time university experience at 34, I started when I was 31. The only difference from you is that I live off campus.

As far as loans go, I have federal loans so far. I don't begin paying them back till after the grace period after graduation. As well, I'm doing this at a private university which == $$$. Good luck.

Gary

#298 - 03/17/2005 04:27 AM Re: Wanting the full college experience, help?
WildEEP Offline

Mike - I'm 26 and I'm starting this fall. Now you dont need a lot of money to go to school, in fact, the poorer you are, the easier the government makes it for you.

If you wanna give us details as to your earnings and bills, I can get very specific as to how you can afford college.

#299 - 04/20/2005 19:37 PM Re: Wanting the full college experience, help?
katreese Offline

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! I was in exactly the same position as you. Hated my job, wanted so badly (like you) to go back to a regular school, had (have) no money to do. I decided to JUST DO IT - apply where I wanted, for the program I wanted - and everything fell into place. Read Traditional Degrees for Nontraditional Students by Carol S. Fungaroli!

Good luck!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.