Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#300 - 07/15/2003 18:24 PM Starting over.
Future RN? Offline

Loc: Brookhaven,Ms USA
This will probably be very long, I am looking for a few words of encouragement and some advice. I am a divorced woman with a 7 year old daughter. I am presently employed as a medical transcriptionist/secretary at a local hospital. I have been thinking about going back to school for a while. I have an AA degree in elementary education (with about a 2.5 grade point average I'm not to proud about), but after working in a hospital so long, I would love to be a nurse. I know I would have to probably quit my job to go to nursing school. I am hoping to start my prerequisites this fall over the internet and by night courses. I'm just curious if any of you have ever done this what kind of finacial assistance (I've alread applied for a pell grant) is out there for a person like me (single parent and nursing major)to help pay living expenses. The nursing program I am intrested is an ADN program. Any help would be greatly appreciated (especailly a testimony of someone who has already done this). Thanks!

#301 - 08/18/2003 17:45 PM Re: Starting over.
Lirpa2002 Offline

Loc: FL
Hi. I do not know if you are still around here on the boards, but check out a great website for nurses called:
This should help you gain insight re: the career and possibilities. I was considering it for awhile but decided to go a different direction because of how terribly hard nursing is on the body, high stress levels, and mainly the fact that I already have a bad back and suffer from chronic pain. Best Wishes...April wink

#302 - 10/10/2003 16:59 PM Re: Starting over.

Hello - my name is Adam and I am 36 years old, married with two kids - in Feb 2002 I lost my job in a highly specialized feild, I am now in an ADN program in NY and just started my 3rd semester.
Nursing is tough and many in my class are over 30 years old, many of us have no medical related experience, but we are doing it! You need to ask yourself if this is something you really want - if the answer is yes, then it will all fall into place!

#303 - 10/28/2003 19:34 PM Re: Starting over.
hobbit11 Offline

Loc: alaska

i am an RN, have been for 16 years, most in critical care. nursing is DEMANDING both mentally and physically, but it has so many positive attributes that i wholeheartedly encourage you to keep up with your schooling. there are so many different types of nursing that you should never get bored in your career. even an adn degree will get you through lots of doors!
good luck! if you need any more help, you can email me at

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.