Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#309 - 07/21/2003 20:32 PM Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
ChristineMomOfTwo Offline

Hi everyone, I just found this site tonight. I'ts amazing what you can find on the internet.

I'm 29yrs old and i have 2 daughters ages 5 and 1. I graduated from high school in 1992 and went straight to college after graduation. I spent 2 years taking all my requried courses but never decided on a major so after 4 full semesters I dropped out and went to beauty school with my younger sister. I guess at the time I really didn't want to be in school. I was dating my husband at the time and really just wanted to get married and start a family but everyone was expecting me to go to college because I was the "brain" in the family. I felt so lost back then. When I think back on it I'm amazed that I managed to stay in school for 2 years. If my sister hadn't decided to become a beaution when she did I don't know what I would have done.

Anyway, I've always thought about what my life would be like if I had made a decision on a major and stayed in college to get a degree. After 10 years of thinking I have made a decision to go back to school and become an elementry school teacher. Hopefully the 2 years I spent in college 10 years ago aren't a waste and I can still use the credits. I plan on attending the same college. I'm going to call the school tomorrow to get things moving. It's probably too late to start this fall but I defanitely want to start this spring.

Any advice about going back to school would be great and I look forward to getting to know everyone in the months to come.

#310 - 07/23/2003 15:58 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also just found this site. It's so encouraging to find so many people in the same boat.
I am 26 yrs old, married, and the mom of three, ages 7 1/2, almost 4, and 17 months. I never went to college after high school but instead got married (two weeks after graduation)and had a baby, (4 months after graduation). I did very well in school and was also considered the brain in the family and many were shocked. I always wanted to go but things just didn't work out that way. So now I have been out of school for 8 years and am scared to death. I decided to ease myself into it by taking online courses offered through a state unniversity. I did so well that I finally made a decision on a major I've been considering for several years now. I am going into pharmacy. It will require two years undergraduate study and 3 years in an accelerated program of professional study. Since I cannot take many of the required courses online I have inquired at a nearby college about a transfer(the pharmacy school is also nearby). I have an appointment next week for an admissions interview. It may not be too late for you to go this fall. I just decided this month to make the switch and they said it was not to late to enroll.
So here I am, getting ready to make the plunge. I will have a 1 hour commute each way and I hate to drive. I will have to find child care for two of my children, and although I am low income, I do not qualify for any help because I don't have a job. My husband will also be attending night classes this fall while working a full-time job in the daytime. The classes I have to take are going to be very difficult and I'm afraid I won't be able to handle them. I also feel like I'm getting too old and I won't fit in with all the teenagers, especially since I am going back as a freshman. And yet I know this is what I need to do. My children deserve better and I am just sick of feeling poor (not to mention actually being poor). It seems like a long road but I know that when I look back 5 years from now I will be glad that I did it. I will be proud of myself and feel a great sense of accomplishment( and cashing that first big paycheck will feel pretty good too.)
So I guess my best advice is go for it. And get started as soon as possible, before you have a chance to think twice. Good luck.

#311 - 07/31/2003 08:05 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
ElusiveBlue Offline

It is so wonderful to see there are others like me out there!!! I graduated in 1993,went to college for one year and got married too young. Needless to say...10 years later with a 6 year old son, a divorce behind me, being a single mom for 3 years, a cosmetology license, and remarriage, I am returning to school. :-) I am going for either dental hygeine or medical laboratory technology. I considered an elementary teaching degree but for now it is going in the medical direction, especially since the town I live in is a medical community. I am excited and scared all at the same time.I have to take chemistry this semester as a prerequisite to apply to the programs. I am nervous because I too was always the "brain" and I always excelled at school. I worry now that it is not going to be as easy as it used to be and that I am going to struggle not only with the classes but managing a family as well :) . Especially with classes like chemistry, english (I don't even remember how to write a paper in MLA format), and A & P. I also wondered if I was too old to return to school, but I know that in a few years the sacrifices we make will have been worth it to have the type of hours I want, better income, and have more self-esteem. I look forward to the acheivement that comes from hard work. I wish you both the best of luck and let's keep each other going!!! :)

#312 - 07/31/2003 14:59 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
iceprincess Offline

Loc: Tampa
Hi,
I am 34 and decided to go back to college about one and a half years ago. It is the best decision I ever made. I graduated from high school way back in 1987, and got married 10 years later, but spent most of my in between time travelling and bartending, and having a good time. When my husband and I started a successful business a few years ago, I decided to take a stab at college. I have always had low self esteem while in school, mostly because of shyness, but I have always made excellent grades. Anyway, I'm having a great time, and learning something new almost everyday. I am on the honor role, and have held a GPA of 4.0 my entire college career, (mostly due to studying my butt off!).
At first I thought I would feel out of place, but I was surprised to find out that the average age of students at my college is 30, and that made me feel great!
Also, the kids at my school are not only friendly and courteous towards me, but many say that they respect me for going back to college, and have gone out of their way to make me feel at home.
Going back to college has given me a new lease on life. My dream is to go to law school and take my education all the way. You are never too old to learn and earn a degree. It keeps your mind sharp, and keeps you feeling young.
And as an older student, I think my advantage is that I am much more sophisticated and serious than many of my fellow students. Two of my professors told me that they wish all of their students were my age, because older students appreciate an education more sometimes.
Please go back to school, and enjoy every minute of it. Don't let anyone or anything keep hold you back.

#313 - 08/17/2003 10:06 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Ice Princess,

I just had to respond to you because you sound a lot like myself. Here is a little about me:

First, I graduated and went to college and had an internship. I worked part-time while in school fulltime and worked fulltime during the summer. I thought (stupid) I was making really great money and quit school. I am presently a Senior Paralegal, but yearn for more. I am presently married with 3 children and I see the need for higher education now. Before I was laid off from a big firm in 2001, I was making really great money, but of course the bottom fell out. I have found jobs in my field, but they are not paying anywhere what I am used to making. My initial goal while in college was to become an attorney because I have a passion for the law. I was concerned about my age, but I would rather take my experience to the next level. I think this forum is the best thing because there are people like yourself who can truly understand. I wish you the best of success in your endeavors. See you at the top.

#314 - 08/17/2003 15:13 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Debbie Offline

Loc: Valley Center, Kansas
:) Hi everyone! I found this site 2 days ago; the stories are very inspiring.
I am 45 years old and beginning school on Wed. I went to college 1 semester after high school, then started my family. I was not a good student in h.s., I worked hard for my grades. I was lucky enough to be able to stay home with my kids; then after a divorce 5 years ago, there I was with few skills and no education. I ended up working in a Wal-Mart pharmacy as a clerk for barely minimum wage-but it was a start. I became a rx tech, then went on to work in a hospital. I had always wanted to be a nurse, but I was afraid to do anything about it. I remarried, talked about school, and still did nothing. Finally, after my employer began a really good education assistance program,and with my husband's encouragement, I enrolled. I will have to continue working at the same time, so I am going to allow 5 years in my plan. I will be 50 years old by the time I get my degree, but you know what? I will be 50 years old if I don't get my degree!
I know it's not going to be easy-the math requirements scare me, but it will be so worth the effort.

#315 - 08/18/2003 16:54 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Lirpa2002 Offline

Loc: FL
Wow,I am older than most of you. I got my Masters Degree in Clinical Counseling in 91 and have not been back in college since. I am 38 now and worked in the counseling field for about 8 years, then got out of it because it depressed me and no longer liked it, so I started helping my husband in his business. About 6 years ago, we moved to FL and I my health has gone downhill bigtime and I ended up having a back surgery as well as many other procedures and now am forced to live with chronic pain that is a normal part of my day. Although I am not disabled, my condition limits many types jobs I can do so I decided to go back to school over the next 2 years to get a Degree in Health Information Management and a diploma in Medical Coding so tha when I graduate I can become certified and start working in a hospital in their Coding Dept.

Anyway, although I have my own problems, I am happy that I am able to go back to school in a field that is very interesting, so that I can keep working for a long time. Luckily all the courses I will need to take beside the externships are also offered Online, so it is great that I can take the courses from my house without driving.

Anyhoo, best wishes to all of us, regardless of the direction we take. ....April wink

#316 - 08/20/2003 12:31 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
oldtimer Offline

Loc: Texas
I am so excited by all the previous messages. I am a 40 year old single umemployed mother of 3(ages 18, 16, 13) On February 2003 after being out of college for 20 years I enrolled at St. Leo University online degree program to get my BS in Computer Information System. I thought it was going to very difficult but to be trueful it has not been that bad. I am a A /B student with a current GPA of 3.25. My goal is to get on the Dean list and finish college with honor. Time are very hard for me but I am determine to finish college and get my degree. This is something what I have long for all my live. I have has a lot of trail and problem in my life that for one reason or another I was unable to complete college for when I started by in 1982. Now that I has re-started I am not going to let anything stop me. I am still have big financial problem and I have worked since Dec 2001 and almost all my personal financial has been use and umeployement has running out I don't know how but I just know that I will and must finsih college this time around. I continue to stay focus on handling my degree in hand. I has a mental picture that I keep in my head. I just know that and believe that God will help me find away. So to all of you who not sure it you can do this just hold on and never lose sight of the reason you made the decision to go back to college in the first place. Also remember it at 40 year of age I can do it so can you. By the way 20 years last I was able to transfer by credit.

Good luck to you all and God Bless.
Old Timer but hanging.

#317 - 08/24/2003 00:35 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Nubian Notion Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I found this site in Essence Magazine. I'm have also returned to school at the end of last year / 1st year graduate student - Organizational Industrial Psychology. I work full-time, Divorced w/a teenage son. It has been difficult at times but it is working out. I was attending a popular graduate school at one time however, the time of actually traveling to class and spending entire weekends - felt like a 2nd job! I left and enrolled in an on-line program, post assignments on line etc., I love it! Have 4.0 GPA. At times I have to watch my friend - (Procrastination) easy when you work from home. I wish you all the best, and if I can assist you, please post a reply.

#318 - 09/05/2003 11:12 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Hopeful Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Nubian Notion,

Hello. I also found this site in Essence magazine. If you read my post in Starting over/New begining you'll know my life story.LOL! I am th esingle mom help lady! I am 26 and two steps away from stepping out on faith and re-enrolling in the the spring. My mom is doing it,both of my best friends are doing it,what can't I get it together? Maybe you can give me some advice. Sister I can really use it right now.

Hopeful

#319 - 09/09/2003 07:33 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
cocoababy Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello everyone,
Here's my story: I graduated from High School in 1988 and went immediately to college. I had a fabulous time whilel there (partying :D , NOT learning) but yearned to be with my boyfriend at time(of course I lied to my father saying that I thought I'd do much better at a local college), who was back home. So I came back, started taking a few classes here and there but could never get back in the swing of things. So I eventually stopped and started working full-time. Now I'm seriously regretting those decisions!! To make a long story short - I'm 33 now, about to be divorced, no children and I have Lupus. If any of you know anything about Lupus you know that it is triggered by stress. I think that has been one of the reasons I stopped going to school and was hesitant about going back. Since 1991 I have hospitalized 3 times with medical problems related to the lupus. I didn't think I could/should work full-time and go to school at the same time without making myself sick. But now that I'm on my own again and currently unemployed, I've been doing a lot of thinking and I want to go back to school to get my degree. My health has been good the passed couple of years and my doctors have given me the go-ahead. But like everyone else, I am wondering where I can get the money to do this. That's why I'm really glad (and excited) that I found this site. These forums are a great way for us to communicate and help one another with these issues. If any of you are sort of in the same boat (have some type of medical problem), I'd love to hear from you. :-)

#320 - 09/12/2003 18:11 PM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is an awesome forum. I know I'm not alone in my new crazy idea about school. I have a huge milestone coming up next week (40th birthday) and that has been the real motivator in my situation. I had troubled adolesence with unstable home life and did not really go to high school at all. I managed to turn things around at the age of 18 and got my GED and went to college. I was so excited to be in school, and tried to make up for all I had missed in high school. I majored in psychology and theater and also worked full time. The theater major also required that I be working in shows so I had rehearsals every night. In my second year of school my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and between the demands of the theater, full time job and school, not to mention the extracurricular activities like writing on the school paper and being in student government, I got a severe case of burnout. It was at this time that I decided to take a short "hiatus" from school. That short hiatus started in 1983! lol!
I became involved in the music business touring the country as a nightclub singer for about a decade. This past decade has had me living in the same place, working as a studio photographer. This is a fun job, but certainly not a passion. I have been afraid to go back to school because I almost feel like it would be cheating out my music dream. I am a songwriter and musician, but have not worked professionally for almost ten years. Anyway, have missed out on the experience alot of you are talking about of having children, and do not see myself advancing in a music career. I am interested in subjects that concern social justice and civil rights, such as political science. I'm afraid that I will get a political science degree and still want for work, but I think I am meant to do something more with my life. I have been talking to a few of the colleges in the area, and although I don't have the money and I feel a little unsure, I think I am going to go back. Those of you in your thirties who think you are getting too old, NO WAY! I think that all of us are thinking this is a very positive thing. People are talking about campuses that have the young kids. I am considering night school, so I think the other students will probably be my age. Anyway, age is just a number, and to the woman who said she is visualizing her degree, she will get it! We can all be more successful with education. It's not too late.

#321 - 10/28/2003 08:34 AM Re: Thinking of going back to school after 10 yrs
karaboo72 Offline

Loc: Austin
Wow! I am so much like ChristineMomofTwo it's scary. I am 30 and graduated from high school in 1991. I went away to college and studied Elementary Education for 3 1/2 years, before leaving school. I tell myself it was for family reasons (my father), but it was actually because I wanted to be closer to my boyfriend.
Now, ten years later and married with 2 children, I want desperately to finish my degree. I dumped the boyfriend I left college for two years after I left school.
I have worked steadily since college, and even worked my way up the ranks of my former employer. When I quit working to be a full time mom of a three year old and my newborn, I was substantially more money than my friends that continue college and received their teaching degrees. Even more than my husband who has a business degree. The problem is, the money isn't as important to me right now as doing something I enjoy. Plus, I always feel so inferior to people who have degrees.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.