Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#341 - 06/19/2003 09:12 AM Will a College Let Me In?
Kim Offline

Loc: NY
Hi! My name is Kim. I'm knocking 40 years of age very soon. I want to return to school -BADLY. I attended college for a year right out of high school. I failed or unofficially withdrew from every course because I was forced into a major (by parents) that high school did not prepare me for because I was in the cooperative education program my junior and senior years. When I tried to return to the same college a few years later, they did re-admit me. BUT, they would not let me change my major. The one class I took I got an "A" in - but they averaged it in with my old grades and told me my GPA was too low for them to allow me to remain in school, and sent me a letter that essentially said "good riddance."
frown
How in the world do I get back into school??

#342 - 06/20/2003 12:39 PM Re: Will a College Let Me In?
mgfishh Offline

Start with the community college in your area. They generally do not take SAT scores or other criteria for admittance. The advantage too is that the majority of city college students (generally, it depends on your area), go onto university for a degree, so the community college courses must qualify for 4-year university transfers. Additionally, unlike at larger 4-year schools, where you are taught by other students (TAs) at the freshman & sophmore levels, although you're paying top price for qualified teachers,community college instructors are REAL teachers: Ph Ds or instructors w/Master's degrees! Then after 2 years, transfer to a 4-year university for your junior year. In fact the GPA for transers at the junior level is LOWER than for incoming freshmen, although you probably will have a great GPA... most adult learners returning to school are way better students the 2nd time around. Trust me, this is true and the best way to go, I've learned. I returned to school this way for another degree (I had a BFA which did not cover many newer, required courses), and went on to get a BA, then continued to my masters. Good luck!

#343 - 06/21/2003 19:54 PM Re: Will a College Let Me In?
sageblue Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
I agree; you can go to community college or a local "technical" college and take 2 or 3 courses on the 'college prep' track. Regardless of how unmotivated the youngsters around you may be, you will keep your eye on the prize and get A's in these courses. Then you can turn around and submit these to a school that will let you study what you want to study. (It's strange that the old one didn't let you change your major.)

Good luck; I hope you go for it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.