Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#359 - 08/01/2003 12:04 PM What would you tell them?
Student at 50 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am a Continuing Education student working on a B.A. in English and creative writing minor, not your usual business/accounting/management night student. Until this year,senior year I worked and attended school full-time. Then I discovered that in order to graduate I had to take two day classes. It left me with the choice of quiting a job (I am single and my only means of support)that paid my bills with medical insurance, or dropping out of school. I am now juggling three part-time jobs in order to finish, living in constant financial fear-without insurance. Many of us are experiencing the exact problem. My college for example, boasts that 25% of its student body--and therefore revenue--are Continuing Education students yet this forced choice is not in the best interests of future recruitment. My question is this: What would you tell your college is the single greatest problem with their program, and do you have a possible solution?

#360 - 09/24/2003 04:20 AM Re: What would you tell them?
Angela Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am 41 and returned to college after a long delay. I am interested in writing and am seeking a Bachelors in Written Communication. It is going to take me years to complete since I work full time, care for my 4 year old daughter and attend classes at night and Saturdays. I did not attend the Spring and Summer semesters because the classes I need, I could not take at night. I know some of the classes I need are only offered during the day.
Why aren't there colleges like the University of Phoenix or "higher education" schools that offer English degrees-it is always Business, Accounting or things I am not interested in.
Anyway, I also think it is ridiculous that I still need to take some general education classes such as Chemistry and Math. What does that have to do with English?

-Angela

#361 - 09/24/2003 14:05 PM Re: What would you tell them?
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Angela,

There are many accredited colleges and universities that offer majors other than business online. And many traditional colleges offer classes (if not the complete program) online for students in the form of distance education. So you could take some of your classes on campus and some through the Internet or broadcast television.

#362 - 09/27/2003 03:08 AM Re: What would you tell them?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Angela - will your school let you test out of any of the general ed requirements? There are CLEP exams for a lot of those - I was able to do that & got 12 credits to boot. There are other exams also, and some schools will give you credit for life experience. I also know people who took some general ed classes at a community college & then transferred those credits. I am not saying that to disparage community colleges; it's just that they had more evening classes in the general subjects. If you are a non-traditional student, you may find that your school has some creative ways to accumulate credits for the general ed requirements. I took a freshman math class during the summer, at night - it was only six weeks, and a lot more laid back (easier) than it would have been if it lasted a whole semester!

To Student at 50 - I'm also an "older" student & am having a difficult time finding classes at night since I'm majoring in English/Art History. Most of the evening classes at my university are geared toward business & engineering students. I considered distance learning, but I'm not the most disciplined person in the world, so I need to have to go to class. Plus, I love the classroom interaction.
The people who run the non-traditional student program at my university have been very helpful, but when it comes to scheduling, it's a matter of economics for them - they have far more people looking for business & engineering classes at night. I'm just hoping that as more and more older students return to school, they will expand their evening course offerings.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.