Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#399 - 01/05/2003 14:28 PM Help needed!
kujhawk Offline

Loc: CA
I am a graduate student in a College Student Affairs program and am doing a presentation about reentry students. My fellow students and I will soon be higher education administrators. What we need to know is what reentry students' needs are and what they expect from their college experience. What are some barriers you encounter? Positive experiences? Any comments you can provide will be very helpful. Thank you!!

#400 - 01/05/2003 16:40 PM Re: Help needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am a nontraditional student. My greatest frustration going back to college is when I get into a class, such as beginning biology or statistics, and the professor assumes a great deal of knowledge. This has caused me more frustration and problems than any other situation I've encountered in college.

Good luck on your project.
Best Regards,
Dody dbuller145@aol.com

#401 - 01/05/2003 17:55 PM Re: Help needed!
Pat Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi, I have been trying to find my niche in the halls of higher education for about six years. The first five were in a on-campus setting and it was torture. Most of it was not academic but logistic (though I did have the same issue as the prior reply with instructors who assume you've been going to school for the last 20 years!). Trying to find courses that would fill degree requirements during a time period that was conducive to my schedule was the biggest hurdle. In 2002, I enrolled in Saint Leo's online degree program and have finished six classes since March (compared to the eight classes in the traditional setting in five years!) However, my biggest hurdle on the distance learning setting is establishing a working relationship with my academic advisors (I've had three since March). I wish I was closer so I could go sit down and review my degree outline and my transcripts and get some real answers. Otherwise for a mom of three who works full time outside the home, distance learning is the ONLY way to go! Good luck on YOUR degree! :)

#402 - 01/05/2003 18:55 PM Re: Help needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a 44yo returning student with two semesters under my belt. I have found it enjoyable, but need more understanding of the whole college process. I want to know when I can take classes that are not just fulfilling requirements. I need a counselor that I can call at any time to find answers to little questions that may not be listed in any catalog. I need someone to whom I will feel comfortable going to, not just a phone number that gives me a department.

#403 - 01/05/2003 22:26 PM Re: Help needed!
Sleewhite Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I returned 2 years ago to complete my degree (Class 0f 2002). Currently, I am in my first year of grad school. When I returned, I was nearly 40 and felt so out of place. The beggest concern for me was a social network where I could communicate with other "nontraditional" students. Also, I was concerned about the one-size-fits-all orientation sessions. It was a waste of time to listen to advisors talk about dorm rules, roommate issues, etc. And of course, the biggest concern is financial. How to take of household expenses, pay for school, and have the time to study and spend with family.

#404 - 01/06/2003 05:41 AM Re: Help needed!
mlbatlanta Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I returned to college after a 15 year absence and received my BA in Speech Communications back in 2000 from GSU. One of main concerns was financial aid because I was on academic probation when I stopped years ago. So I had to keep my grades up to keep the financial aid. My job didn't pay enough to cover even one course. Another thing I encountered was trying to schedule my classes around my work schedule. Thank God my job was up the street from GSU. So I had classes either in the morning or in the evening or both. Since I didn't take the time to seek out resources to help when I started having problems with classes such as history, I learned how to seek out those resources real quickly this time. History was not my best subject. I thought I would be in a class would a lot of young people but I found that there were more older adults returning to school and in the classes as well. Having not been in a classroom in a long time, I was very shy and timid about speaking up and always sat in the back of the class. Soon as I stop making a fear out of it and got to know some of the students, young and old and wanted to make good grades (As & Bs) I started speaking up in class and contributing to class discussions. There is always that fear, whether you are a freshman or a re-entry student that you will sound stupid saying something.

#405 - 01/06/2003 13:30 PM Re: Help needed!
SLewis Offline

I was a single parent of 1 child when I graduated from high school, and went straight to a top 10 University. I spent 5 years in school full-time, and then had to drop to part-time, and eventually dropped classes completely due to lack of money, and my daycare assistance being cut. I have less than 20 credits left to graduate, and seriously would like to start the process of getting back into school this year. Number 1 worry: MONEY. NO MORE LOANS!! I lived off loans, and still cannot pay them back. My employer provides 100% tuition reimbursement, but I need to come up with the initial amount. I now have a second child. Where would it come from? Number 2 worry: TIME. Looks like I'll be applying to an online university: I live too far away from my nearest relatives for them to babysit my children. Without writing a book, these are some of my worries.

#406 - 01/07/2003 09:02 AM Re: Help needed!
kujhawk Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks so much for the great responses! I'm only one person, but know that there are people out there in higher education who are aware of you and your concerns. In my research, I have found a few universities that are doing really great things for reentry/non-traditional students...you just have to look. My hope is that future reentry students will have an easier time....thank you for paving the way! Good luck to you all:)

#407 - 01/08/2003 14:38 PM Re: Help needed!
Solange Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Thanks for the question.

As a person who has finally decided to return to graduate school for a terminal degree,I have encountered several obstacles.

______

1. Low-cost assistance for GRE preparation. I haven't been a student for more than 15 years. I would feel much more secure taking a preparation course because I learn better in a group setting, but the courses are extrememly expensive. I am
currently doing it on my own, but it is difficult.

2. I find that fear of the future is a major obstacle. I am afraid of how I will survive financially after having worked for so more than
15 years. Everyone says that I can get financial aid, but it seems only a few years ago, that I paid off undergraduate student loans! I will still press forward, howevever believing that I will survive as many others have done before me.

(I wish you much success with your study.)

Solange

#408 - 01/31/2003 11:20 AM Re: Help needed!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a returning after a 20 year hiatus. The most frustating thing for me is all the assumptions colleges have. They assume you know the process for everything. When calling, the administration is almost hostile with their impatience. Everything is designed for either some kid coming straight from high school, or the professional student.

Finding financial aid is a biggie...

#409 - 02/20/2003 06:49 AM Re: Help needed!
Dana Offline

Loc: Heidelberg, Germany
Solange, what kind of degree are you working on? I'm considering applying to a Ph.D in Higher Education with GSU, but I'm worried about paying for tuition and books, but especially child care. I managed to get my M.Ed. while my twin girls were young, but I was using my G.I. Bill. I spent all of my G.I. Bill and it's difficult to find doctorate level financial aid. Right now I live in Germany, so I have to wait until we're back in the states to get really aggressive about it. :)

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.