Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#443 - 10/16/2001 13:41 PM Going from full time work to part-time...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am and adult considering going back to college and I have a question about financial aid. I am an independent student who earns abou $30,000 yearly but has significant credit card debt. ifind myself finding information on financial aid only for really needy students (earning about $10,000 yearly) and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have pay for college out of my own pocket. Unfortunately, because of my debt and the fact that half of all my earnings to to hleping my mom pay her expenses, none of that shows up on my tax reports. Is there any way that I can receive some sort of assistance for college? I intend to return in 2002 full-time and working part-time will not allow me to meet my financial obligations. Any information would be sooooo appreciated, I'm really getting nowhere asking people in financial aid offices.

#444 - 10/16/2001 18:04 PM Re: Going from full time work to part-time...
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi Pamela:

Unfortunately high consumer debt doesn't figure in for college financial need analysis, nor do many other expenses. However, adult students going back to college full time or reducing their work schedule to attend should explain to the financial aid office that they will not be able to earn the same income. Many colleges can apply "professional judgement" to increase financial aid for the recently unemployed and adjust packages for special situations. Instead of using the base income year (the most recent tax period), projected income for the next year is considered. Requesting a review can result in thousands of dollars more in aid.

#445 - 12/14/2001 19:36 PM Re: Going from full time work to part-time...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Pamela:

I will tell you to be on the look-out for aid specifically designed for re-entry students at the college you are considering.

Also, remember you can always include a personal statement to the financial aid office regarding how much you will be able to contribute to your education.

It boils down to how much the school and financial aid officers at that school are willing to help.

Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.