Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#449 - 12/16/2004 08:47 AM back to school with a family
Lynette Offline

Loc: Oh
My husband is 25 and wasn't able to finish college. We have a family now (3 little boys). He wants to go back to college, so that he will be better able to provide for our family.

The only problem is that with the job he has now, he can't even go to night classes. He isn't home in time. But, he can't find a job paying what he is making now (which isn't all that much) without a degree.

Is it realistic for him to go back to school full-time and support all of us on loans and grants for 3 years?

My oldest son is in Kindergarten now. So, it doesn't pay for me to go to work. We only have one care, and with childcare expenses and money for another car, I wouldn't make anything. In fact, I would be further in debt.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Thanks,

Lynette

#450 - 12/23/2004 22:52 PM Re: back to school with a family
tcnixon Offline

Loc: California, USA
It sounds like your husband would be the perfect candidate for distance learning. There are so many choices available now.

I would recommend that:

a. He reads this website top to bottom. There is an incredible amount of information here. It's, in my opinion, the best site for returning students; and

b. Consider buying a copy of Bears' Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (see here ).

He should, of course, feel free (or you in his place) to post questions here. Lots of helpful folks.

Tom Nixon

#451 - 12/24/2004 01:38 AM Re: back to school with a family
Zon 7 Offline

Hi Lunette

I fully agree with Tcnixon. Your husband doesn't have to stop working and pursue full-time studies, distance education is an ideal choice. Also, fees are much lower than full-time, on campus studies.

Careful research is necessary though, as some online schools are much more expensive than others without that necessarily meaning that they are better schools.

Zon 7

#452 - 12/27/2004 12:53 PM Re: back to school with a family
Lynette Offline

Loc: Oh
Thanks for the advice. We have looked into distance learning. It is hard to find a computer engineering degree online. We live very close to University of Akron which has a very highly rated engineering program. He would like to finish in a decent amount of time. With his 50-60 hour work week, that doesn't leave much room for studying at home. This is one of the main reasons for wanting to quit work and go full time.

I will check some more though. Thanks.

Lynette

#453 - 01/16/2005 13:05 PM Re: back to school with a family
ccheney Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi Lynette,

I'm kinda in a similiar situation. I'm a mother of two who also stays home. My husband also makes good money where he works and wouldn't be able to find that kind of pay elsewhere. He has also been talking about going to school, but he also works 50 or 60 hours a week. My concern is he wouldn't be able to do his line of work ten years from now(factory work), so I've decided to go back to work in the evenings when he's home with the kids. My goal is to be able to get a good paying job when my kids start school and he will be able work less hours and go back to school. I don't know if this is an option but it's what will work for us. Hope this helps

ccheney

#454 - 02/05/2005 14:54 PM Re: back to school with a family
returningmom1 Offline

Loc: Decatur, IL
I have another idea besides distance learning. Most colleges offer daycare for their students' kids (some have minimum requirements, such as being potty trained). Since these are not just YOUR kids, but also your husband's kids, he can enroll them in free to very low cost daycare at the university during the hours that he is at class, which would enable you to become the main provider if child care expenses aren't an issue. Just a thought!

#455 - 02/05/2005 14:57 PM Re: back to school with a family
returningmom1 Offline

Loc: Decatur, IL
PS-- You wouldn't necessarily have to be the main provider; maybe your husband could just cut back some work hours while he takes classes, and you could make up the difference with a job if he enrolls the kids at a college daycare. Good luck!

#456 - 02/18/2005 16:35 PM Re: back to school with a family
rquebedo Offline

Loc: Tennessee
You might want to check unto your states board of regents. Here in Tenn, the board of regents has an online program. In fact I think they take out of state people. It allows you to get a full degree online.

My dh went back for his Masters and is working on his PhD after we had kids. It can be done!!! Also check on a campus job for him and the daycare like someone else mentioned. If you guys don't own a house check into married student housing.

Good Luck :D

#457 - 03/29/2005 12:16 PM Re: back to school with a family
chazz Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Just a note of encouragement. I am a divorced mother of 3 boys, 11, 9 and 4. The on campus childcare is a blessing, so check it out. It is a sacrifice but it pays off in the end. Be prayful, be positive, it will pay off. Some days are so hard, but I know each day I am closer to what we need and that is the degree so we can do better. What we had was not working without the degree. So remember that when it gets a little tough. Call on Jesus and put the kids in bed and allow him and help him to study. You're in it together. All will be fine.

#458 - 04/11/2005 06:34 AM Re: back to school with a family
Chris937 Offline

Loc: Bay Minette, AL
My wife and I have been married for 4 years now and have a two year old son and a daughter due in August. I have been a full time student for 3 years now and will complete my assoc. degree next month in computer tech. This fall I will start at the University of Mobile and be working on a BS degree in Computer Information Systems. I do work a full time job for a power company in the engineering dept. and also have a newspaper route in the mornings for extra money. I tell you this not praising myself but to let you know that your husband can do whatever he puts his mind to doing. I suggest praying about what is best for your family and explore every option available. Check with any colleges within driving distance of your home, many offer weekend classes as well, also community colleges are a good place to start. My wife is a stay at home mother and also plans to return to school this fall semester. If you have any specific questions for me just email me at caw937@yahoo.com Best of luck to you and your family.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.