Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#469 - 03/24/2005 10:52 AM Am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me start out by saying that I probably sound like a nut.

As compared to most people here I have a very well paying job of an electronics engineer. I am experienced (20 years) and never had a problem find a job in this field. The problem is, after about a year or two from my college graduation I realised that I really don't like what I do. So I haven't liked this work for the last 18 years or so!

I have always been interested in Psychology. So I desided to becore a clinical psychologist and go back to school for a Doctorate degree. Graduate psychology programs are notoriously difficult to get into, but I was accepted into a graduate program at a local (60 miles away) university.

I have 2 weeks to send in my deposit to hold my spot and I have been having daughts: Will I be able to learn (I am 42), will I be able to balance my family responsibility (I have two kids), will my husband tolerate me buing busy all the time with school work, will I last 5 years driving 620 miles a week, etc.

But I guess what really bothers me the most is how do I know I am not making another mistake. What if I don't like this job after spending another 5 years in school.

I am so unsure of what to do. Any thoughts will be helpful.

#470 - 03/24/2005 20:07 PM Re: Am I nuts?
Anastasia Offline

Loc: Chicago
No not at all. My mother is a good example in your case. She went to school to become a nurse and decided to change her degree really late like you to Psychology. She graduated 2 years ago and went all the way to obtain a masters degree and is now licensed...she is 50 years old. It is really not a bad job, at first she had to put in some hours working for a company in order to get licensed...now she is able to have her own clinic and when you are private, you make about $100/hour. Funny enough, she met another person at her old job that is opening a clinic together in the summer. It is relatively a clean job, unless the family you have to counsel is dirty.

#471 - 03/24/2005 20:34 PM Re: Am I nuts?
Anastasia Offline

Loc: Chicago
I am more of an nut than you are :) I have been trying to get back into school to finish up my music degree, but have been hanging out at farms too much! I am having second thoughts about my music degree, and have been working with horses now for the last half year thinking of how cool it would be to run a horse business. So my car is really dirty and muddy. I drive 1 hour away twice a week to have my "horse days" and am now driving in the opposite direction to get training on how to train horses (also 1 hour away). My parents are wondering what is going through my head, after 3 years of music school... Who knows. I just love it :)

#472 - 03/25/2005 05:22 AM Re: Am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is important here is knowing what you like to do (this is not allways obvious) and being able to make a living doing it. I don't think too many people achieve this combination.

In the case of your mother, if you don't mind sharing, how busy is she? Charging $100/hour is great if you have a lot of clients. But if you don't and then subtract the office expenses you are not left with much.

Thanks.

#473 - 04/02/2005 17:46 PM Re: Am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the market is actually not bad for people who have their own private practice. The organizations charge no less than $100/hour, and I am sure that people paying for counceling would go with a private practice just to save a little money...in the meanwhile you are charging let's say $90/hr. Those organizations pay their employees only $15/hr (my poor mother), but she had to do it for her license, and she found out that these people were charging $100/hr to the clients.

The only thing you would have to do is make sure that you market yourself effectively, posting ads/brochures at places you would find people who need counceling (schools, doctor offices, etc.). That and have a website--link it to sites, create a metatag, publish at smartpages, yellowbook, etc.

Once your business is hopping, it gets easier, your clients start referring you.

#474 - 04/02/2005 17:49 PM Re: Am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My mother is starting her own business in June, she is opening a clinic with another licensed psycologist. I am helping out by designing their website free because she is my mom :) . I will keep you updated how it goes.

#475 - 04/02/2005 17:56 PM Re: Am I nuts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can use myself as an example....I teach private music lessons, and started out passing out flyers. In two weeks I had 7 new students, which I charged $30/hr at the time, now it's $36.00.. I was worked to death working at this tool company full-time and my students increased to 31 students without any more flyers, just referrals (that was overload along with holding recitals).

Then something happened in my life that I ran away east and dropped all my lessons, I had to. I managed to make it back to Illinois, but only took back 16 of my original students (I am not sure what town I am going to live in), 4 of them I gave to another teacher. That doesn't often happen....I did set a goal this year to have 41 students by May/June, let's see how fast this can happen with just flyers :) Right now I have 21.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.