Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#516 - 03/27/2005 19:54 PM References
iwillsucceed Offline

I am having a terrible time getting references to go to grad school. All the colleges here require references for grad school, I will definitly need them to get a graduate assistantship or scholarships. I want to be a mental health or community counselor - so in my state that requires a traditional college - due to licensing laws. I have been out of the workforce for awhile taking care of children and elderly relatives. I took some community college courses to reestablish references and they will not write them since it means attending a different school. I took 2 courses at a state college paying for it myself - hoping that the professors would write references so I could be considered for the program - but they say they are deluged with requests - so that didn't work either. The colleges want teacher/professor references - I will need 6 to 10! Pastors, ministers, relatives don't count. Previous employers are deceased or long since moved. Any ideas for me?

#517 - 04/05/2005 06:43 AM Re: References
WildEEP Offline

Get friendly professors.

Seriously, this is all about not giving up. If a professor tells you that they are innundated with requests for references - the correct way to address that is to say something along the lines of "I realize that you probably have a million and one requests for these things, and that you know few if any of them well enough to write an honest recommendation, and that'll probably include me. So what can I do to impress upon you my abilities in order for you to write an honest recommendation"

That puts the ball back in their court so that they cant just say no, but it'll give them a reason to make some milestones to work toward in order to get your recommendations.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.