Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#518 - 11/13/2003 08:50 AM Time Constraints & age worries
abtitle Offline

Loc: Lafayette, LA
I am returning back to college this spring to pursue a BS and proceed to law school. I have completed some 30+ hours already but I am concerned that with a full time job (I own a business)that consists of CRAZY hours I will be unable to copmplete my degree in a reasonable amount of time. I am also concerned that by the time I am ready to apply to law school I will not be admitted due to my age (I'm 30 right now). Does anyone have any advice or similar stories/concerns?????

#519 - 11/23/2003 06:42 AM Re: Time Constraints & age worries

Law schools cannot discriminate against you due to your age! Geez man, you are only 30! I am 45 and just started college last semester and I plan to go to Law School after I get my degree. About working full-time and trying to go to school full time : good luck. Something will give, either your grades or your personal life. Try to find a happy medium or work a more flexible part-time job, get your wife to work or get some loans. Its just not practical. Otherwise set more realistic goals. At 30 you are still just a kid, whats the rush?

#520 - 02/01/2004 22:09 PM Re: Time Constraints & age worries
petronella Offline

Loc: Ohio

My name is Petronella. I found this site sometime in December but this is the first time that I posted. I have been reading the posts for new beginnings and felt compelled to reply. I am surprised at all the people under 30 who think that they are older students. I am now 33 and seemingly have not had the success that most of you have had without degrees. I have worked full time since I graduated both times but have always felt that I was underemployed. One of my reasons for continuing is that I feel like all my friends have passed me by in their careers. I am 33 and I don't own a house, don't have any savings, and live paycheck to paycheck. I'm not starving but know that there is a better life waiting for me somewhere.
I am not married and don't have any children. Most people always tell me that I am lucky in regards to returning to school since I don't have the extra responsibilities but I sometimes have the worry of not having the opportunity of meeting someone and having children whether they are delivered or adopted. It's not my main concern, as I am a firm believer that women should find their own way in life whether that includes the traditional family or not.

I have two degrees and am now considering going to law school. As a matter of fact I should be studying for my LSAT that I will be taking this Saturday. I am ill prepared, but I paid the $108 so I might as well go. I want to enroll this fall so I have to take the test in February. If I had been better prepared, I would have known that the test was offered in December. In any case, I had to sort of jump right in before I lost my nerve. I am still unsure as to whether I will make myself get up on Saturday morning.

I have been kind of psyching myself out by getting flustered over the test preparation books. I did not do well on the ACT or GRE but I still managed to get through undergrad and grad school. It's been almost seven years since I finished my MPA. Law school has been in the back of my mind since I was about seventeen years old but I never had the nerve. I have problems in the self-esteem department if you know what I mean. It's my hope (and with coaxing from a good friend) that I might impress the admissions committees with my personal statement, background, and employment history rather than be excluded due to my LSAT score.

I want to wish all the people who have posted good luck in their individual endeavors. I have to say that I am more than impressed with the women who are 45 plus returning to school, some for the first time in getting that initial degree. I don't know if I would have enough motivation and inclination to do it with family obligations.

Good Luck!

#521 - 02/18/2004 11:28 AM Re: Time Constraints & age worries
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Many adults in their 40s are taking the leap to go back to school. For more information, see our feature articles and special reports section.

Congrats to all!!! :)
Back to College

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.