Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#576 - 04/25/2005 14:40 PM Any advice would be appreciated.
cruca yang Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi everyone,
I am 33 years old female with no children, and I got my GED when I was 18yrs old. Twelve years ago I had absolutly zero interest in pursuing school. My goal back then was to land a job that did not require much education yet made a good income. I found that job offshore and have been with this company for nine years. Although it has provided well, I'm not happy. I figured out at 33yrs old that liking your job really matters. I work two weeks offshore on an oilrig and am home for two weeks.
I want to try going back to school online but I'm scared. I'm scared of failing, or putting so much time into it and it not working out. I was never good at school, NEVER. But, I want to try again. My work schedule offshore is 6am to 6pm for 12 hrs and then I am off for 12. I do have computer access and remember I will be home for two weeks out of each month to dedicate time to school. Has anyone out there ever felt like a slow learner?? And are literally scared to attempt going back to school?

#577 - 04/26/2005 07:06 AM Re: Any advice would be appreciated.
WildEEP Offline

First off, by age 33 you know what the rest of us all know - That there are some extremely MORONIC people out there with college degrees. Now if you know if THEY can do it, then you can too. =)

As for going to school online, there are many avenues. This site has a lot of inks to online degrees..A few to look up on the web might be Strayer University or the University of Pheonix. They'll work around whatever schedule you got and you can take it at your own pace.

Trust me, you CAN do it, and it'll be its own reward to prove to yourself that you can.

#578 - 05/24/2005 13:04 PM Re: Any advice would be appreciated.
SilverBells Offline

You'll probably shock yourself at how well you do. You may never have been good at school before because you didn't care about it much.

The on line format is a lot different than a traditional school and you will to some extent be able to go at your own pace.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.