Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#579 - 07/19/2005 15:55 PM Paying for school and bills
gertee Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi, I have returned to school as many of you have. My job promised to help pay but has now decided the comapny can not afford it. I have not qualified for grants, So I took out student loans, from the federal and school now they are coming due and I need help. I was still living with my husband up to a few months ago, and now I am taking care of myself. Not that he was much help anyway. But now I foot all bills and can barly find money to buy ice cream. Can anyone give me any help on how to get some of my loans forgiven or removed through a hopeful program.

Thanks

#580 - 07/26/2005 06:07 AM Re: Paying for school and bills
WildEEP Offline

The first thing you don't want to do is just not pay them. Seriously, you should call your loan place (whoever you have them thru) and talk with them about your options. Explain your situation and they can work with you and defer starting payments up to 2 years if nessasary, even if you are out of college.

Getting loans completely forgiven is rough, it does happen but very very rarely nowadays, the bottom line is that lending institutions dont like losing money and congress is less inclined to pay them back for you.

#581 - 08/24/2005 15:15 PM Re: Paying for school and bills
need$pleez Offline

The first thing you're gonna want to do is look into consolidating your loans. This will at least have it so that you aren't being bombarded with lenders' mail from every direction. You'll get mail from once source. Also, it's one payment! I don't know what your income level is, but you may want to inquire about a forebearance with the lender(s). Don't assume you don't qualify, you may qualify to at least only have to cover the interest each month for a few months. Hope that helps.

#582 - 09/21/2005 03:56 AM Re: Paying for school and bills
tatork Offline

It's a tough situation. You just have to cut some of your expenses. I was almost in the same situation as you are right now. I started to see what my expenses are and realize that i was "throwing" couple of hundreds every month. I started to change my shops for food, clothing including the phone provider. Used a lot of AT&T and Verizon and the phone bill was toooo big. I started to look for a replacement and found out about prepaid calling cards. Now I use CallTalkNow . They are cheaper and have good quality.
This is the big picture of what i did. The key is always look for alternative. If it's cheaper it's not necessary a must to be bad or low quality as well.
Good luck.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.