Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#632 - 06/18/2005 13:04 PM Accuplacer Test Results
Anon Offline

Hello. I just had to take the accuplacer placement test as part of my college admission. I've beeing trying to find out what the standard scores are for college freshmans at public colleges. I realize the standard probably varies from school to school or state to state, but a general idea of my score level vs. that of a standard freshman's score would greatly satisfy my curiosity.

Most conventional college applicants don't take an accuplacer test, and instead take something else, such as an SAT, but there must be a comparison somewhere. I guess another way of asking my question would be: What scores do students have to get in order to indicate that their competency level is as high or higher than a conventional college freshman's?

My score results for the accuplacer test are the following:

Reading and Comprehension:
Score: 112.4
Percentile: 95%

Sentence Skills:
Score: 117.2
Percentile: 96%

Score: 115.0
Percentile: 97%

Elementary Algebra:
Score: 51.2
Percentile: 64%

My algebra skills are very bad, which is why I am currently taking a no credit algebra prep. course. The other three scores, though, are ones I'm curious about.

If someone were to pick a college freshman out of a random public university college and give them the accuplacer test, what scores would they be expected to get (estimate)?

#633 - 06/18/2005 13:29 PM Re: Accuplacer Test Results
Admin Offline

Loc: California
The percentile rank on the Accuplacer test compares your score with the scores of typical students seeking to enter college who completed the test. So the percentile rank of 95 that you received in Reading and Comprehension shows that your score is higher than an average of 95 out of 100 students who completed the test.
Back to College

#634 - 06/27/2005 10:30 AM Re: Accuplacer Test Results
MermaidMom Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
I dug out mine out of curiosity and here's my scores. I was almost 31 years old when I took them and in H.S. had gone all the way through pre-calc.

Reading Comprehension 116
Sentence Skills 117
Arithmetic 119
Elementary Algebra 107
College Level Math 35

The test placed me in one of three credit math courses: Liberal Arts, Stats, or Decision Making. But wouldn't let me take Algebra or Trigonometry or even the Math for Elementary School teachers without taking one of the non-credit basic courses. In talking with the lady in the Adult Student Success program, she said hardly ANYONE gets placed in the college level math tests from the assessments. She seemed genuinely shocked that I had been. Frankly, I was too.

My point is that you're not alone in needing to brush up on your math in non-credit courses.

#1786 - 04/02/2010 16:29 PM Re: Accuplacer Test Results [Re: MermaidMom]
floursifter Offline

I am a sophmore in high school right now, going to college next year.

Reading Comprehension 116
Sentence Skills 118
Arithmetic 118
Elementary Algebra 118
College Level Math 106
Essay 6

The college level math test is hard and takes some preparation. Pre-Calc is good review for this...I need to go back and look at some of the problems where you have to simplify variable expresions.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.