Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#644 - 08/08/2005 04:57 AM College at 25
deloris80 Offline

I am considering transferring to a 4 year college for either dance and business or dance education. I always wanted to pursue dancce, but I was too nervous. I suffer from major depression and anxiety and I don't want my fears to keep me from pursuing a goal I've had for years. I am also considering an online degree, but I want to be able to meet people face-to-face. I am kind of hesitant about getting an online degree because I expect to find work afterwards. What should do?

#645 - 08/09/2005 04:33 AM Re: College at 25
WildEEP Offline

This is totally up to you. The good news is that either way you do this, you'll find good results. A degree never hurt anyone when it came to looking for work.

This really falls down to what your lifestyle will support. If you are married, have children, are under considerable debt, etc. This would mean that you'd only be able to attend X amount of time and that would dictate the type of institution you'd be looking for.

The good news is that no matter what your situation, you can do it! There are lots of options available.

#646 - 08/09/2005 04:55 AM Re: College at 25
deloris80 Offline

Well, I don't have any children and I am single. I have a little debt, but nothing major.

#647 - 08/09/2005 06:48 AM Re: College at 25
WildEEP Offline

Excellent!

Ok then..you mentioned you were looking to transfer, does that mean that you are already attending classes somewhere else? Community College?

#648 - 08/10/2005 05:09 AM Re: College at 25
deloris80 Offline

Yes, I have transfer credits about 30. I was thinking about a private woman's college. I know it will be expensive, but I just feel in my heart that's where I'm suppose to be.

#649 - 08/12/2005 10:30 AM Re: College at 25
WildEEP Offline

Awesome! You are already well on your way.

Ok now the planning stages. Figure out where you want to go. Start making a list of colleges where you'd like to attend. Whatever you do, DONT SETTLE ON JUST ONE, its the fastest way to get your heart broken and your dreams dashed - you'd be surprised at the number of people who quit trying right there, because they don't get accepted.
http://www.50states.com/college/
Great site for locating colleges in your home state!

Find out the requirements for each and see if its easier to enter as a transfer student, or an undergraduate student.

Fill out those student aid papers! No matter how old we are, Uncle sam owes us a few bucks for this endeavour. You've paid taxes for years and years, now its time for them to ante up! Any dime you get out in aid will be a dime that doesnt come out of your pocket.

There will be letters of acceptance and denial arriving. Keep all the accepted letters and once you've gotten responces from all the colleges you applied at, select the best one from your list of accepted colleges.

From there, you can start worrying about costs and managing those thru your aid packages, student loans, and scholarships.

#650 - 08/31/2005 05:43 AM Re: College at 25
deloris80 Offline

The college I want to go to, I already got accepted to it. It's a private women's college. The only thing is stopping me is the fact that I may have to get some loans. I just don't want to have a bunch of loans after I graduate, but that is the only college I feel I should attend. Another thing is that I suffer from major depression and anxiety and my therapist tells me to choose a large university because it's cheaper, but I know that I may not be happy at a large university. I really want to do dance education, but my theraist is trying to get me to do something else that I may not be happy at doing, like clerical. I'm confused. What should I do?

#651 - 09/09/2005 08:14 AM Re: College at 25
WildEEP Offline

Well I'm of the firm belief that you should persue something that interests you..otherwise why go at all?

I'm sure your therapist wants you to major in something thats gonna earn you a sure shot at something that'll make you money.

Dont worry too much about the loan things, I mean comon..we get car loans, we get house loans, this is just as important. If we're gonna spend money on something worthwhile - this is definately it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.