Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#681 - 08/30/2002 04:35 AM Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
larrydavis Offline

Loc: Texas
I am 60 and have been accepted for graduate study at a local university. I am wondering what issues I may face because of my age, and if anyone has insight into study practices for someone who may have an occasional problem remembering...

#682 - 08/30/2002 22:18 PM Re: Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all, Larry, CONGRATULATIONS! You are an inspiration to me. It is good to hear from older students that know that learning truly is lifelong!

I don't know of any study techniques to improve memory, but I know that if you try a search in Google with the terms "older students" + memory, you should come up with some information to get you started. Research is being done on this topic, and so far it's said that older students do not do as well as younger students in some areas of memory retention, but do better in others. :) Any comments, anyone???

#683 - 09/01/2002 19:33 PM Re: Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
panic1 Offline

Hi Larry, Congrats! Here's some of my "plan":
Take lots of notes,do short "reviews of each class every day spending about 5 minutes on each, then do weekly reviews about an hour per class once a week.For the weekly I make flash cards with the question on one side and the answer on the other. As I self test I put the cards I answer right 5 times in the I know pile and the ones I answer wrong in the must study pile Of course thats 5 different study times.I tape record a question, wait 10 seconds and tape record the right answer and when I play the question I try to get the right answer said before the tape says it.
Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps, Good Luck

#684 - 09/03/2002 13:43 PM Re: Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
larrydavis Offline

Thank you for your comments. I will certainly mount a search for AAMI (Age Associated Memory Impairment) as well as Mature Learning + Memory.

The flash card suggestion is very good. I have been using 3x5 cards on a limited basis for my self-study of the Spanish language. I can see where these can be extended to other topics.

I had not thought of the tape recorder as a study aid.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Larry :D

#685 - 09/03/2002 19:04 PM Re: Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Hi Larry:

We have a special feature on mneumonics that is full of memory techniques:
http://www.back2college.com/memorize.htm

I knew a student who took notes in classes AND tape recorded the lecture. When she played it back, it reminded her of things she missed and helped her to flesh out her notes. Journalists sometimes do this when interviewing. :)

#686 - 09/04/2002 15:07 PM Re: Pitfalls for the Mature Learner
larrydavis Offline

Thank you! I read the feature you suggested. Very helpful.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.