Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#687 - 12/16/2001 13:16 PM How do I get into the (inner-circle) at work now that I've graduated at 47?
b1flyfish Offline

Loc: Utah
I've been with my employer for 15 years. I work for a municipal landfill. My job title, which is in the environmental compliance field, is called (Waste Inspector). Now that I've completed a BS degree in business management (3.85 GPA) my employer could care less. That's what I believe. The director of this municipal landfill congratulated me on my graduation, however he never offered me a helping hand at getting an internship within the County Government System. He told me that no internships where available. I found out one week after talking to him that an intern had just been hired in our department. I must be to old I guess. Maybe I'm not related to anybody in political positions. I could retire in 10 years at my present salary. I want to move into a better paying administrative job where I work. I need management experience, however. Additionally, I also need political connections. Any feedback?

#688 - 12/17/2001 12:12 PM Re: How do I get into the (inner-circle) at work now that I've graduated at 47?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not check out what career positions require a BS degree in Business Management?

See what your options are, and target positions you are interested in. Just because your employer does not seem to want to promote you to another position doesn't mean you cannot attain another position in a different company or field, or one where you would attain management experience.

You might also contact other key personnel within the county system. Start to network, and build some connections. You persevered this long - don't give up on your goal! :)

#689 - 12/22/2001 15:17 PM Re: How do I get into the (inner-circle) at work now that I've graduated at 47?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FlyFish,

Don't let them off the hook so easily! Did your organization pay for your education, through a Tuition Assistance Plan (TAP) benefit? If they did, they do understand the connection between education and increased productivity. If they don't offer a substantial TAP - then that should tell you something. TAPs are also used to strengthen employee recruiting and retention efforts.

Government, on any level, does not always offer the most innovative work environment. You may want to seek employment outside the government, but still with environmental companies. Often, adults complete degrees and expect an immediate new job, title and greater pay. This is not always the case. There are no guarantees, and things take time. Understand that "politics" play a part in every sector of business - government and corporate America - even within higher education. That is why it is so important to have your degree to help open doors of possibilities.

Remember, education is yours. It is more than what a paycheck represents. You are the "master of your own universe", so don't give up. Keep networking and applying for many jobs - within government - or not. - Faith

Dr. Faith Ivery
Educational Advisory Services

#690 - 12/31/2001 09:16 AM Re: How do I get into the (inner-circle) at work now that I've graduated at 47?
redrich Offline

First, congratulations on obtaining that Degree! Way to go!

I know that municipalities and health departments have boards that one can apply to participate in. I would try that route. It's a good way to get your name out there and to make connections. I know locally we have a sewer district board, a solid waste board, and a water quality board, to name a few. I'm sure your experience would qualify you for board membership.

Good luck!

#691 - 03/10/2002 08:57 AM Re: How do I get into the (inner-circle) at work now that I've graduated at 47?
timmyq45 Offline

Loc: bay area
I work for county government also - one thing that you have to realize is that you may have to leave to get promoted. I certainly think staying in the same retirement system is a good idea, since you have o much time invested, but I think you might need to think of other positions outside of your current area. Perhaps another job in the county might have an opening for someone with your degree. Keep looking and use your connections and friends to help you!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.