Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#700 - 06/19/2004 19:43 PM any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Shari Offline

Hi everyone,
I am currently attending a 2 year school as a college transfer student. I currently take 3 -4 classes a semester. Most online and 1 on campus. Since I am going back to school to become a teacher I would like to return to school full time and work p/t. I am 36 years old and the single parent of a 12 year old. Does anyone have any advice on quitting your job to go back to school f/t. I will have some money saved and I really don't want to use goverment assistance.

I would appreciate ideas from anyone who is currently doing this as well.

Thanks

#701 - 06/22/2004 13:52 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

Loc: NY
Hi Shari-I don't know if I can help-but since no one else posted back to you I thought I would. (I love this sight-I wish more people would post on here-like daily). Anyhoots-I think all of us non-traditional students would love to quit our jobs and go to school full time! I have contiplating it too, but for me it just isn't reality-at least for now. I am 25, been on my own since 17 and decided to go back to college last semester. Best decision of my life-I love it! But, I am sooo broke-I live paycheck to paycheck and most of time its gone before I get it. I already had to take out 5K in loans-just for community college! I plan to transfer to a 4 year after-but I have to live on loans, etc.
So, my advice would be-if you have a significant amount saved up-then hey good for you and go for it! But realistically, you probably will definately have to work part time. You also have to think about health benefits, etc too.
I plan to work my a$$ off during my community college days, take out loans (lots,lol) pay off all my bills (car,credit cards,etc with the high intrest) and when I transfer I will have no bills but car insurance so by then I can afford to work only part time and focus on classes to the fullest. Right now I take on a 13 credit school load plus summer classes and work 40+ hours a week-no time for anything else-but all worth it in the long run!!

Sorry for babling-Good Luck to you! By the way where are you going to school??

#702 - 07/13/2004 04:40 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
semalone Offline

Danielle,

I just signed on and saw your posting of June 22nd. I am planning to go back to college after 15 years in the workplace! I will be going back full time. I was wondering what kind of loans would you be taking out to pay off all your bills? I have been checking into the same thing, but I do not find a loan that I can pay everything off and my payments be deferred until I'm out of school. Please let me know the trick!!!!

#703 - 07/14/2004 06:11 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

What I did is start by filling out the FASFA ASAP when you are enrolled in college. You will get your EFC and then the school will let you know if you qualified for any grants,etc. Because it is only a community college I am attending (much lower tuition), I only received $100 towards my $1200 a semester tuition (because I made 20K last year). The rest was up to me to pay (I think they thought I was going to pull it out of you know where :) ) So here comes the trick-every academic year no matter what what your credit situation is, (these are subsidized/unsubsidized loans) that are gov't guaranteed). They are capped at like 2650 for community college a semester-BUT THE TRICK IS: If you are an independant student you can take another $4K on top of that for living expenses, books, etc. So that is what I did. The check gets sent to the school (payable in 2 payments) and the school applies the money to any outstanding tuition and they give the rest to you in a check! SO that is what I did :)

#704 - 07/14/2004 06:17 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

Another hint-Pay the interest while you are in school! It's only like $5 a month-and it will really help in the long run-to not have all that accumulate. My loans are through Citibank-and they are very good. I received half subsidized and half not-so I pay the interest on half during my schooling, and the government pays the interest on the other half. You don't start paying the loans back until 6 months after your graduation date. And to figure what your payments will be is for every 10K you take out it will be $100/mo payment. $20K-$200/mo etc for about 10 years:)

#705 - 07/24/2004 12:12 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
TammyR Offline

Hi Shari and Danielle.
I am 41 single and no children. I am considering going back to school full time. I currently work full time and would have to quit my job in order to do this. I am my sole support. I would just like to know what kind of loans are out there for someone to pay for their education and have living expenses. Will they let you take out enough to live thru the year with these loans. I would appreciate any advice you could offer. SCARED!

Tammy

#706 - 07/24/2004 12:35 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
lorrella Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Hey non-traditionals! Having roommates is a big financial help! Especally for us older women! We could network! Put your cities on your postings. Anyone in Houston?

#707 - 07/25/2004 14:32 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

I too at first thought of quitting work and attending school full time, but reality kick in and there was just no way. Seeing I am single, I support myself with no help-living paycheck to paycheck with nothing extra. So-unless you have someone supporting you or have a substaincial savings I wouldn't recommend anyone living off loans alone-unless you have too. Try taking one or two classes first, while working to see how it goes. I work 40 hours a week while taking 4 classes-and I am fine. Stressed and tires yes but its worth it. I keep a 3.40 GPA (Deans List) so it is possible to do both. Now for the loans, you can get Stafford loans, but they are capped I believe at 2650 per academic year, but us non-Trads can take out an additional 4000, so 6650 per school year. Now keep in mind that most of that goes directly to your tution, etc so little is left over. Your other option is a private loan (seeing your credit is okay). But there are thousands of scholarships-that take time to apply for-but hey you never know right? The easiest ones to apply to our the ones your school offers-check with the financial aid office. Good Luck!!

I am in Poughkeepsie NY plan to transfer to the South beginning of 2006!

#708 - 07/28/2004 17:19 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
TammyR Offline

Danielle, Thanks for the advice on working and school. I am still weighing all my options. Unfortunately, the hours I work, just will not allow school and working at the same time. So I am checking out many avenues. I don't know yet what I will do. I do want to go to school. I am 41 and really feel strongly about it. I wish it hadn't taken me this long to realize it though. I applaud you on your accomplishments and making the Dean's List!! Way to go. Where will you be going to school when you transfer? I live in Arkansas and have all my life. I would someday love to see NY.

#709 - 07/30/2004 03:48 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

The schools I am looking at are University of South Florida in Tampa,FL, Coastal Carolina in South Carolina-10 miles from Myrtle Beach, or I will stay in NY on Long Island attending Stony Brook University. I will probably choose depending on the financial package-I have taken 10K out in loans just for community college-alone! I am scared I am really digging a hole for myself. But I am happy regardless of the debt!!

#710 - 07/30/2004 16:44 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
biodeb Offline

Loc: Texas
Hello everyone,

Just had a thought that may be helpful to Tammy. Would you be in a position to apply to a school that has housing? If you are independent and could do that, your financial aid package will cover your housing, tuition, meal tickets, books and other expenses. Your financial aid package may consist of loans the first year, depending on how much you made last year but after that you will have 0 EFC (expected family contribution) and should be eligible for grants and less loans.
If you own your home maybe you could lease it out while you are in school (to someone you trust), that would cover your mortgage plus give you a little extra $. Anyway, just an idea. That's what most of us missed out on if we didn't go to college after high school. One of my daughter's friends has a roommate who is 43.
Yea Danielle! Hats off to you for taking on so much and being so successful.

#711 - 11/03/2004 10:53 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
RoctopusB Offline

I'm actually planning on selling my house and using the equity to pay off bills. Then I'll move closer to school so that I'm not spending so much on gas or time to get there. Fortunately I have a finacee that is capable of supporting us both as long as I can get rid of our credit card debt and find a cheap apartment. I'm 26 and planning on starting school full time in the fall. In that time I should have sold the house, paid off bills and saved some extra to pay for school for one or two semesters. After that I'll need loans to cover the next couple of semesters until I can qualify for grants and scholarships (circa Fall 2007). There is one problem though. If I don't get married I don't have health insurance. But if I do marry then I will lose out on the scholarships and grants. However, I think I'll let grades determine that route. Lower grades would mean that I don't really have a chance at scholarships so then I should marry. Higher grades mean that appearing independent would offer better chances towards grants and scholarships. Anyway, I couldn't find any loans that specifically covered living expenses. It was bothering me quite a bit until I decided to sell the house. I'm amazed by anyone that can work and go to school, I just can't seem to do both. Anyway, the FAFSA will set you up with government loans, scholarships, and grants, but you will have to search elsewhere for non-subsidized loans. A good site I've found is estudentloan.com. www.student-loans.com has links to many major student loan sites as well as state specific sites. Somewhere this is likely to be a program that is designed for adult students needing assistance with living expenses. Also, I have heard that talking to your financial aid office is highly beneficial because they can actually change your status and qualifications for grants and scholarships for special circumstances. I.e. for a person that worked full time last year, they can make the special exception that you aren't working now and change your status to meet requirements for grants. It's sad, but I don't think the current system was really designed with the returning student in mind. Talking to an advisor is the best thing.

#712 - 11/07/2004 13:03 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Kbrown Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I went through this three years ago. It was so hard to leave a full time job and go to making $0. It is still hard but through the grace of GOD, I am still in school. Follow your heart, God will make a way.

#713 - 11/07/2004 14:31 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
Danielle Offline

Unfortuneately, I have to work-alot. I have alot of debt and I am single and supporting myself. If I were to miss one paycheck-I would be so screwed, I have no savings either. Oh well, hopefully I will alright by the time I am 80,LOL.

#714 - 11/15/2004 08:09 AM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
sess73 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Hi! Have read over the posts to this discussion and am curious as to the unsubsidized loans. When the college sends you your "award letter" they have the subsidized loan amount you're eligible for, but nothing about unsubsidized loans. How do you apply for these? I'm 31, married and have 2 kids. Our total income is what I would probably make my FIRST year fresh out of college (teaching). I've naively rejected taking out ANY type of loan before, but now that I've about exhausted all of my online class options (which enabled me to continue working full time), I've got to do something. I've been looking since last spring for a part time job that will work around a college schedule and have yet to find it (southeast Arkansas is definately NOT the place to be picky about such things). I have about resigned myself to being in debt after finishing college so that I can have a way to pay for "living expenses" while I'm in school.
Sorry to rattle on. Any information at all will be appreciated.

#715 - 11/21/2004 13:07 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
tcnixon Offline

Loc: California, USA
Hi! Have read over the posts to this discussion and am curious as to the unsubsidized loans. When the college sends you your "award letter" they have the subsidized loan amount you're eligible for, but nothing about unsubsidized loans. How do you apply for these

I'm surprised that your school did not offer that to you as well. It's quite common practice to offer part as subsidized and part as unsubsidized. You may want to give them a call and clarify that you would be willing to accept unsubsidized (and also let them know that you need more money -- you don't ask, you don't get!).

Best,

Tom Nixon
Author, Bears\' Guide to Earning High School Diplomas Nontraditionally Co-author, Bears\' Guide to the Best Education Degrees by Distance Learning

#716 - 11/28/2004 15:26 PM Re: any advice for quitting job to go to school f/t
superc Offline

Loc: Toronto
Hey Everyone,
i havent seen this idea tossed around yet so I thought i'd add it; if any of your owns a house or has a good (working) relative or friend who owns a house/apartment then take out a secured line of credit, the interest rates are much much lower and manageble while you are in school. they are also very flexible and as such easier to pay off.

good luck!

common college problems? perhaps I can help! : http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/18867/seminar

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.