Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#746 - 08/18/2005 10:36 AM Single Mom doing it all
nicole2404 Offline

Hi I need some advice from someone. I have been trying to get money for school. Financial Aid only covers so much I work to job to keep the bills paid. And yet I still need assistance from the government for food, daycare, housing. I need and want to go back so I can do something for my son and myself. I need to know are there any programs out there that help single mothers. The state that I live in has no funding, so thats out. Please someone help. Thank You. - Nicole

#747 - 08/19/2005 03:39 AM Re: Single Mom doing it all
WildEEP Offline

You might be surprised about the government programs for assistance, especially with single parents. I can run some baseline info for you at least, what state do you live in?

#748 - 09/09/2005 08:05 AM Re: Single Mom doing it all
Greeney Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Can't believe your state offers nothing - what state is that!? Listen....please do not get discouraged - I too was a single mother to at the time, a 1st grader - I was entering my 1st grade of college and he was in 1st grade - I graduated when he was in 5th grade, began teaching 6th grade at the same time my son was in 6th grade, so....you can do it!!! It is not easy, but can be done - I'm assuming you are over 23? If so, apply for financial asst at your college (through FASA or PHEAA) - you should get (as I did) FULL GRANTS, plus loans in the amount of $5,000 to $10,000 per year to live on - and if you are getting food stamps, section 8 housing, etc. you can manage on very little money. You can also get medical assistance for you and your son and believe me, it's the best medical I've ever had! I know it is hard and I admire you for doing it so hang in there please!!!

#749 - 09/09/2005 10:33 AM Re: Single Mom doing it all
jeannelst Offline

Loc: Atlanta
I agree. Go for it. There is money out there to be had. I went to the book store and library, and lived on line search for funds. It was hard, but paid off. I searched every category listed, single women, women over 35, minority women, specific fields of study. don't let that be an obstacle.
My downfall is the only schools avaiable for what that are highly rated are in the Northeast. I live in Georgia. I am contemplating if leaving my daughter for 7 months is worth it. She is a teenager, and does not want to move. How to financially support two households is where my dilema starts.

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.