Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#75 - 12/30/2001 08:15 AM Pregnancy during College?
pookiebear Offline

Hey everyone-

I am a 32 year old wife and mother who has worked in banking for the last 12 years. I am taking the plunge and going back to school, hopefully for nursing or teaching.

One question - my husband and I are not getting any younger and we would like our kids to be close in age so I would like to get pregnant within the next year. (Plus my OB advised it soon)

Is that crazy to try to go to school (part or full time) be a Mom and Wife and Pregnant too? I will be getting done at my job and devoting that time to school. I worked FT until the day I delivered last time. And in the midst of it all my Father died and my Mom was in ICU for most of my pregnancy and got better, worse and then passed away in May of this year. But she at least got to see my Wonderful Son!

Any suggestions? My fear with the Nursing program is that it must go in the Fall/Spring Fall/Spring Rotations.

Ideas anyone?

Oh and I commend you all on your return to school! I am inspired.

#76 - 12/30/2001 09:36 AM Re: Pregnancy during College?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

If you have the practical and emotional support to become pregnant while a student, I would encourage you to stay enrolled. Many expectant parents leave school to have a child thinking they will go back in the near future, but facts show many never do.

Also, some schools provide programs and support for expectant/pregnant students and may be able to provide insight, help and guidance. Building flexibility into your academic schedule might be a consideration, too.

Whichever way you decide to go, its your decision. Make it an informed one. :) Best of luck to you.

#77 - 12/30/2001 21:22 PM Re: Pregnancy during College?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My best advice...if you and your spouse are committed...if you continue to run the house and work...go to school part time, and try to take accelerated classes if at all possible...Believe me, early deliveries, morning sickness, contractions, labor, and the first month with the newborn, cannot be scheduled into your life so neatly...Remember with a nursing program you will eventually be doing some heavy lifting...so plan ahead as much as possible, but be very flexible...

Best of luck!

Mom of 2, Spouse, college student, working...
[P.S. My grades ended up suffering a little due to delivering my 2nd daughter one week before finals...]

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.