Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#750 - 09/09/2005 19:20 PM Financial Aid Administrator woes
vdubstress Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I filled out my renewal FASFA at the end of January, received my SAR and printed it. Filled out my Cal Grant GPA verification and sent that in by the deadline. My situation is a bit unique, I am 29 years old, which by all accounts makes me an independent student. I have a nine year old daughter, of whom I have sole legal and physical custody of. There is no child support court order, I buy everything for my daughter, I am solely responsible for her food, clothing, and transport to and from school, etc. We get by OK, slim, but OK. My Financial Aid Administrator (Melba) made an adjustment to my FASFA, she changed my family size to 1, and changed my number of dependents to 0. When I went to my schools Financial Aid Office, she explained to me that according to Financial Aid I have no dependents that receive more than half of their support from me. The justification she gave me for this was because my mother gave me $6,000 in 2004, technically she (my mother) was supporting my daughter, The $6,000 dollars is not a gift, I publish the newspaper for my mothers senior community, and do other various technical and handyman tasks that she (who is 65) is unable to accomplish. This is confusing, and very frustrating. I have searched the student aid website, and the FASFA website extensively, as well as the Students guide to Financial Aid and have found nothing that defines or clearly states what the boundaries are for this matter. If she is not considered to be my dependent child who receives half of my support, does that effect my family size? Should it be lowered to 1? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on this matter.

#751 - 09/16/2005 12:17 PM Re: Financial Aid Administrator woes
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Can you document that the $6000 was for employment or work services and not a gift? Do you and your daughter live independently from your mother in a separate residence?

It is important when filling out the FAFSA for financial aid that you be able to provide proof of income, expenses, etc. If your mother merely gave you the $6,000 and it was not documented or reported for tax purposes, etc., there is nothing to distinguish it from being a "gift". Do you have other employment/income other than assisting your mother and the senior community?

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.