Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#772 - 09/24/2005 18:48 PM Maintaining Discipline
sada Offline

Hi everybody, my name is Sada, and I'm new to the site.
I've been reading some of you're posts, and much of what's being written equates to my feelings about going back to school, and college in general.

I don't know where to start, except by introducing myself, and explaining where I am in life.
I'm 27 years old. I am single, and I do not have children. I recently moved to the state in which I now reside because of a lay-off that I experienced with my last employer, back home.
When I came here, it was my desire to go back to college.
For the third time.
After that lay-off I realized more than ever before that I needed to have something under my belt, something to fall back on, something to make me marketable in the economy. So I decided to become a nurse. I decided that I would go back to school to become a licensed practical nurse. I determined that I couldn't lose by traveling that route - nurses were (and still are) in demand in every part of the country. So a couple of months after settling here in this new city (living w/ relatives for a short while), I enrolled in a junior college for the third time in my life. Oh, it was all fire and zeal for the first six months. Nothing could deter me from my focus on college. It was almost exhilarating - being back in school, soaking up that college experience. The whole rushing to class thing, sipping cafe lattes while pulling an all-nighter and numerous but sometimes needless trips to the library all provided a thrill for me.
It was the college experience, you see.
But after a while the zeal was gone, the fire long ceased and I became bored and frustrated. I was bored with the theoretical, frustrated with the unnecessary nd restless while sitting in class, all because I was bored and frustrated.
This time when I went back to school - the third time - it was not a charm, it was a bore.
What excited me when I was 18 did not excite me when I was 26. What inspired me when I was 20 did not expire me when I was 26. I wasn't interested any longer in philosophy - I seemed to gain my own philosophies about life, no matter if these "philosophies" were considered to be grand in scheme; they were my philosophies.
I wasn't interested any longer in understanding ancient literature; in fact, I didn't have the patience to sit through a lecture on it.
Everything was different when I went back to school - for the third time - because obviously, I was different. Not only older in age, but different; I had changed. My outlook, my perspective on life, had changed. Experiences shaped me, and thus my thoughts were not the same thoughts I had when I was 18.
But, I write all this to emphasize my dilemma: I do realize that to have a college education is considered almost (but not quite) necessary to obtain and maintain at least a decent way of life. (When I stopped and really pondered about this, I came to the conclusion that I am putting myself in debt in order to be successful, at least moderately, only to spend the rest of my life trying to get out of it. That is so very stupid to me. It seems ridicilous.)
And realizing this, I do want to go back to school - for the fourth time - to obtain some type of certification or degree; something that will serve as proof that I went to college!
However, this the problem that arises: I'm bored in school.
I will admit, though, that there are some subjects that are taught in college that are interesting, such as some of the social sciences, only but to a degree. But other than that, after the novelty of doing something new wears off, I'm bored with the routine amd I quit.
How do I maintain the discipline to stick with college until I obtain what I think I need?
I'm more than willing to accept advice here.

*Let me emphasize that I'm not against college. There are obviously many jobs that require higher-level education.
Who wants a self-professed cardiologist diagnosing you with a heart murmur?
And don't want to give the impression that I hate college, because I don't. I would just like to know how I can go about going back to school, without losing interest rapidly, and maintaining the discipline necessary to finish it through.
And one more thing...I saw a lot of posts about online schools. I'm strongly considering going through with it, but i would like to hear of people's experiences with it.
So please, share, especially if you went through Axia College, an affiliate of the University of Phoenix.

#773 - 09/24/2005 18:53 PM Re: Maintaining Discipline
sada Offline

Sorry...I was typing so fast that I misspelled words and skipped some...but hopefully it didn't throw anyone off!

#774 - 09/24/2005 21:22 PM Re: Maintaining Discipline
djacks Offline

Loc: Michigan
All I can say about that is, You must truly find something that you are interested in. I been at this college gig part-time for 4 1/2 years now, including the last 4 summers. The three facts that keep me in school are:
1. I can't stand the dead-end job I've been in for the last 17 years.
2. I found something I'm really interested in to keep me going through the classes I couldn't care less about.
3. Comparing myself now from who I was 4 1/2 years ago, I can tell college is making a difference.

If you are considering college on-line, it takes alot of self-discipline. I've taken a few on-line classes over my college career now and that is what I've realized about on-line learning. That you do not have right now. Perhaps you find something that you truly interested in, that may change.

Go to the community college you were enrolled in, and see about taking a personality assessement. I think they call it the Myers/Briggs test. See where that leads you. Based upon the test results, research some careers that may interest you.

Good luck,
Djacks

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.