Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#777 - 09/26/2005 06:30 AM 4 Years of college..No Degree
janderson Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 09/26/2005
Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
I have successfully completed 4 years of college and needed a few more courses to graduate. However, I landed a job right after my 4th year and now 9 years later I am wanting to go back and finish up. What do I need to do? and how long will it take me to earn my degree? I have 110 credit hours.


#778 - 10/03/2005 16:48 PM Re: 4 Years of college..No Degree
stsnelson Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/03/2005
Loc: Bronx, NY
Based on my knowledge (need to check for yourself) you need 128 credits. That means you have 18 credits left.

Some people can do it in a semester. However, I would do it over two semesters to make it easier on yourself.

Now here's the catch! Will you be returning to the college you left many years ago? If it's a, "Yes" then you should be able to complete it in two semesters.

If you said, "No" then it may be a problem. The reason is you will have to request a transcript from the college you attended and submit it to the college you plan to attend. They they would evaluate your credits and determine if they will accept all or some of them.

That puts you in a bind because you have to wait until they approve the credits you have to find out how long it will take to complete your degree.

I am not aware of any college that will take 100% of the credits from another institution. Hopefully, you will go to the college you left. :)

"Invest In Yourself For It's The Only Thing You Can Control!"

#779 - 10/19/2005 18:48 PM Re: 4 Years of college..No Degree
Never Disparaging Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 10/19/2005

If you want to go back to the college where you started your degree program, the first thing you need to do is talk to the academic advisor of the department your degree is in. Because you were away for quite some time, your degree requirements most likely have changed and you will be subject to the new requirements.

If you plan to go to another college then you should print out an unofficial transcript or order an official transcript for yourself and talk to the department academic advisior of the college to find out what is transferrable and what is not.

If you end up having to take a few courses more than you needed before, please don't let this stop you. A degree is such a wonderful thing to have and no one can take it away from you. With a degree, so many more doors open up for you.

I hope this helps! Good luck!


Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.