Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#791 - 10/13/2005 11:41 AM Studying at University
crazychair Offline

Loc: Toronto
hi all,
to make a long story short....i started university at 29 and I'm 33 now.

I only have 3 credits to my name.

I have worked for the same organization for the last 13 years.(full-time) I'm sooo bored!!

I have a habit of starting courses and end up not finishing them because I panick about the workload.
I realize that this is not benefiting me in the long run, but I'm scared of success/failure.

All my grades have been A's.

Do you think it's too late to start again?? This time, I want to stick it out as people keep telling me the payoff is enormous!!! I'd like to maybe one day teach in university. I have guest lectured and written letters of reference for Prof's. I also have a physical disability.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

#792 - 10/19/2005 18:16 PM Re: Studying at University
Never Disparaging Offline

Hello crazychair,

You should definately go back to school to finish your degree...if of course, it's what you want. I used to have the same problem as you with regard to dropping classes. Granted, it does not look good on your transcript if you keep dropping classes. First of all, if your are having anxiety about your workload, it may help to see a campus counselor and your academic advisor. These people can help you to cope with your anxiety. If you are working full-time, then you probably don't want to take a full load of classes. I would start with one class at a time. When you gain confidence and establish a steady study schedule, then try taking more. From what you are sharing, it sounds like there is a pattern to your anxiety and it must be addressed as soon as possible before proceeding with your program. Please don't give up. I suffered from severe anxiety/depression and I had to get help to manage my classes. Although I didn't make all A's and B's, I received my degree and got a job that I love. The key is knowing what your limits are and adjusting yourself accordingly. Don't feel like that you have to go through this alone. If you are physically disabled, most schools have excellent programs to assist students with disabilities. Please do not allow your disability to deter you from achieving your dream. You can do this! Most importantly, you have to believe that you can do this! I hope this helped! I wish you the best! Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.