Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#795 - 10/04/2005 14:06 PM Reputable programs or not?
fragged Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

My grades in college were not very good, but I really want to pursue a graduate degree in psychology.

I am considering pursuing a Psy.D. from Argosy University, but I really don't know if it is a good idea. Are people who take programs from schools like this looked down upon?

It's just that the programs don't seem to be very competitive, i.e. no GRE requirements.

Does anyone know if the investment, which is pretty significant, is worth it?

My other option is to complete a Masters program in England, and then try to get into a Psy.D. program back in the U.S., but I see that most of the Masters programs are only 1 year. Would a 1 year Masters program even be accepted here?

#796 - 10/06/2005 15:00 PM Re: Reputable programs or not?
Admin Offline

Loc: California
Argosy University is regionally accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools . To learn more about the school, check out guides such as the Princeton Review .
Back to College

#797 - 10/17/2005 07:31 AM Re: Reputable programs or not?
nicholemd Offline

Loc: Atlanta

My mother is a student of the school, and some programs do REQUIRE the GRE, believe me I know. the masters in professional counseling do not, but the masters in clinical psychology do, and as for the Psyd. program there is a GRE req. I think Argosy works for students who will continue to work while attending college. There are week-end and evening courses. My mother's mentor runs her on clinic in marietta georgia, if you contact Argosy, I am sure they will give you names of grads that can better assist you.

Good Luck,

nichole md

#798 - 10/19/2005 18:05 PM Re: Reputable programs or not?
Never Disparaging Offline

Hello fragged,

About your grades in college and your desire to pursue a doctorate, you still have a chance of getting into a good school. Any area you are weak in can be made up for the most part by your GRE scores, quality of letters of recommendations, and your work experience in the area you are pursuing. Your personal statement should be well written with an explanation for why your undergraduate grades were not so good. Your statement of purpose should be focused and well written. It will help if you contact advisors at schools your are interested in attending to find out about their admission criteria. Also, in finding out how good a school is, you should check on their accreditation status. The type of accreditation a school has says a whole lot about the quality of education provided at an institution. I cannot stress how important this is. Please check this before spending valuable money and time on a program.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.