Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#800 - 10/09/2005 09:29 AM American Wisdom!
Austin Offline

Loc: England
Hi everyone, it sounds silly, I live in England and stuck in a situation, brits are really no help but I came across this board and you guys seem so much more positive! Therefore I really need to ask for your advice! I've been racking my brain out for months now. Whats written below is alot of brit terms.
I'm 23 now, but had a checkered academic history.I grew up in a rough area (something like queens in NY) and from a poor family, went to an ok highschool. I started college (in england) at my local university, it was a lab science course, I was only there because I didnt do well at highschool. at the same time my parents pressured me since highschool to get into medicsl school (in the UK you do medicine straight after highschool or more recently can enter with a degree onto an accelerated course). So I did a year of this, it was ok, I was living at home but not developing to my fullest potential. Then came along a an access to medicine course, I passed the first year of my lab science course and transfered to this access course. I passed that and sucessfully got accepted into medical school at 22. I was happy as pie. The school was in the same county, but I decided to live on campus. This is where everything went wrong! After years of a supressed homelife, it all just came out, for one I became a much more outgoing person and realised what I'd been missing out on. I'd been living in a really poor violent area and never had many good experiences (was shot twice). I became too laidback, partyed everynight, and just assumed I could sail through the first year of medical school. I became really popular on campus, but this distracted me from work. In the end I failed miserably. luckily the school let me resit the exams, I ended up failing those. the school extraordinarily let me resit my first year (But without attendance). I thought yes I can work and resit etc and I still lived in my college city. However that year became a nightmare year, back home my father fell severely ill and was crippled, I was made homeless for months, family become incredibly poor. I became hooked on drugs, became clinically depressed. I fell badly ill. Needless to say I failed and was thrown out of the school.
So I came back home this summer, was angry at the college and people. Then realised I became an arrogant monster with no respect. I did many months of thinking, rethinking, and reading forums like this on the internet. It is only coming across such a positive forum as back2college.com that I plucked up the courage to post. I realise there are people who are worse off than me and I squandered a perfectly good oppurtunity (the medschool was one of the best in the country and all fees were paid).
I want to go back to college and I want to become a doctor. This is after some serious thought (my folks want me to become an accountant now!) but I really want to go into medicine for so many reasons.
In the UK medical school is either 5 years long where you enter from highschool, lot of 18-19 year olds on the course, or a 4 year accelerated course for graduates (similar to american system but more relaxed). I can go back to my the university where my old medical school was, I've been offered a place on the 2nd year of humanties degree. I kinda want to do this, but I think the only reason is because alot of my friends are still there (last year though) and Im not really going back for a good reason. Or I can reapply altogether for college for another degree.
I know my siutation sounds ridicolous, esp when theres people in worst situations on this forum.
I just feel a bit old coming back to college (if I had worked at medical school I would have just had three years left to become a doctor). I want to go back to college also to get the full college experience, which sounds silly, but again I feel I would be out of place with the 19 year old kids.
I'm very confused!
Yours a very confused, apologetic brit.
p.s if anyone wants any info about studying in britain i would be more than happy to help. Plus if anyone wants any help with personal statements/admissions essays I will help as I used to be a proofreader.

#801 - 10/19/2005 18:30 PM Re: American Wisdom!
Never Disparaging Offline

Dear Austin,

We all have a path that we must follow in order to get to where we want to go. Sometimes we have to experience things the hard way to appreciated the opportunities that are given to us. With that said, please do not waste your energy beating yourself up on your past decisions. From your message, it sounds like you are settling for less than your heart desires. You want to go to medical school and become a doctor yet you are contemplating on going to school for humanities. A humanities degree is not going to help you get into medical school. What will help you is taking science and science lab courses and volunteering in a health related field. If you want to get back into medical school, you have got to prove to the admissions board that you are ready and undertake the course work required to complete the program. In the U.S., if a person is academically dismissed from a school, they have the opportunity to be readmitted provided that they have shown that they are able to successfully complete the program. You need to decide on what you want to do with your life. Friends come and go but you will always be there to face what life has to offer you. Get focused and start doing what you need to do to become a doctor, if that is what your truly want. Maybe talk to the people who dismissed you and see if you can get back in. I hope that you take this advice to heart. I have no judgement against you and I wish you great success! Take care!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.