Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#804 - 10/14/2005 02:06 AM Concerned about going back...
HwJ Offline

Loc: Kuwait
Ok, let me lay it out as best I can. I will be 38 years old in November. I am currently working in Kuwait as a contractor. I have been here for about 2 1/2 years. I must admit that the money is REALLY good, but, I also know that this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. The old saying "Money isn't everything" rings true! I have a beautiful wife and 6 year old daughter at home that I miss dearly. I have attended college off and on since I was about 19 years old. Back then I had no motivation or direction so going to school was just something to do. Anyway, I have roughly 30 hours of transferable credit.
I have always been the primary bread winner in our house. My wife is one course away from getting her Real Estate license and will then begin work again. She has not been working during the time I have been overseas so she could be there for our daughter while I was away. I know that when I do go home there is no way I will find a job that pays anywhere near what I make now. I also realize that it will take easily 3-4 years minimum in order for me to get a degree and that is if everything goes exactly right. I guess my main concern is that the financial strain I will be putting on us by taking a job to get by with while I go to school. Another concern I have is that when I do get my degree why would someone hire me,(with no experience), over someone MUCH younger? My background is in IT but my last job before coming to Kuwait was outsourced to India and I have no desire to stay in IT. I am going to be persuing a science degree like Chemistry, Biology, BioChemistry, etc...I know the road ahead is going to be long and difficult and I wonder if I am only digging myself into a whole that is too deep to climb out of?

I apologize for the long post. It has been something I have needed to say for a while and I guess I just wanted to bounce it off you guys here. Thanks.

#805 - 10/16/2005 02:44 AM Re: Concerned about going back...
tt82 Offline

GO FOR IT!!!!
Like you I had the same reservations. I am 40 and this is my first semester back in school. I am a nursing student. I wish I would have done this 15 years ago. I worked in corporate mgmt for 17 years and was layed off. You might have to make some financial scarifies, but it will definitely be worth it. Save as much as you can and just cut down on the frivolous spending. Discuss it with you wife and I am sure you will come to an agreement. You will be OK. You will blend in with the students and you will not be the oldest person in your class. Try to keep up with your studying and assignments. You do not want to get behind. I personally think because we are older, our approach is totally different than when we were teenagers.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.