Online Discussion Forums

Back to College
main | site map | search | features | journal | forums | bookshelf | contact | newsletter
The Library

Re-entry Student GraduateWelcome to our online student discussion forums! This is the place to ask a question about returning to college, share information with other returning students, or just join in the discussion!

For frequently asked questions about returning to college and getting started, please see the Website FAQ. No advertising, promotions, and posting of URLS, please. For additional questions about the use of the discussion forums and forum etiquette, see the Forum FAQ.

Free registration is required to post and participate in the many features of the community, which includes access to the member directory (User List) for networking. Unfortunately, due to large amounts of Internet spam, new registrations are temporarily closed. When registered, users can set preferences to watch a topic or receive an email when someone responds to posts. Be sure to update your profile to take advantage of all the benefits. Have fun!

Topic Options
#806 - 10/16/2005 18:57 PM discouragement
sedative Offline

Loc: ontario
I came across this website today out of fluke actually. I was going to write a letter to a newspaper but I figure I'd try the internet first, and suprisingly its everything i was looking for.

Anyways,Besides that, I am a 20 yr old college student first year in Business Admin, second year of college(I was in journalism prior.) Everytime mid semester approaches or as the school year progresses I find that I lose motivation to do homework for some classes, I'll do it for some, the others i could care less. Sounds typical but heres where the problem arrives. I start to compare myself to other people in my classes, for instance i did a test and got 50% my fault for not studying enough, and people in my class started to ask what everyone got, embarssingly i didnt want to admit it, but once i found that everyone got better then i did. My motivation to continue has vanished, I didnt have the urge to even bother trying. I'm not in competition with people I just find things in life too competetive, someone i knew got a gratifying feeling when they found out i failed and they didn't, they even had the audacity to laugh about it. My question to someone who views the cup as half empty as i do, what are some mechanisms or things that you've done to not get sidetracked by discouragement?

Any help would be great!

#807 - 10/17/2005 06:58 AM Re: discouragement
bronxite Offline

Loc: NYC
Well I'm 5 yrs your senior and because I'm a full time worker, i sometimes tend not to value my education just as much. What I do, is I pay as much attention I possibly could to the lecturer, to try grasp a general understanding (even if he is boring). When test time comes, I will have those ideas at the back of my head and hopefully I always pass with great grades.

#808 - 10/17/2005 15:06 PM Re: discouragement
sedative Offline

Loc: ontario
Yeah, thats exactly what I do, picking up key points the instructor said. But thanks for the suggestion. It's just the pessimism I need to work on. Ah well lol

Moderator:  Admin 

Copyright 1998- WD Communications LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Policies. Back to College® is a registered federal trademark of WD Communications LLC.